UK's Best Tourist Site: Alnwick Castle!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BBC did a poll of over 1,200 brits asking what was the UK's top tourist site to them and the top site is no doubt few Americans at least ever think of going to, though many blow by on trains to Edinburgh on the train line that passes close to it.

THE ENVELOPE PLEASE - ALNWICK CASTLE!

I've traveled the UK annually since 1969 and never heard of Alnwick Castle until i came to stay in Berwick-upon-Tweed to do day trips to the Borders Abbey.

Yet perhaps the finest day trip i overlooked was to this obviously amazing castle. I thought about going but did not consider it more than just another castle so did not.

THOSE WHO'VE BEEN THERE - WHY IS ALNWICK CASTLE the Beep's survey top site?

Worth me taking another jaunt to Berwick to find out - i also wanted to see Holy Island too so may just go
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:37 AM
carolinetaylor

I'm originally from Newcastle so i've been to Alnwick Castle many times and it is a beautful castle, the gardens too are amazing (if u go at the right time of year) It was used for the Harry Potter films.

If you are going to Holy Island i'd also recommend Bamburgh Castle, another fine castle

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

thanks - i wonder if Harry Potter has anything to do with its top rating?

Alnwick is definitely on my To Do list. thanks
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Pausanias

Been there, done that -- back in 1971. Can't remember a thing except that it's near Bamburgh castle. Oh wait! They pronounce it "Annick" if I remember correctly, and there' s a farmer nearby who'll let you camp in his fields for a few days . . . Was planning on returning to the area to visit Lindisfarne and will certainly stop by to see what I've forgotten.

Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:30 AM

The BBC didn't do a poll.

They reported on one of those hokey surveys corporations - in this case Virgin Travel Insurance - do to get publicity. And the Beeb, whose uncritical reprinting of handouts from the Bearded Buffoon is a national scandal that even its own senior management has recognised, but done nothing about, has simply churned out the press release. Even down to giving Branson even more utterly gratuitous publicity by unnecessarily quoting a piece of meaningless twaddle from a Virgin honcho.

So all we know about this alleged survey was that it wasn't done objectively: we've absolutely no idea who was scratching whose back in all this.

And Mrs Northumberland, who runs Alnwick, is a pretty dab hand at publicising herself. Almost as good as she, like her ever-scrounging husband, is at geting money from real taxpayers to fund her hobbies (see http://www.spectator.co.uk/printer-f...ion-time.thtml) Look up the "article" about Alnwick garden at Wikipedia, for example: so blatantly planted, the Wiki algorithms have clocked it automatically as an ad.

So there's more than a leetle possibility the Virgin "research" results were cooked up by the same hand that crafted the Wiki puffery.

Which said, the garden we've all given this sponger as a present is a jolly nice garden. And my sense is that Britons get a lot more excited these days about gardens than about posh houses. So Alnwick's hardly somewhere people go "what was the point of that?" when they see it.

But, on a busy six day holiday in Britain, I'd think twice before interrupting the train journey to Edinburgh to pour even more into the Northumberlands' coffers.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

an eurdite post as usual!

I was remiss not to notice "The Virgin Travel Insurance poll found"

someone gave me a copy and it said BBC News in bold and i jumped to conclusions but should have realized that such an august organization would have no hand in such chicanery.

Nevertheless your comments add to my desire to do Alnwick Castle.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:20 AM

We visited Bamburgh Castle years ago and thought it was amazing! Such a lovely location. Maybe we'll try to see Alnwick on our next trip.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:33 AM

The rest of the poll was so bad, you can't take it at all seriously
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:40 AM

It earned a place on my list with the phrase "poison garden".
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Other top five must-see sites according to the possibly gerrymandered Virgin poll:

2- Carrick-a-rede Rope Bridge County Antrim, Nor Eire

3- The Royal Crescent, Bath

4- Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, London

5- The Backs, Cambridge
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 07:43 AM

Even if the poll was a bit skewed, Alnwick Castle and its gardens are definitely worth seeing.

As PalenqueBob so rightly notes the North East of England is often passed through, or over, on the way to Scotland whereas in fact it is one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

As well as Alnwick, you have Hadrian’s Wall, industrial museums like at Beamish, fantastic beaches (although better for walking along than swimming from given the temperature of the North Sea!), wonderful castles both ruined or otherwise, and cities like Durham with it's wonderful cathedral and Newcastle which is now a lively and vibrant place. I sound like an advert for the North East Tourism Board – which I am not! My grandmother (sadly no longer alive) lived in Durham for many years and visiting her was always fun.

Amazingly, given the reputation that it has, the last three times I have been in that part of the world (once in March, once in April and once in late September) the weather has been glorious! I am not sure the height of winter would be the time to visit though.

