need options for transporting a dog

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to transport my dog from Charlotte, NC to Albany , NY....can I get any guidance on the best way to do this other than driving? My dog is a 65 pound lab...so the cabin is not an option...should I simply drive there?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Yes. ((&))
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:34 PM

a good site for airplane policies on dogs is: http://www.bellaonline.com/ArticlesP/art3784.asp

My recommendation is to drive if possible to avoid the stress your dog may feel in cargo transport.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:34 PM

p.s. Or Mommyrich, there are services that you can pay to drive your pup, but he/she would probably do best with you by his/her side.

But the driving transport services would be my choice over the plane thing, ewwwwwwww, big bad planes no good for the pups.

(&))
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:35 PM

oops, missed a (

That's ((&))
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Drive him. USAIR just announced no more pets in cargo. The horror stories about pups dying in cargo are just too awful to bear. I would never gamble with my dog's life. Drive .
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:41 PM

I just read an article on the number of injuries and deaths to pets flying in cargo and it astounded me. I would not fly him/her. I think the article was in a recent travel and leisure. I'll try to find it and post back if I do.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 12:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would never fly my dog in cargo. It's not that far of a distance, I would definitely drive in your shoes.

Or are dogs allowed on Greyhound bus or Amtrak train service?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM

No dogs/animals allowed on Amtrak. Service animals, yes.

I once met an angry woman on a MetroNorth (commuter) train going from Poughkeepsie to NYC with a parrot in a cage. She had tried to take Amtrak from Albany to NYC, but her bird was not allowed. The friend who took her to the train station ended up driving her two hours south to Poughkeepsie where the MetroNorth ends.

Sounds like you'll be driving.
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Driving will be much less stressful for both you and the dog in the long run. I wold never risk a pet as cargo - any more than I would a child.

(Yes - breeders do routinely fly pets as cargo - but to them the animals are a commodity - not a companion - there is no personal attachment - and they have insurance to pay for the ones that die.)
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 05:22 PM

nytraveler,

What an outrageous statement !!

There is a big difference between a "breeder" and someone who runs a puppy mill !

A breeder cares more for the pups she/he brings into the world and nurtures and socializes for the first 9 to 10 weeks of their lives than you can possibly imagine.

Your ignorance is appalling and I make no apology for saying so.

Marion

Old Aug 17th, 2005, 07:20 PM
E

You really should drive. Apart from the dangers of the luggage hold, there's the inconvenience of working around the airline's policies: they won't accept your pet if the temps on the ground at either departure or destination are above a certain level; they require proof of vaccination and a health certificate; you must drop your pet off at least 3 hours before the flight, meaning the poor thing will be hungry and thirsty before s/he even gets on the plane.

Now let's talk safety and comfort: the hold is incredibly noisy and scary to an animal, temps are unpredictible, and terrible accidents happen.

Even if you were facing a cross-country drive, I'd say do it. Charlotte to Albany is a no-brainer--drive, and save your dog a world of hurt.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 06:02 PM

ttt
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:05 AM

marionck -

All those people who run puppy mills call themselves breeders. And that is how they treat/ship the animals. (And on other posts on this board some people have pointed out that because "breeders" air cargo puppies all the time it must be safe - which we all know is not so - esp for puppies.)

You are correct that a responsible breeder wouldn;t ship puppies as air cargo - but would make other arrangements. I had a friend who bought a puppy a couple of years ago and had to make an overnight trip to pick it up - because the breeder refused to sell it otherwise.

I'm sorry if you're offended - but I'm not the puppy mill person calling myself a "breeder".
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:18 AM

mommyrich, I agree you should drive. We drove from Albany/Asheville several times with our cat. It is not a difficult, boring or long trip especialy if you avoid driving on I-95. Good luck
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:32 AM

Not too long ago, there was a poster who sadly reported that his dog arrived dead at the airport. Does anyone else remember this?
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:11 AM

NYtraveler, what you DON'T know about responsible breeders would fill several books. I suggest you put down the extremist pap you've been gorging on and try a diet of reality. Go and spend time with some breeders without that oversized chip on your shoulder.
First, the fact is that many large scale puppy millers do NOT ship dogs by air...it's too expensive for them. They use trucking services instead.
Few responsible breeders, if any, ship puppies in cargo if someone can travel with the pet in the cabin.
I have yet to meet a single responsible (generally small operation) breeder who views their dogs merely as a commodity. And I've spent over three decades around breeders.
Where are the "other posts" saying breeders ship PUPPIES by air cargo ALL THE TIME? Ante up, put your money where your mouth is, and copy and paste the exact quote here.

Your prejudices and assumptions are not the same thing as facts.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:06 AM

I once drove a 3000 mile round trip because I did not want to take a chance on my dog dieing in the cargo hold of a jet plane.

Drive with the dog. We had a really great time which I still have good memories about. The best cross country trip I ever had.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:39 AM

BTilke,

Oh YAY for you and your eloquence...thank you !

The generaliztion about breeders ceratinly set off all my *buttons and triggers* !

I have come to know responsible breeders in the last 10 years. Responsible breeding is certainly not about profit. In fact, most responsible breeders lose money with a litter.

It varies from breed to breed, but most pups are screened for eye problems and then evaluated for any possible hip or elbow problems.

A responsible breeder will trace the pedigree for many generations and provide you with the appropriate breed health information.

I'll stop now ...I guess this is not a dog list !

Marion