Need rec's for a NYC hotel near conference in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, New York experts. I usually post over on the Europe board but I could use some of your good advice for NYC!

I have an April conference in New York; conference hotels/locations are at the Sheraton New York Towers (also at another Sheraton which is full and at a Hilton).

Conference room rate is $240/double. I know this is not bad for New York, but to keep costs down, we are looking for other, cheaper hotel options not too far from those 2 Sheratons. The last time I was in NYC (about 5 years ago) I stayed one night at the Waldorf (cheap Priceline rate) and then at a total pit, the Days Hotel (not a Days Inn). My sister in law stayed at the Edson (that's the name, isn't it? Having brain lapse...) last year and got a decent rate, but I am not sure about the location in respect to where our conference is.

I have looked at the Sheraton Towers location on the map but I could use some help figuring out other options in the area.

Thanks for any tips you can provide.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 04:17 PM
GoTravel

Annabelle, don't know if you can beat that rate of $240 by much at all but check The Salisbury Hotel.

I think the Motel 6 is close by. Or is it the Super 8?

Old Feb 14th, 2008, 03:59 AM

April can be tricky! I would try quikbook.com, www.applecorehotels.com and keep an eye on the NYC specials on Travelzoo. As you said $240 isn't horrible but why not get the nicest place you can for that rate or slightly lower? Doesn't hurt to look around!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 04:59 AM

In Manhattan $240 per night is a really good rate. I think the only way you'll get a better hotel at that price is through Priceline.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Doug, the Apple Core hotels are currently booking for $210 or $225 for most dates in April.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:01 AM

I would agree that $240 is an excellent for that hotel and for April. My recommendation would be to book that, if you can cancel, and then keep shopping.

The Edison may have a lower rate and it's about a 15 minute walk from the Sheratons. But, rooms at the Sheraton is much nicer. (Rooms at the Edison are tired and worn.)

You may also get a slightly lower rate at one of the Applecores, but they are not as conveniently located.

I would keep an eye on Hotwire, Betterbidding, Biddingfortravel, TravelZoo (offers come and go), and Easyclicktravel.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:02 AM

Yes, but the poster was asking for something superior to the Sheraton or Hilton. While I think these hotels are bargains in Manhattan, most of these hotels are NOT near the conference or superior to the conference option. Thus, I'll stand by my recommendation. These hotels are in the west 50s on 7th Ave (the Hilton is on 6th Ave), and most (but not all) of the Apple Core hotels are near Herald Square.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 06:13 AM

Doug, I guess I overlooked the word "better" in your earlier post. When I attend a conference, I certainly am willing to pay a slight premium to be in the conference hotel, myself. But a good deal on Priceline leaves plenty of funds for taking taxis.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Agree that the $240 is a great rate and you're unlikely to do better unless you want to risk bidding blind on Priceline. Even so you would have to do 4* - and I'm not sure what's coming up for April. Have you checked out betterbidding.com or biddingfortravel.com?

You could also look at travelzoo - don't know your dates so can't make a specific reco.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 09:38 AM

Go with the $240. Transportation costs must be considered, and time is money as well.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 10:20 AM

Stayed at the Sheraton New York Towers last month for a conference, and the room was clean and decent sized (for NY). I would stay there again. The only oddity was no drawer space, as in no dresser at all!

As a veteran conference goer, I agree with the other posters about staying in the conference hotel.
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the tips. I've been swamped all day and so am dedicating the afternoon (west coast time!) to checking out hotels. I was going to look at hotwire.com and I will check your other suggestions. If nothing cheaper (and not too dive-y) we will go w/ the Sheraton. Since we're coming from the West our flight is eating a chunk of our skimpy budget (educators - we're lucky to get any travel $). Thus the point in checking for the best hotel deal, w/o sacrificing convenience, of course.

I appreciate all the help. The biggest problem is that I know I will want to bag the conference. I love Manhattan!
Old Feb 14th, 2008, 02:12 PM

In addition to trying Hotwire or bidding on Priceline (if it's only for a few nights), you might be able to catch a sale on travelzoo.com but right now, everything posted there is thru March.

I agree if you can book the Sheraton and it's cancelable, you should absolutely do that. $240 will be hard to beat. If you're trying to see how close a hotel is to the Sheraton, you can use mapquest or one of the other mapping sites. The Edison is in the Times Square area and while a budget hotel, in April, I doubt it will be much less than $240.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Hello again!
Well, right after I last posted, contacted the hotel and the nights we want are booked at the $240 rate, darn! I am on a wait list, but meanwhile, a couple more questions:

1) Found a good AAA rate at the Comfort Inn midtown; what do you think about the location, considering that we need to get to the Sheraton about 6 blocks (looks like?) away?

2) Also saw a decent rate at the Salisbury. Location looks more convenient. Any thoughts?

3) I am still willing to try Priceline since I had good luck in NYC in the past. But I am confused when I look at the Priceline maps. For our needs, the Central Park South map seems to spread a little far east & west. Those blocks (E/W) are long, right?

So, would I bid in the Theater District (I think that's how it is listed) or Midtown West? Any Priceline map gurus out there?

Thanks again for the help.

Old Feb 19th, 2008, 06:43 PM

The Comfort Inn Midtown has a really good location, and I think it may be one of the new-build hotels, but I'm not certain about that. I don't know the Salisbury, but it's also in a very good location, though an older hotel. I'm not a Priceline authority, especially on NYC but if you could get a room under $200 it might be worth it.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 06:56 PM

Comfort Inn Midtown, one of the Apple Core Hotels, opened 7 or 8 years ago, it is not newly built. I chose it because it was the only hotel that advertised itself as entirely nonsmoking.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 06:58 PM

Generally, Applecore Hotels are well run and recommendable, even the older properties.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 07:09 PM

Either Midtown West or Theater District would be your closest choices for Priceline. To choose between them, you might want to see which hotels in those zones have been reported as recent wins in biddingfortravel.com.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 05:06 AM

I would have a slight preference for the Salisbury vs. the CI Midtown. It would also be closer to the Sheratons and the Hilton.

As for Priceline areas, there are now 3 PL areas that would suit your purposes, listed from least expensive to most:

>midtown west (the Hilton NY & the Sheraton Towers are included in that one)

>upper midtown/central Park south (the Parker Meridien is a frequent 4* win and the Hudson is a usual 3* win)

>Times Square is a new area designation and would also work for you. Millenium Broadway is the current frequent 4* win.

Have a look on biddingfortravel.com for who's winning what when.
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all of you for your insights. I booked the Comfort Inn last night just to make sure we are covered; we are thinking about Priceline bidding still.

Good tips about the maps/locations. I just learned about the 'bidding for travel' sites from your responses, which really helps with understanding the hotels that come up in the different areas & the recently accepted bids.

Thanks again.