New England Trip

Jul 18th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

New England Trip

I plan on taking a trip to New England next summer. We are mainly into the outdoors (hiking, exploring, etc) and historical sights along with quaint towns. I have seen a lot of Maine, driving through the White Mountains of NH, and Vermont several times. Cape Cod is, however, one of the places in New England I haven't been to. Newport, Rhode Island looks interesting as well. If I have a week to 10 days, should I focus on Newport, Cape Cod, and the Boston Area or do I have time to maybe explore the White Mountains more or Vermont?
Thanks-
Jul 18th, 2011, 05:11 AM

I'd stick with the Cape, Newport, and Boston, as there's plenty enough to see just here in 7-10 days. All are well worth the visit, too.
Jul 18th, 2011, 05:58 AM

Yep, more than enough in Cape, Newport, Boston, also Salem, Portsmouth, NH...and why not take in historic sites such as Concord/Lexington and in Boston (have you done the Freedom Trail?) We're headed to Newport for a day trip this week incl. harbor cruise...went to historic houses years ago.
Jul 18th, 2011, 08:07 AM

I agree, with 7-10 days split your time between the Cape, Newport and Boston. You can do a day trip to Salem MA and maybe Portsmouth NH as well but you are short on time. Assume you are flying so put Boston first or last because you won't need a car.
Jul 18th, 2011, 08:46 AM

Newport is very busy in the summer. If you are in Salem, MA check out Marblehead too. I would skip Postsmouth. You could take the fast Ferry to Proviencetown from Boston. That would be fun.
Jul 20th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Im going to be driving up from the DC area. I think I might skip Newport and just do the Cape and the White Mountains, maybe with a stop in Boston?
Thanks-