New Comfort Inn--Midtown West

Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

New Comfort Inn--Midtown West

My kids (21 and 19) will be in NYC for 1 night on Dec. 27, and would like a reasonably-priced hotel in a safe area. Comfort Inn on 44th between 8th & 9th just opened in Sept.--has anyone stayed at this hotel? Is the location ok? How about the Hampton Inn on 35th? They hope to go to Rockefeller Center, the Guggenheim museum and possibly catch a show on Broadway. Also, what's the best way to get "day of" theater tickets? Thanks!
Nov 24th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Just spent three nights here last week. Rooms are all new, small but not tiny with comfortable beds. Free internet and nice breakfast with eggs, fruit, cereal, waffles, bagels, juice, and pastries. Great location for Times Square, theatres, and dining yet not on a main avenue. Only downside was hot water a bit sparse in the morning and elevator down once for a little while.
Nov 24th, 2009, 11:21 AM

Since you are coming at the very height of the tourist season and only for one night, I really can't recommend that you try for same-day theater tickets. Of course, you can, but friends tried to buy tickets last Saturday and had to wait for almost 90 minutes, and then they had very few choices.

If you want to see a specific show, bite the bullet and buy tickets now. There are some discounted tickets available for several shows (try Playbill.com or Broadwaybox.com to see what discounts are currently available). Or pay full price if you want to see something specific.

I am normally a huge fan of TKTS, where you buy same-day tickets, but the tourist hordes are descending right now, and you might have to waste hours waiting in line and then not get anything good. Totally not worth it if you have limited time.
Nov 24th, 2009, 12:46 PM

I agree with Doug on being a HUGE fan on TKTS, but shhhhhhh, don't tell all the tourists there is a second location at the South St. Seaport. The line there is rarely long and it opens earlier so you would have more options on shows.....then walk up Water St to Chinatown for some Dim Sum.
Nov 24th, 2009, 01:11 PM

Will your two kids be on their own? Verify with Comfort Inn that they allow young adults of that age. Some hotels require one person in the party to be at least 25. Your kids will probably enjoy the big city vibe of the area.
Nov 24th, 2009, 05:33 PM

I stayed at the 35 St. Hampton Inn for four nights this past summer, and was very happy with it. Great location near Herald Square and subway just a few steps away; nice rooms, good breakfast and free wi-fi.
Nov 24th, 2009, 05:54 PM

The location of both places you mention are "ok" but the details of some of the reviews are not. Have you read this? http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...ECK_RATES_CONT

What price were you seeing that was so appealing? If they can manage in a king bed, the Millenium UN Plaza (views and a rooftop pool) is $209 plus tax. Closer to the theaters, travelzoo.com has a special on the Hotel Mela for $219 plus tax.

The 27th is a Sunday and don't know if you realize most shows don't have an evening performance (although that week they might). I agree they'll waste a lot of time trying to get same day tickets too. "In the Heights" is one show that does have Sun. evening performances and you might find a discount to buy in advance on broadwaybox.com after T'giving.
Nov 25th, 2009, 05:03 AM

mclaurie, I hadn't even thought about that day being a Sunday. They definitely need to plan on attending a matinee if they want to have any choices at all. (And in this case the South Street Seaport TKTS booth won't be much help in keeping the wait down since they sell matinee tickets the day BEFORE).
Nov 25th, 2009, 02:53 PM

We've also stayed at the 35th St. Hampton and thought it was great. The location was perfect, the rooms were new (although small, which we expected), and it had a great free breakfast.
Nov 25th, 2009, 03:51 PM

All but three shows will be having performances that Sunday evening. The only three not performing are Hair, Jersey Boys and South Pacific. Since that is the busiest time of the year, I'd recommend getting tickets now. Be advised, because it is peak time, the options for discount tickets will be fewer than usual.
If they decide to go to the theater, I would urge them to get tickets soon!