Need San Antonio Riverwalk Hotel Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two families with teens heading to San Antonio in early August. Looking for suggestions on a hotel. We would like to be on the Riverwalk. Not looking for anything fancy, just clean, safe and convenient. A friend stayed at the Hyatt on business and liked it, but thought it might be expensive for familiy vacation. I'll be checking that one out. Any other recommendations?
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 11:04 AM

Hi! Just received the TravelZoo Top 20 today (you can sign up for the weekly e-mails) & there is one on there for the Hotel Valencia Riverwalk in San Antonio; must be booked by June 13 & good for travel through Sept 1; $139 on Sun-Thurs; weekends $20 more. Good luck!
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 03:29 PM

I stayed at La Quinta and was surprised at how decent it was. It's around 2 blocks from the riverwalk.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 04:22 PM

The Marriott Riverwalk (there is also the Rivercenter, across the street, but smaller rooms...) often has specials. August probably has specials. It's not the high season. You will want something with a pool for sure.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 05:44 PM
JRP

Stayed at both the new Grand Hyatt and The Drury. I don't know your budget but generally the Grand Hyatt might be expensive for a family- especially if you require multiple rooms.

We enjoyed The Hyatt and the fact that it's a little off the main part of the Riverwalk. It's a great property and nicely designed.

However, The Drury is easily within reach of the more active areas of the Riverwalk. We liked the location for it's accessibility. The room was much larger and more affordable than The Hyatt. The price is right, the staff was incredible and the rooftop pool was outstanding.

Our budget would dictate where we might stay if we were to visit again.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:24 PM

That's a great price for he Valencia - I'd grab it.
August in SA is not exactly high season it will be hot and humid) so you might wan to check what the Hyatt Regency on the Riverwalk has to offer - it would be a great location for your group.
Old Jun 4th, 2008, 06:34 PM
OO

Hyatt Regency and Grand Hyatt are two different hotels. To further complicate matters, there is also a Hyatt Place on the Riverwalk. 3 levels of hotels, 3 price ranges, Grand Hyatt generally the highest, and Hyatt Place the lowest.

If I were a family with teens in August, I'd head to yet a 4th Hyatt. Hyatt Hill Country
Resort...great pools, lazy river, golf, spa, hiking paths.

No one can accuse me of prejudice!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:58 AM
mp

We stayed at the Valencia with our 13 year old this past March and LOVED it - great room, terrific staff, right on the river walk, good gym and VERY reasonable for March. The room has a suite - two separate rooms king bed and a living room with a queen size sofa bed. I'd jump on that price. too.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Gosh, OO, that was so fair and balanced - did you used to work for Fox? ;-)

Agree that Hyatt Hill Country resort would be a great choice, especially at that time of year, but OP specifically asked about Riverwalk.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 08:42 AM

We stayed at the Hotel Valencia last week and were very happy with the hotel, room (427) and service.
The entry from the street is minimalistic to say the least, the lobby is chic and the rooms are very clean and very comfortable. We stayed in a room on the fourth floor overlooking the Riverwalk, with french doors to a small stepout balcony. The rooms below us had larger balconies with a bistro table and 2 chairs. Very pretty setting. Traffic noise as well as people noise from the hotel restaurant below can be heard at times but when we closed the french doors it was quiet. We had the Reality Escape Package which included room service breakfast and valet parking. We didn't use the spa or eat at the restaurant.
I would definitely stay at The Valencia again and highly recommend it.
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 04:23 PM

What do you want to do in San Antonio that pulls you to the Riverwalk? I too would recommend the Hyatt Hill Country if you are just going to visit San Antonio in general. It is minutes from Sea World and Fiesta Texas and an easy drive to the missions, including the Alamo. When we go, that is where we stay with several other families, and everyone enjoys it.