Getting from UWS to Staten Island Ferry

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a free day in the city tomorrow, and although this is my 4th time to NYC I've never seen the Statue of Liberty! However, I am a poor college student so I heard the best way to see it is from the (free!) Staten Island Ferry. What's the best way to get there using subways from 86th and Broadway in the UWS? I tried hopstop.com but it kept telling me I didn't have a valid address.

How often to ferries leave?

Also, is it reasonable to look around the financial district while I'm on that part of the island? Or what are some other things I can see down there?

Thanks for all your help!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:16 AM

Use Battery PArk as your destination. That should work.
Debi
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:31 AM

You're right near the train that takes you directly down there. Take the 1 train, at the corner of 86th & B'Way all the way downtown to its last stop at South Ferry. Pay attention to the announcements, as you have to be in the first 6 cars (I think) in order to get off at the stop.

Note - this is the local train, so it will take a while to get down. If you want to save a little bit of time, you can switch to the 2/3 across the platform at 72nd St and switch back to the 1 at Chambers St.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:37 AM

Actually, if you use staten island ferry as your destination, you get the right directions (take the #1 train to the last stop-South Ferry). What's weird and wrong is the map and the walking directions from the subway exit to the ferry terminal. You might try the actual address which is 1 Whitehall st. and see what that does.

There's a ferry schedule online. http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/mas...fery.html#info

You absolutely can see the financial district and Battery Park while you're down there. This might be a good website for you to check out.
http://www.downtownny.com/
Take note there's a free shuttle bus down there to help you get around. Info should be on that last website.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 07:47 AM

The 1 train does take you to South Ferry and when you come upstairs you are actually in the ferry terminal. The best time to see the statue is just after nightfall, to see the lights come up.

YOu might take the 2/3 train and get off at City Hall, and walk down Broadway to see some of the sites,
City Hall
St. Paul's Chapel
World Trade Center site
Wall ST
Trinity Church
Battery Park
STaten Island Ferry Terminal

The trip back will be beautiful with all the lights in the city.

Then take the #1 train back uptown.

Have a great time.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:01 AM
maj

It actually is easier to do than it sounds. We took the 1 subway from the UWS to the terminal. There are signs all over in the cars and they were also announcing frequently to be sure you were in the first (I think it is 4) cars. Unfortunately there are no numbers of the cars that we saw. We just stood on the front end of the platform and counted the cars as they went past when we got on the train. When the car stops at stations you can also get off and move ahead to the next car if you're not sure. Many others will be in the same situation you are. When you get out you are right there -- just follow the signs. The ferry terminal is very large and was pretty full (try not to go during the commuter rush hour) but we got on the next ferry that came in easily (you can pull up a schedule on their web site to see how frequent they run) and it wasn't even very full.

When we got back we followed the signs through Battery Park and then up through the Financial District, WTC and so on. Enjoy.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:10 AM

The reason for getting in one of the first 6 cars for the ferry is that the South Ferry subway stop is one of the oldest in the system and the platform is shorter so that only 6 cars fit and only those doors will open.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:27 AM

It's actually the first 5 cars, and they have signs in every car on the line reminding you of this (and the sign is in 5 languages!)

The easiest thing to do is just get on the downtown #1 train on the NW corner 86th and Broadway (on the side of the Gap store) and walk to the southern end of the station(go all the way to the right when you pass the turnstiles)

Then just get on the very first car of the train (you'll know it's the first carsince you'll see the train approach) sit down for 20 minutes, and relax till the last stop. You cannot miss the signs for the ferry!
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM

Unless you're completely uncomfortable on the subways, might I suggest you take the 1 to 72nd street and switch to the 2 or 3 Express Train. Take the 2 or 3 to Chambers and switch back to the 1 train and take it to South Ferry.

Switching to the Express will be at least 10 to 15 minutes faster.

BTW, the BEST spot to be leaving NYC is the back of the boat.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for the detailed and great advice... again. I really appreciate it and look forward to my trip!