New Orleans Cemetery Photography

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a photographer going to NO for the first time. I am considering doing photographs in/of the cemeteries, but I was concerned about safety.
Is it really dangerous? I could take another person with me. Any thoughts?

What about the walking tours... is there enough latitude to do some photographs while on a tour?

thanks,
ramone
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:35 PM

I went on a walking tour and they gave us plenty of time for picture taking.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 06:18 AM

I agree that you should have plenty of time for picture-taking on a walking tour. It probably would be a good idea to mention it to the tour guide before you start the tour. I definitely feel you'd be safer going with a tour group.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 07:13 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
From what I remember from a trip about many years ago is do not go into a cemetery that isn't full of tourists. We were walking to one that we had seen on the way from the airport and a policeman stopped us and asked us where we were going. We told him and he got pretty angry and said to get out of this area and do not ever go into an empty cemetery because you could be robbed or killed. There were four of us so I don't think taking an extra person makes a difference if you are in the wrong one.

Things may have changed in that length of time but there are plenty of cemeteries that are open to tourists and the tours are very interesting.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:23 AM

p.s. As for taking photos in cemetaries, everyone was doing it, but again, we only went to cemetaries that were listed in a tour guide.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:26 AM

I think it goes without saying that one should avoid strolls through the projects when traveling in any major city - this is hardly a reflection on New Orleans nor a reason to clasify the entire city as shady.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:52 AM

We did a walking tour of the Garden District which included Lafayette Cemetery a couple of years ago. I was able to take several pics and from what I remember this was the last stop on the tour and we were able to spend some time there. The area walking to and from this cemetery was very beautiful. The pics I did with black and white film were awesome.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:45 AM

According to NOLA police it is. Here's a link to their web site:
http://www.nopdonline.com/cem.htm
About.com gives more specific info: http://goneworleans.about.com/od/fam...Cemetaries.htm

I visited NOLA last year with my husband and took a walking tour of St. Louis Cemetery #1 with a group called Save Our Cemeteries. (I think they give tours on Sunday mornings only.) With the exception of the tomb of Voodoo queen Marie Laveau, the pace was slow and there ample time to take lots of photos. Our guide stopped at specific tombs and generally gave a 5-10 min presentations at each one. My husband would use the opportunity to take photos of near-by tombs.

We were there in June and the weather was incredibly hot and "steamy" even in the morning. So, if you visit in the summer, remember your suncreen; take plenty of water and wear a hat.

Old May 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM

I totally agree that you should do a walking tour of the cemetaries versus wandering them alone. I just think every city has bad parts and bad people who prey on tourists at certain attractions. I had my wallet stolen in the Atlanta underground, but I wouldn't classify the city as "shady" because of it.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:13 PM

In addition to the safety issues, we found that in taking an organized cemetery tour, we were able to learn quite a bit about New Orleans that we may or may not have learned otherwise. Our guide was very good and told lots of interesting stories about the area.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 01:31 PM

I must be lucky. I shop at the abovementioned Winn Dixie and find it clean and the staff friendly. Never been called a "white people" either even though the majority of the customers are African-American.

Maybe I'm not a scaredy-cat, too...
Old May 23rd, 2005, 02:19 PM

Really depends on what kind of photography you want to do: Early morning, sunset, mid-day? I assume you're not simply snapping with your vacation digital?

That said, an initial tour is a marvelous idea -- your guide will point out architectural features that you might otherwise miss, and the background and history you will get should enhance your photography experience. There is plenty of photo oppportunities at that time, but perhaps not enough for a creative professional.

Certain cemetaries, as I was told by NO natives, are "safer" than others. Lafayette #1 is in the garden district, and should be OK during daylight with plenty of other tours wandering through. St. Louis #3 is easily accessible, and again, should be pretty safe for a self guided tour. I did both of those on my own during a trip last summer.

Avoid St. Luois #1 (do that with a tour) and St. Luois #2 (I don't even think tours go there).

There are some interesting Jewish cemeteries as well, plus one in Metarie. Google "dangerous cemeteries in New Orleans" and you'll find all kinds of info.

And you NO residents, please do let me know if I'm totally off base here -- or if I was simply foolhardy and lucky last year. I would not want to even risk steering anyone wrong.

B/

Old May 25th, 2005, 06:10 AM
Dan

SimoneSassett's silly post was rightfully yanked by the board monitors. Avoid the projects. Duh! The St. Louis #1 cemetary is right next door but no one will bother you if you visit between its published hours (9am-4pm, I think). N.O. has all types of people and we all get along pretty well!
Old May 30th, 2005, 07:17 PM

I have spent the last month in NOLA,I was in the downtown area for 10 days and in East Nawlins' the rest of the time. New Orleans appears to have many ethnic sections, but, also seems to be a fluid blend of different folks. I did most of my point to point downtown on or near Canal Street, the Quarter, and on foot, I did not feel at all unsafe. It is a city that never sleeps. Like all places, I am sure Thugs abound. On the local TV each night, they reported 2-3 murders, but it appered they where killing each other.