Need restaurant rec at The Venetian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to make a reservation for a larger party (at least 15 people and a couple of kids under 3) at one of the restaurants in the Venetian Hotel but I have never eaten there. Looking for sit down, nice atmosphere, good food, moderate to expensive. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM

We liked the Pinot Brasserie but I don't know about the "kids under 3"..there were only adults when we were thre.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 05:19 PM

Try Canaletto's, asking for a table in their large plaza area under the (simulated) sky of St. Mark's Square. A dramatic, large and open setting without any of the pitfalls of actually being outside. It's Italian, in the price range you describe, less expensive than the other restaurant with terrace seating on St. Mark's Square, Postrio.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 11:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. JohnCharles, I was looking at Canaletto's but didn't know if they were too expensive. They have private rooms for small and large groups so I'm going to check into that. Is their food good?
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Make sure you let whereever you choose know that you have kids under 3 as many restaurants have a no kids or no kids under 10 policy. You don't want to make a reservation and then not have them let you in.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:22 PM

Has anyone been to Zeffirino's? Any thoughts on it?
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Haven't been but read that it's one of the best restaurants in Vegas and also one of the most expensive.
Old Feb 10th, 2004, 11:11 PM

Lenleigh, my food at Canaletto was good, but I don't think it was exceptional. I liked the restaurant more for its dramatic setting of its terrace than its food. Service was excellent. I think that from what I've experienced and heard, you pay more for location and ambience in the restaurants at the Venetian (as at the other major Vegas hotels, for that matter) and the restaurants are all pretty highly priced for the quality of the food.

I think Canaletto is one of the less expensive of the sit down resturants at the Venetian, not as high as the nearby Postrio or the other two big Italian places there(Zefferino's and--Valentino?) but higher than the Grand Lux (the glorified coffee shop)or the taqueria, but I doubt that either of the last two would have private rooms. I think I have read and heard that the Royal Star, the Chinese place at the Venetian, is quite attractive and good, and that its prices are more in line with Canaletto. It might have private rooms.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 04:51 AM

Sorry, but I disagree about Grand Lux being a glorified coffee shop. We were in town for a week and found it a great alternative to eating high priced meals every night..We had Very good food, great service and nice atmosphere. They may not have private rooms, but we were seated in a semi-private alcove in the back, that could easily be set up for 15 if you made reservations ahead of time. We did not try any of the places outside in the square as it seemed very loud&busy. Way too much going on! Here are lots of reviews to read:
http://www.ratelasvegas.com/hotelrest/ratings/r248.html
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

I have thought about Grand Lux (and it's still a possibility) but it's owned by the Cheesecake Factory and if the food is similar, it's very hit and miss. They have a million items on their menu but the key is picking the good ones, I've had a few that I wished I hadn't picked.

Thanks for the info though! Per a family request we have to eat at the Venetian since we have a family member staying there that is in a wheelchair.