Reload this Page >

Need restaurant recs for upcoming trip to Memphis

Old May 7th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

We are going to Memphis from July 2-4(I know it will be hot, but we live in New Orleans so we're used to it). We are staying at the Spring Hill Suites (Marriott) in Downtown Memphis near Beale Street. This is my first trip to Memphis, but my husband has visited before for a weekend.

We are staying for two nights/three full days. Our main goals for the trip are to visit Graceland for a day, visit the National Civil Rights Musueum, hang out at Beale Street both nights, eat some good barbeque, and see the ducks at the Peabody.

From my reading it appears that Rendezvous, near the Peabody Hotel, is one of the top BBQ places. If anyone can recommend several other places to eat, with one preferably near Graceland for the day that we spend there. We would like to visit more down-homey, BBQ/Country Cooking types of places because we get all of the fine dining we need in NOLA
Old May 8th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

TTT for help pls
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:15 PM

We really like the original Corky's. Great food and a fun place to eat. You can look up their locations on-line.
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:39 PM
trippinkpj

My hubby and daughter loved the Rendevous, although I've read good things about Corky's too.

Old May 8th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

I've heard a lot about Rendevous, but I know that Corky's is a chain which gets mixed reviews.

Do you all have any other suggestions?
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:07 AM

I was in Memphis in February. We enjoyed Corky's, I actually like their wet ribs better than the dry. Had planned to go to Rendezvous but the only day that fit into our schedule was Sunday night and they are closed (also closed on Monday).

One place we really liked is The Beauty Shop. It is not downtown but is midtown on Cooper Street. People on this forum recommended it. We went for lunch. It's just a fun place, used to be a beauty shop and has the old hair dryers, etc. Not homecooking, probably a little more upscale, but very good food. We went for lunch, I had crepes and my daughter had a sandwich. For desert we had a chocolate banana crepe that was one of the best things I have ever had.

When you are on Beale Street make sure you go to Rum Boogie Cafe and hear the Billy Gibson Band. We were there on Super Bowl Sunday, hardly a soul in the place. The band was great and we got a chance to talk to them during their break. Doesn't look like they are playing there in May. I am on their e-mail list for band updates so if I get any info I will update you.

The Civil Rights Museum is amazing. We spent several hours there and were so moved. You also CAN NOT miss a tour of Sun Records. It is only about an hour long but was one of our favorite visits. Even though my DD is only 22, she still loved hearing about all the stars of the 40's and 50's who recorded there.

As far as restaurants by Graceland, we didn't tour it, only drove by and took a picture. Just didn't have time to go inside. I will tell you, though, that the area around Graceland is not very appealing. Lots of used car lots, kind of run down. I don't remember seeing anyplace around there I would eat but others may have a suggestion.

Have a good time. We loved Memphis. It was cold and rainy when we were there so would like to go back when the weather was nicer (although not July LOL). If you want to see the Peabody Ducks, get there early. It was very cute to see them and they give you history on how the ducks got started.
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Jim Neely's Interstate BBQ hands down!
Old May 9th, 2006, 12:54 PM

We also liked the Rendezvous. You may also want to eat on Beale street - a lot of places looked good.

I also second the suggestion for the Sun Studio tour, especially for an Elvis fan.

Also, you probably won't need a whole day for Graceland, unless it's really crowded. We did the basic tour (home and grounds), and it took a few hours. If you do the upgraded tour, you also see his planes and cars.

I also noticed when we were there that there were tour buses that went to Beale, Graceland, and Sun. I can't remember the name, but it might be worth looking into.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We are planning to do Graceland on Monday morning and Civil Rights museum from 3-6 Monday (when it is free!). We are going to tool around downtown otherwise.

Have any of you heard of a restaurant downtown called Encore? I've read some good stuff about it on Chowhound. Thanks for all of the feedback!
Old May 26th, 2006, 11:07 PM

there are lots of great bbq restaurants in memphis, but you really should goto the Rendezvous....ribs are great but the atmosphere is the best Memphis has to offer...really fun....also, for lunch (or dinner) you should get a hamburger at Huey's (either w/i walking distance to your Hotel on 2nd and Union or the original on Madison in Midtown....voted best of memphis for 20 years running and you can spend your time shooting toothpicks into the ceiling along with the thousands already up there (free, live blues on Sundays also)...if you want a little known, great great down-home restaurant, see if Alcenia's is open (you could walk or take the trolley outside your hotel)...i can 100% guarantee you that BJ the owner will give you a hug when she meets you...great fried chicken, veggies....also a Saturday breakfast menu.....also downtown you could stop for a drink or eat at Automatic Slim's or Cafe 61 on 2nd across from the Peabody...fun, eclectic restaurant/bar...as far as eating around Graceland, not so much to recommend --pretty rough neighborhood strangely enough....be a better day to drive to Huey's or Interstate BBQ or BBQ Shop between hotel and Graceland....on Beale Street, Blues City Cafe is good for tamales, steaks, BBQ... for breakfast (or lunch), you could try the Blue Plate (steps from your hotel) or the Arcade in the South Main Arts District (very near Civil Rights Museum)...also for lunch, goto Gus's World Famous Chicken on Front (walking distance to Civil Rights Museum) --very spicy, very famous fried chicken and only fried chioken....i've been to Encore once -- it was fine, but didn't blow me away --Automatic Slim's or Cafe 61 directly across street more fun/interesting for a vacation.... and if you're really fired up, go get a Soul Burger at Earnestine and Hazel's after going out on Beale Street (in South Main district on Trolley Line running by your hotel if you're putting away the keys)...great late night burgers and jukebox (featuring in the movie Elizabethtown, fyi)...hope this helps... let me know if you have other specific questions and hope y'all have fun
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM

hi, mah--my dear friend lives in memphis and I love eating with her in that town! If you go out for breakfast, try Brother Juniper's in mid-town, or the Beauty Shop for weekend brunch, which has wonderful grits, great caramel or strawberry cake, and they make their mimosas with fresh-squeezed OJ.

I also really like Bhan Thai for dinner.

Definitely avoid Corky's for BBQ, since you can get the real thing where you live anyway. I always eat BBQ when I go to Memphis these days since I now live in New England and can't get it here, but in my opinion, it's a city only known outside the South for BBQ, and that within the South, its reputation for BBQ is a little shaky.

I really enjoyed Sun Studios and the MLK/motel civil rights museum.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

I lost track of this thread. SM- thanks for the detailed suggestions. We'll definitely go to Rendezvous and maybe that place called Encore that I've read about.

EJCrow- We are not going to eat at Corky's. I have to drive thru Vicksburg, MS for business, stopped at Corky's and ate it 2 wks ago. It was gross! I think we are going to be impressed with the Civil Rights Museum. I've read that it's a great museum and I'm sure it will be moving.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

EJCrow-

I LOVE thai food. Where is Bhan Thai in relation to Beale St./downtown?
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:32 PM

not ejcrow, but Bhan Thai is 5 minute drive from downtown (union to danny thomas to Peabody)....however, there is a Thai restaurant in downtown called Sawadaii owned by the same people which is really good (corner of Union/Second)...very easy walking distance to your hotel.....
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:36 PM

Interstate BBQ is near Graceland and is WONDERFUL!
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks SM and Luvtravel...we're going to have to try out the thai food. Singha and pad thai on a hot day will fit the bill!