New Orleans Fairmont or Ritz Carlton Hotels

Old Mar 9th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans Fairmont or Ritz Carlton Hotels

We are traveling to NO in June. I want a hotel that is historical in ambiance but with good service and nice rooms. I want to stay just outside the French Quarter. Anyone know of these hotels and what is your recommendation. We also are not renting a car - is that a wise choice, can you get around without one? Any other NO info would be appreciated.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:18 PM

The Ritz Carlton had no "historical ambiance". It is about 3 years old, and while beautiful, will not give you that "New Orleans feel" you seem to be looking for. The Fairmont has gotten some less than glowing reviews on this board, but is a beautiful historic hotel and always a treat to stay in. The best is when you can catch a wedding party coming or going to the church across the street - a great site when I was little and still makes me catch my breath today.
You do not need a car in NO.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Dan

I usually agree with neworleanslady but not on this one. The Fairmont is a shadow of its former self. I'd pick the Ritz each and every time despite it's lack of a "New Orleans feel."
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 01:59 PM

What about the Hotel Monteleone? I haven't personally stayed there, but I have been reading good reports about it lately. They just finished a multi-million dollar renovation and it is a hotel that definitely has New Orleans ambience! Although it is located inside the French Quarter, it is in a quieter part of the Quarter.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Dan - I'd stay at the Ritz before the Fairmont, don't get me wrong, but you'll get "Ritz ambiance" not "NO". Sunday brunch is usually a good time.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 02:35 PM

For a good hotel with some history and ambience, I think the Monteleone is the best choice. Unless you are hell-bent on staying "just outside" the quarter, it should fill all your needs. Good luck.
Old Mar 9th, 2005, 04:23 PM

Neither the Ritz nor the Fairmont are anything to write home about. The former is not up to the usual Ritz effort - and the armed guard at the enrance repeatedly informed us not to walk to the right at all - even one block - after leaving the hotel - since the area was not safe.

The Fairmont is all beige, brown and dreary - IMHO an incredibly boring business type hotel and not one I would choose for a vacation.

You would be better at one of the nicer places in the Quarter - which I would think would provide all the atmosphere you would want.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. My main concern with Fairmont was the fact that there were alot of complaints about service on the travel websites. I am checking out the Monteleone. How about the JW Marriott? I believe that used to be Le Meridian which a travel agent recommended to my son.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Dan

I have NEVER seen an armed guard at the entrance to the Ritz. If there is one, he's a fool if he says it's "dangerous." It isn't. Not the prettiest block of the Quarter by any stretch but ugly doesn't equal dangerous.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Monteleone is a great choice as in above reply. Also not renting a car is a great choice. If you want to take day trip to the plantations, there are several car rental locations downtown. Also parking can be a pain esp in the french quarter, as quite abit of the parking is limited in length and zoned for locals with decals. Beware of meter maids there they love giving tickets.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Dan -

Sorry if you missed them - but we were there for a convention about 1 1/2 years ago. There were security guards (with holstered pistols - I guess - I know nothing about guns - but not rifles like in Mexico City - ) at both the Canal St and Porte cochere entrance - preventing anyone without a key card from taking the elevator to the lobby level.

And they repeatedly told people in our group they could not park cars around the corner from the hotel - that they would probably be broken into and going to them after dark would be dangerous.

(I'm from NYC and don;t scare easy - will go anywhere in the city - but these guys were not fooling around!)
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 04:40 PM

JW Marriott and Hotel Monteleone would be excellent choices, but the latter has more of a NO feel.

Have you considered the Windsor Court? Many consider it the best in NO. I just saw an "Ultimate Breaks" rate for May on their website (www.windsorcourthotel.com) for $170/night (it's usually $300+ a night). I just plugged in June 6-7 and I came up with $180. This is the hotel where one of my friends saw Bono at in the lobby.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Dan

You must run with a BAD group, NY! I was at the Ritz tonight. No armed guards anywhere!
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 06:33 PM

Not all of the FQ is like Bourbon St. I think a good hotel with historical feel would be the Omni. It is not right in the middle of things but it is in the FQ. Another very nice hotel just outside the FQ is the Windsor Court, although not really historical in nature, it is a lovely place to stay.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:45 AM
Original Poster

ok while i am going crazxy over hotels, I have another questions. We were going to stay Mon through Fri, but we would also like to be able to see some of the jazz brunches on Sundays and church services. However, the prices seem to go up on the weekends. Is it worth staying through a weekend say Tues through Sunday for this? It seems like we are going to go with the Monteleone, the Windor Court was a bit high--the prices seem to have come down in the last couple of weeks for some reason. Thanks for all your help, keep writing, we need alot of help and info.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:56 AM

That is just so subjective. You can enjoy great jazz without waiting til Sunday brunch. Is it House of Blues or something that you are thinking about? And as far as church services - do you mean stay til Sunday so you can attend a NO church before brunch? The eating and the jazz are good 7 days a week, unless you want to go to a special show. Personally, I enjoy the FQ more during the week when there are a few less people.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Well, looks like we are changing course and booking at the Monteleone, even tho it is in the FQ. Your suggestions had us look into it and it had great reviews and looks nice, and they have great summer rates. Let me know anyway to get to the plantations without taking a tour, since we won't have a car, any of the streetcars go there? Keep coming with suggestions, we appreciate it.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:40 AM
gointoDC

There's also a boutique hotel joined to the Ritz that we loved. Can't remeber the name, but has ambiance and ameneties of Ritz. Mr. B.'s has a fabulous sunday brunch w/ a great jazz combo!

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:23 PM

I think that you will need to take a tour if you will not have a car if you want to see the old plantation homes. There is one in NO, you could probably take a cab to it.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 02:24 AM

We rented a car for one day to see the plantations. The rental place was on Canal St. Picked up the car at 9:00, dropped it off at 4:00. I think it was about $30. The driving was not bad at all. It worked out very well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -