Boston: Things to Do -- and Food

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A family group of 10 of us (including a 12- and 17-year old) will be in Boston for a few days in June, staying at the Colonnade in the Back Bay area. We're seeing the Blue Man Group, doing the Boston Duck Tour, touring Fenway Park, doing the Freedom Trail, and going to Salem one evening for the Ghost Footsteps Tour (or something like that). Are there any other "must see/do" things you would recommend? Also, what about good (casual) restaurants in the area? Thanks for your help!!
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:05 AM

Boston has many wonderful museums; check their web sites to see if they might interest all or part of your grup. The Museum of Fine Arts, Boston Museum of Science (www.mos.org) and the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum all in Boston are charming, accessible, and worthwhile. In Salem, you might want to arrive early and visit the new Peabody Museum.

A good restaurant for a group is Fire and Ice, which (originally at least) has been marketed as "Mongolian barbecue" -- choose your ingredients and they're cooked for you on a big grill.

If the 17-year-old might be considering applying to a college in the Boston area, of course you should visit there, too.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:17 AM

Right in your hotel is Brasserie Jo, a French bistro. My kids love it - the chocolate french toast is sinful. The escargot is great. Across the street is the Prudential Center with all the chain restaurants - Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, Legal Seafood. Also within walking distances is Davios (across the street from Fire and Ice) - it high end Italian and very good. Boyleston is on the other side of the Prudential Center and there are several good restaurants there - Abe & Louie's, and others. Newbury St is one street over from Boyleston - there's Sonsie and Stephanies.
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Maybe a harbor cruise or a whale watch? Also, I really like the Aquarium, and often take friends and family there when they visit.

definitely Brasserie Jo. Be sure to order the profiteroles for dessert. They bring out thte plate of puffs with icecream, and a big pitcher of hot fudge. Which they won't stop pouring until you tell them too
Old May 18th, 2005, 11:49 AM

I would add the JFK library. And second the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum although I always get lost going there. Plus, eat your way across Fanuill Hall (I'm sure I didn't spell that right).
Old May 18th, 2005, 12:59 PM

Restaurants: Stephanie's on Newbury, the food court at Fanueil Hall (quite a few of the vendors are still independent/not chain restaurants-- though there are a bunch of chains in there as well), nearly any of the restaurants in the North End, for really good Thai food in the Fenway area try Brown Sugar cafe.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM

Maybe a baseball game? Fenway Park is one of the grand old places. And you can eat a Fenway Frank if you dare.
Old May 18th, 2005, 01:37 PM

Another suggestion for a large group would be Durgin Park at Fanuiel Hall. It's fun and a huge menu and of course good seafood there. It has been a Boston traditon for MANY years.

I'd also recommend the Museum of Science, which has some really good exhibits.

If you go to the Boston Museum of Art you are right in the middle of Northeastern and you might take a quick of the "campus" there.

Have a great time and enjoy Boston.
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New England is all about ICE CREAM! Be sure to have some ! Herrell's, Toscanini's, Christina's, J.P. Licks, Lilly's, Richardson's, Ron's Gourmet....seek and ye shall find!
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Henrietta's Kitchen in Harvard Sq.
Excuse me, for never promoting fast food.
Old May 18th, 2005, 05:57 PM

And Brigham's for a Chocolate Frappe, (that's a shake to out-of-towners),

Is there still a Brigham's location in Boston?
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the North End as far as places to go for great food. (forgive me if i overlooked it). If you like Italian food, you must go to the North End area of Boston, and pick out any of the little authentic italian places to eat. If I go back I would eat there every night.

There's also a well-known bakery place that is famous for their cannoli's.
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

You guys are giving me some terrific suggestions, both on more things to do AND places to eat -- I greatly appreciate all the tips!

For sure, we want to try Brasserie Jo, especially since it's in our hotel. And I didn't realize Fanueil Hall had so many places to eat!

clarkgriswold: ice cream is my WEAKNESS! I definitely want to get to at least some of the places you mentioned!

wingfoot: Italian is right at the top of the list of food for most of us on this trip. Does anyone have a specific favorite Italian restaurant in the area?

Some of us love good seafood; some don't care for it. Does anyone have a suggestion for a good seafood restaurant that also has other choices for the non-seafood folk?
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:52 AM

For seafood/nonseafood, maybe you could try the Daily Catch in the North End (assuming its still there as its been a while since I've eaten there). Its an Italian place that has some great seafood.
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:12 AM

At the wharf:
No-Name Restaurant. It’s plain, very rustic, and the fried clams…so good!
http://www.theinsider.com/Boston/Res...ts/no-name.htm

Lucia's Ristorante in the North End on Hanover Street is our favorite for Italian food. It was quaint, reasonable, with excellent food and service. We liked it so much we returned several nights later.

http://www.epinions.com/rest-Restaur...splay_~reviews
Lucia’s home page

http://www.luciaristorante.com/pastandpresent.html
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:46 AM

I like the Daily Catch in the North End too, but I have a feeling its a little small for a party of 10. I mean, I think they only hold about 30-40 people total. That could be an issue with some other North End restaurants too.

Another Italian food option might be Rustic Kitchen in Faneuil Hall. It has tables out on the terrace, which is nice, and I think the food is excellent.

Old May 20th, 2005, 09:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you head north out of Boston on the freeway, Rte 114 Middleton is a must-exit....for Richardson's Famous Ice Cream. It's only a couple of miles from the freeway and WELL WORTH a detour...there's mini golf and a driving range, and some of the best ice cream anywhere. Try the TOLL HOUSE COOKIE ice cream or the Double Fudge Brownie. Or the famous only-in-New-England flavor "Grapenut".
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Head over to Harvard Square on the red "T" line on Friday or Saturday night for some "unique" street entertainment. Then have dinner at Casablanca.
Old Jun 3rd, 2006, 08:28 PM

saving...