As to the other attractions rated – well they all are in nice cities/towns and are worth a visits. But something like the Royal Crescent you can ‘see’ in half an hour max. I wonder what criteria were used?
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

The rather suspect Virgin poll also rates the five most disappointing sites in UK:

1- Stonehenge

2-Angel of the North, Gateshead
(what the heck is this?)

3-Blackpool Tower!!!

4-Land's End, Cornwall

5- Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain, London
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 02:52 AM

I would agree with most of these disappointments, but I think people are being a bit unfair about the Angel of the North. The huge sculpture - its 20 metres high and its wings (outstretched arms) are some 60 metres long and greets travellers arriving on the A1 road into Gateshead, the entrance to Tyneside.

As a piece of public art it as an imposing and impressive sight, but you wouldn’t make a special visit to see it, unless enjoying the other delights of NE England. Take a look at http://www.gateshead.gov.uk/Leisure%...ngel/Home.aspx for what I mean.

Stonehenge is interesting to visit - but it’s only worth half an hour of people's time and only worth going to if passing on the way to Bath, Salisbury or on to Devon and Cornwall.

Blackpool Tower is in Blackpool, which says enough! In my opinion the only good thing about Blackpool is the road out. Even the smarter hotels would only warrant (and I am being generous) 3 stars in any other town, and the place is over run with people on hen or stag weekends. I have only ever been able to find one decent restaurant in the entire town and as for any ‘cultural’ entertainment you can just forget it.

Lands End is a tourist trap and the facilities would not look out of place in Blackpool. Why people pay to go Lands End when there are other parts of the Cornish coastline you can access for free that are far more beautiful and far less crowded always amazes me.

The Diana memorial is/was a waste of money. It adds very little to the beauty of Hyde Park, which in itself is a pretty impressive park right in the heart of one of the world’s largest cities.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:28 AM

"Angel of the North, Gateshead
(what the heck is this?)" Shame on you PalQ ! It's one of the best and certainly the most popular piece of public art in Britain, by the renowned sculptor Antony Gormley. And Londonman, I beg to differ re "you wouldn’t make a special visit to see it". When it opened I made a special day trip to see it and take a recommended 3 mile walk around it to admire it from all angles.

You can see it from the London-Edinburgh railway line and from the M1 which it's right next to. If travelling south on the train, start looking on the left after Newcastle : if travelling north, start looking on the right after Durham. From certain viewpoints it is on the horizon and can't be missed.

I and other people I know also made a special visit to London earlier this year just to see Gormley's solo exhibition at the Hayward Gallery, which was fantastic.

Also look up his 'Another Place' installation on Crosby beach, Liverpool (another one I made a special trip to) - it was meant to be temporary but has now been kept permanently due to public demand. And if you ever get the chance to see one of his 'Field' installations (e.g. 'Field for the British Isles'), jump at it.

Re Alnwick Castle - we visited it as part of a week-long school trip to Northumberland when I was 11 and I thought it was very interesting even then. It's a great area to stay in with lots to see, including the afore-mentioned Bamburgh Castle & Lindisfarne, Dunstanborough Castle, kipper smokeries, Durham and boat trips to the Farne islands.

Agree Stonehenge is disappointing, at least at first sight, even though I visited it when you could go right up to the stones. And the Diana memorial was always going to be rubbish - they should have given the commission to Anish Kapoor.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:33 AM

I keep hearing how Lands End is a "tourist trap."
I am sure people go to Lands End because it's, well, the end...not because it is beautiful.

Why be 'rational' all the time <G>?
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 03:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you were going to see the Angel you might as well see the art trail that goes from Sunderland towards Whitehaven and drop into Newcastle at the end to make a great 24hour visit
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:31 AM

Speaking of "roadside" art, and I did see the Angel this past May: are the figures of people on the buildings in London near the river still there? As I recall there must have been 20 or more of these statues on the top of tall buildings--interesting while cruising down the Thames trying to find the next one.

Also went to Alnwick castle and gardens on the same trip--The gardens are fantastic and obviously a lot of money and planning went into the fountain/waterfall and plantings. Definitely worth a stop if gardens are of interest. The castle was interesting as well. I spent most of a day there. Bamburgh was nice too, but a different sort of castle experience.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:48 AM

Margo, the figures you refer to were part of the Gormley exhibition at the Hayward. The idea was to view them looking at you from all around, many on the horizon, from the Hayward's roof terraces. The exhibition was due to finish last week but I don't know if they've actually taken down the off-site sculptures yet.

bilbo, this art trail sounds interesting - can you point me towards more info ? Had a quick google but can only see stuff about the C2C bike trail.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 04:55 AM

the (anatomically accurate) Gormley men were still there last week.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:25 AM

Well, semi-accurate... one hopes !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -