Search

New Boston Museum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 10:06 AM
TKT
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Boston Museum

I just wanted to get some feedback on a new museum. The major new museum in Boston is going to focus on the history of Boston/Massachusetts. I think this is a HUGE mistake, most tourist from outside the area won't be all that interested. I would rather see a museum of the American Revolution. I have been to other city history museums and they are rarely crowded and not memorable. New museums should have a national, not regional, emphasis. Any thoughts?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 10:12 AM

New museums should have a regional, not national, emphasis.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:05 AM

I'm confused, as I often am.

What's the question ?

I think there's enough wonderful history of Boston to warrant a museum.

If the funds are there and a location is available, what's the problem ?

If they build it, I'd guess many will come.

I grew up just outside of Boston and I know there's a lot I'd like to learn.

Marion

Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:48 AM

The location is a chunk of the recently-recovered area above the Big Dig, right in the Quincy Marketplace/North End/Aquarium area so popular with visitors. The theme of the museum will be the 200 years *after* the Revolution. I'm sorry that TKT thinks it will be boring, and I might be a bit of a Chauvinist, but I do think the Boston has enough history in the past 200 years to cobble together something interesting.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Ted Kennedy alone would warrant an exhibit or two. oh wait this isn't a Ripley's Believe or Not museum.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:05 PM

That's great news! When is the museum slated to open? I agree with the others, there is so much Boston history in 200 years after the Revolution (heck just the Big Dig years would surely fill up a wing). Look forward to visiting it!
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Thanks anonymous !

I'll do some online research to educate myself.

I think it's a grand idea !

Marion
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:21 PM
TKT
Original Poster

I don't think a regional museum will have national appeal over a long period of time. The succesful new museums I have been to, do have a national theme, The Constitution Center in Philly and the Spy Museum in DC are both very successful.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:22 PM

When I visit a city, I want to learn mostly about THAT AREA.

Other museums are not crowded because an average Joe is interested more in visiting a bar, not a museum or an opera.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:23 PM
QC

I would be very interested in a Boston History museum, if it was done well.

A similar museum in Montreal was one of the highlights of my visit.

If I am understanding your theory right, you think that visitors are NOT interested in learning about where they are visiting, but ARE interested in general topics.

You have it exactly backwards. I live in NYC. There is nothing in a Boston Art, Natural History, or Science museum that is so spectacular that I'm going to drop everything and go to Boston. Nothing against the many fabulous museums in Boston, they are first-rate. But if you live in or near NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, or Washington why would you go to Boston for museums? All these cities already have great Art, Natural History, Zoos, and Science museums.

But it's slim pickings around here on Boston or New England history. Now that is an attraction that is new and interesting and I can't get at home.

Also, Philadelphia offers extraordinary competition in the American Revolution category.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 12:25 PM
QC

"The Constitution Center in Philly"

That has a strong local connection. If it was located in Cincinnati or Detroit, no one would make a special trip to see it. The Constitution was written across the street from the center.

"and the Spy Museum in DC are both very successful."

It's mostly Gift Shop and Restaurant with a small attraction attached. Disney World is also very popular. Meanwhile, around the corner, Ford's Theater (Free) goes begging.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:05 PM

I think the Museum of the City of New York, and the Museum of London are both very good, and relatively popular. That said, they aren't going to replace, say the Metropolitan or the British Museum as the tourist's first choice. I don't think tourists are going to come to Boston to see the Boston City Museum (or whatever its going to be called). But it could certainly be part of the rich cultural experience offered here.

I'm not sure we have the resources to build an American History Museum that could compete with, say, the Smithsonian. I mean, isn't that what you are suggesting? it seems to me that trying to attempt such a thing could end up a bigger mistake.

I haven't been to the Constitution Center in Philadelphia, but it seems to me that a museum which focuses on a small historical area is just as limited as one that focuses on a small geographical area. And, as OC points out, no one would go to the Constitution Center if it were in Cleveland.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:08 PM

Speaking of Cincinnati, and national themes, could somebody please explain to me why the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is located in Cleveland?
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:11 PM

...because "Cleveland Rocks"!

Okay, I watched too much Drew Carey

I'm sorry TKT, but Boston's history is so rich, it should have it's own museum.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 01:33 PM

you know, the funny thing is I recall Boston was one of 2 or 3 finalist cities for the Rock&Roll hall of fame. I think Philadelphia may have been the 3rd. I don't know how Cleveland got chosen.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 02:26 PM
KT

My opinion:

Despite recent thinking to the contrary, which seems to favor big-draw glamor, museums aren't just tourist attractions. They also fulfill an educational and cultural function and serve a local audience.

As a tourist, I've been to several local history museums, and I've really loved some of them (e.g., the Museum of the City of New York, the Amsterdam Historical Museum). But even if they, like other specialized museums, aren't on the top of the must-see list for most tourists with on short visit, that doesn't mean they're a mistake.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM
TKT
Original Poster

These are links to the Boston Museum and the New Contemporary Art Museum.
I would love a Boston History Museum for myself, I just think to gain long term support it has to hav a strong revolution peice. I have enjoyed the City Museums in NYC and Chicago, but when I have gone they have been near empty.

http://www.bostonmuseum.org/siting.shtml

http://www.icaboston.org/home/information/thenewica
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 04:40 PM

And then there is the sad tale of the DC City Museum, currently "temporarily" closed because of a lack of visitors.

Another interesting note, the Spy Museum is a for-profit entity, one of the few such "museums" I know of.