Search

New Orleans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 05:13 PM
len
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Orleans

My friends and I are visiting NOLA this weekend. Couple of questions: as far as local swamp tours is the airboat the way to go? Also Mid-city lanes, how do we visit, do we reserve a lane or buy tickets for the shoe or both? As far as cemeteries if we were to visit just one which should it be and do we need a guide?Finally House of Blues Brunch, fun time or dumb tourist trap? thanks
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Captain Tommy's Swamp Airboat tour was great. Mid-city lanes, I suggest you take the streetcar to the end of the line, then take a cab the rest of the way. Take a cab back. House of Blues, tourist trap. Go to the Court of Two Sisters for the Jazz Brunch, great food.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Dan

I would consider House of Blues to be a pretty fun time, while Court of Two Sisters is pretty well regarded locally as a tourist trap.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:45 AM

I probably shouldn't even answer this since I've not taken a swamp tour around New Orleans. However, we did do an airboat tour in the Everglades. Way too loud for my taste, had to even wear earplugs. If I'm out on the bayou, I want to hear the sounds, not a very loud motor. I'd find a tour company that takes small boats with relatively small motors.
Old Mar 14th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Swamp tours - I would not go on an airboat if you are interested in seeing any wildlife or enjoying the peaceful, quiet of the swamp. Airboats are loud and very disruptive. We went with Capt Nick's Wildlife Safaris and had a great time. It was more expensive than your average tour, but we had a private guide. I have heard that Honey Island Tours is also very good. The guides are very knowledgable about the local area.

Mid-City Lanes - We haven't been there, but I have heard that reserving a lane is a good idea if you don't want to wait for one. If you don't care that much about bowling though, you can just go there to hang out.

Cemeteries - definitely go with a tour group - for your safety and for the information. Every source I have ever seen says do not go to the cemeteries without a guide. If you are staying in the FQ, check out the St Louis Cemetery - we took the cemetery/voodoo tour with the Historic New Orleans Walking Tour Co and it was very good. Next trip we will tour Lafayette cemetery in the GD.

House of Blues Brunch - haven't been there, heard it was a tourist trap. We tried brunch at the Court of Two Sisters and it was ok. The courtyard was really nice, very relaxing to hang out in. The food was ok, nothing to write home about though.