Getting from Times Square to Ground Zero

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any suggestions on the easiest/fastest/cheapest way to get from Penn Station to Ground Zero? Also, is the Statue of Liberty ferry anywhere near Ground Zero?

Thanks!
Old Oct 25th, 2008, 06:29 PM

Yes--they are nearby--take the subway. Be sure to see St. Paul's--the staging area for some rescues.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 02:19 AM

FRom Penn Station take the #1 train and get off at City Hall or go all the way down to South Ferry.

IF you get off at City Hall, you can see St. Paul's Chapel which will be on your right heading down Broadway. When you get to the Merrill Lynch Building, look right. The World Trade Center rebirth is right behind the ML Building.

Walking further down Broadway, you will see Trinity Church, Wall St, The Customs House (with the Bull in front) and Battery Park and finally the Staten Island Ferry.

The ferry to The Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island is to the right of the SI Ferry building.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 06:42 AM

A clarification/correction: There is no "City Hall" stop on the #1 train.
I take the Chambers Street stop when I'm going to that area on that train and then walk about 5 blocks south to "Ground Zero"
If you take the #2 or #3 express train (also available from Penn Station or Times Square--where are you really starting??), there is a stop called "Park Place" which is across the street from City Hall and sounds like the one travelbuff might be thinking of. It leaves you about the same distance from "Ground Zero" as the #1 train.
From Times Square OR Penn Station you also have other options to that area on other train lines (E train, I think).

The #1 is the easiest down to South Ferry station(last stop on the train,) Just make sure to be in on the first 5 cars of the train, sinc it is a small station and the other subway car doors can't open there)Follow signs to the correct ferry

Also, if you're doing this on a weekend, make sure you look for any train reroutings that are common in that area as a new transit hub is being built
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 07:59 AM

Great resources:

A map.

www.hopstop.com

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 12:40 PM

If you're headed to Ground Zero first, take the E train downtown from Penn Station. The last stop is World Trade Center.

If you want the State of Liberty Ferry first, take the 1 train to South Ferry.

Old Oct 26th, 2008, 04:32 PM

If you are first time in NY - you may want to do one of the hop on / off bus tours. It will take you by most things to see and you can get on and off as many times as you want.

If not - I would take a taxi - easy.

8-)
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Hi

It should be easy enough to get from Times Square to Ground zero on the subway. My wife and I used the subway all the time in NYC and it is a great way to get around. We have been to NYC a couple of times and here is a trip report with pictures from last year http://gardkarlsen.com/NYC_travelogue_2007.htm and one from 2004 http://gardkarlsen.com/new_york_city_trip_report.htm . Maybe you can find some useful info there Get in touch if you have any questions.

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I think we will be just fine getting around, thanks to your suggestions.