Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Is this Boston – Newport – Nantucket itinerary feasible?

Aug 10th, 2018, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, I’ve been to Boston before on biz and am planning this itinerary for 4 days in first week of October. Is this feasible or too much driving or wrong allocation

Saturday Night Land at Boston

Sunday drive via Providence and Mystic seaport to end at Newport Rhode Island

Monday Newport all day

Tuesday to Nantucket or else Cape Cod and end at Boston

Wednesday half day in Boston.

I figure this will show us the greatest beauty spots in southern New England.

What do you think?
Aug 11th, 2018, 08:57 AM

I think this is far too ambitious.

Mystic requires a full day between Mystic Seaport and the Aquarium. Not sure when your flight gets in, but unless it’s very early, you won’t do these attractions justice, especially if the plane is late. There’s a ton to do and see in Newport — I’d just head there directly. If you like historic mansions, you could spend 3-4 days there easily.

It is possible to see Nantucket in a day, but you need to catch the first ferry of the morning over and the last one back to do it. Two or three days is actually about right there if you really want to do the island justice. Driving from Newport to Hyannis, which is where that ferry leaves from, is the only way to manage this. And unless you leave Newport incredibly early, you probably won’t make it in time, especially if there’s a weekend day involved in season. Regardless, you won’t be able to bring your car on the ferry unless you have reserved months in advance — you’d have to park some distance in a lot and walk or shuttle there. You’d be better picking one Cape Cod town or Mystic instead.

Finally, I don’t understand the appeal of spending half a day only in Boston unless you’ve been before and only want to see one moderate sized attraction, such as the JFK Presidential Library, Gardner Museum, or Aquarium. Three days is the bare minimum I’d recommend here, and that’s with no side trips, of which there are several great ones (Plymouth, Salem, Gloucester, Concord, New Bedford, etc.).
Aug 11th, 2018, 09:09 AM

I'd recommend you limit yourself to two of those places at most. Boston and Newport, for example. If you really have no interest in spending time in Boston, personally I'd fly to Providence instead and do Newport and the Connecticut coast.

Note that we are not "slow travelers" (we like to pack in a lot) but your itinerary seems like it has to be done at warp speed!

Last edited by sf7307; Aug 11th, 2018 at 09:11 AM.
Aug 12th, 2018, 06:41 AM

With 4 days, I would do Newport and Cape Cod. You could easily spen the entire 4 days exploring Cape Cod, which is 60 miles long, with some of the most beautiful beaches, lighthouses and villages anywhere .
Aug 13th, 2018, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

thanks for hour help - question, Cape Cod or Mystic seaport

Thanks for your help, I realise warp speed is too fast
So if the plan is Boston and Newport then is the third element Cape Cod or Mystic Seaport?

(I think Nantucket is off the list due to the time required to get there and back)
Aug 13th, 2018, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, I realise warp speed is too fast
So if the plan is Boston and Newport then is the third element Cape Cod or Mystic Seaport?
Aug 13th, 2018, 04:33 AM

The Cape is quite large and has a number of attractive towns and beaches -- it might be difficult to get more than a brief look at any of them given your time frame.

Mystic on the other hand is compact. If you have an interest in maritime history you will have an enjoyable day at the Seaport. Since you are missing Nantucket, you might want to swing by Stonington Borough, a few miles from the Seaport for its collection of well-maintained 19th century buildings. Not quite Nantucket, but a remarkable spot.

Assuming you do have an interest in seafaring, you might consider fitting in a stop in New Bedford, Ma, with its excellent whaling museum.
Aug 13th, 2018, 04:40 AM

I agree with picking two places, either Boston and Newport or Boston and the Cape. If you go to Newport you could take a ferry to Block Island for a day (the ferry only takes an hour). It would give you a good feel for an island if that is what you are looking for. You could do Boston, Newport and the Cape but you would really only be doing a fly by as you don't have too much time.
Aug 13th, 2018, 03:00 PM

Mystic is good for one afternoon - interesting if you are into history. The Cape is 60 miles long, with picturesque little towns, vast streches of beach, lighthouses, walking and biking trails and amazing scenery - you could easily spend all you time here.
Aug 14th, 2018, 05:55 AM

Weather in early October is usually still OK. I'd drive to Newport on Sunday morning, spend the rest of Sunday and Monday morning there, then drive back toward Boston slowly after lunch on Monday, stopping in New Bedford and ending somewhere near the Cape, perhaps in Chatham. Then drive around the Cape on Tuesday morning (maybe stop in Plymouth) and end up in Boston that night. I would still consider this "warp speed" touring, but it will give you a taste of the region. And this will allow you to end up on the Cape on a weeknight when you probably won't need to make advance reservations. This gives you some flexibility if you decide you want to take the ferry to Nantucket after all (if the weather is nice and warm, as it can be).

Do make a reservation for Newport and pick out options in all the other places you might stay, but don't reserve a room until the day you arrive. In the worst case, there are plenty of chain hotels around Wareham and Hyannis where you can stay without a reservation at all.
Aug 14th, 2018, 06:58 AM

You could fly into TF Green in Providence - as longs that does not add a connection and more time to - and out of Boston. Or skip Boston completely. Providence is now a nice little city (unlike when I went to school there many, many years ago). Just over an hour to Newport. Then add Mystic or a day on the Cape. Wondering if there is a ferry from Mystic to Nantucket or Cape Cod - don't know, but should be easy to find out. Your itinerary is feasible only if you want to see things in a drive-by manner.