Search

Hearst Castle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2005, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hearst Castle

Greetings. I just returned from LA. Drove up to Hearst Castle - something I'd wanted to see for many years.

After our long drive - 5 hours - Tour one seemed to be a let down. I wish we had visited the beaches first - to see the elephant seals et al. The next morning we went on Tour 2 about 10:30. Now THAT was perfect timing. The place looked so much prettier in the early morning light. And we much preferred Tour Two even though the guide was a bit of a twit. This tour takes you to Hearst's and Davies' private suites and much much more.

Now if I could just figure out how to book that indoor pool for a major party. Can you imagine that place in its heyday?

We stayed at Ragged Coast Inn. I seriously take issue with their price gouging at the gas pump-$3.50/gallon. We were mad enough to spit. But experiencing the ocean there- the rugged coast - was truly fine. As was the Eggs Benedict the next morning. (I know we shouldn't have but we needed energy for climbing all those 400 steps right?) Wayyyy toooo much ham but that sauce - simply divine.

Never did find the elephant seals but I sure did look.

This time of year it was rather warm in the afternoon.

Thing is, it's a lot of standing and walking. Morning might be better. If you want to take two tours, I might do an 8:30 and 11:30. Watch the movie inbetween tours and rest.

Overall impressions. Fabulous energy and great vision went into building this place. You couldn't GIVE me all that Gothic hooha but the scale of the place and the views are worth the trip.

Hope this helps someone planning a trip. If I could do it again, I would like to have explored the valley more - the pistacio orchards etc.
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 08:32 AM

Glad you had a good time!

FYI - to all vacationers looking to see the great elephant seals along California's central coast, they may be seen between Dec and March. They are gone the rest of the time. Here's a link:

http://www.pelicannetwork.net/fg/ele...hant_seal.html
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:04 AM
ed

Don't get too upset about the price of gas.

The truck had to take the same route that you did.
So, transportation had to be added to the horrific price.

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:12 AM

Hi bear, the seal colony at Piedras Blancas typically has some seals year round. I saw some the second week in September (the juveniles) last year which is the lowest time of year. The location that mariacallas(?) is looking for is Piedras Blancas. Here is info on this particular colony http://www.sideoff.com/eseals/seals/pb_schedule.html
Old Aug 19th, 2005, 09:41 AM

Hi mlgb,

Thanks for that bit of clarification for other readers, I over-generalized. Both links give good information about viewing them during mating season and molting season, which does include other times of the year.

We prefer to drive up between Dec-Feb to see the big bull males. During the mating season, the elephant seals are more of a spectacle then at other times. Pups can also be seen at the same time and shortly after. They are pretty easy to spot at that time of the year and you will notice many cars pulled over for the spectacle. That is generally when our local paper will advertise to best view them as well. But as you mentioned, they may be spotted at other times.