Need nice restaurant for Wedding Reception

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I'll be having my wedding this April on Oahu Island and was wondering about possible restaurants to have the reception at. The ceremony will be in the Ko'olina area so anything between there and Waikiki would be fine. A couple of possiblities I've heard of are Michel's and Roy's. Does anyone have any experience with them? Or do you have any other suggestions? Food quality/taste is the most important factor followed by ambience/view. Thanks for you help!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:36 AM

I will probably get egged for this comment, buy I personally thought Roy's was horribly overpriced and overrrated.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:11 AM

For THE best food Allan Wongs cannot be beat. They have a room that would accomodate about 40 or so. The view is nice at night..citylights but nothing much during the day.

We ate there in OCtober and it was the best meal we ever had.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 03:41 PM

i love roy's...and restaurant that does alot of weddings & the food is good is Willows http://www.willowshawaii.com/ . Willows also has a few private rooms.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:10 PM

This is a NO BRAINER!

I am a "foodie" and I travel to Waikiki twice a year....the only place that meets your criteria is ALAN WONGS...PERIOD!!!

It is true gourmet, the flavors and ambience are wonderful, and it would be hard to go wrong. Usually we go for 2 weeks at a time, and we typically go to Alan Wong's 2 or 3 times....it is THAT good!

We continue to try and uncover other gourmet restaurants on the island, but nothing comes close to Wongs. Chef Malvo is good, but it is too much in the chi chi zone to make it a favorite.

Roy's is ok but it is most definately NOT in the same league of Alan Wongs...and the price is about the same.

Think of Alan Wong's Hawaii as you would Emiral's in New Orleans.

He has two locations and I am talking about Alan Wong Hawaii on King street, the other location is a casual place.

http://www.alanwongs.com/

Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:26 AM

How many guests will be at the meal? And will you just be ordering off the menu or have a set menu?

I find Roy's way too noisy for even a couple to converse well. Can't imagine trying to share stories & congratulations with a group.

I have gone to Alan Wongs several times, and while I know many here love it, I find their food tries too hard. They can't just serve a great piece of fish, it has to be mac nut encrusted salmon with heirloom herb sauce on a bed of arugula angelhair pasta studded with merlot-marinated pimento and the plate will have swirls of rainbow tinted balsamic foam. I'm just making that dish up, but that's how many of them seem to me!

Michels is romantic, Orchid or La Mer at Halekulani would be memorable, Kincaids would have nice food and a pretty view, and Mariposa (at Nieman Marcus) has nice food, a pretty view and is a good setting for a group. John Dominis has a killer ocean view and nice seafood but ridiculous prices. How about the private room at Indigo, or save a drive and dine at Ihilani?

Again, post your group size to really narrow this down.....
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM

I forgot that the other restaurant by Alan Wong is the Pineapple Room at Macy's in Ala Moana Center. I actually like the food there a lot. Better than 'Alan Wongs' on King, and a nice place to host a group.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 08:36 AM

My wife and I were married on Oahu too, and what we did was rent the Lurline Room at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel. It is a smaller room, seating about 20 or 25, plus you have the patio outside.
It is really, really nice, really elegant. Of course, the hotel then does the food for you and you have one or two waiters plus the event coordinator.
The room itself was not overly expensive (even at the Royal!) and the food was good. The best part was having a private room and terrace that looked out to the ocean. You also can hear the live music from the Mai Tai Bar, or you could possibly bring in a small band or set up a radio or ipod station to listen to music.
Don't know how many folks you'll have, but our guests from the mainland absolutely loved this room. Can give you more info, pix if you want. Just a suggestion anyway.
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. We greatly appreciate it.

We will have 10-12 people in our party (Sorry forgot to mention that before).

We haven't reached a final decision yet so any other recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you again!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 05:19 PM

i would go with La Mer at Halekulani. Food might be better at Alan Wong's or at the other celeb chef's restaurant but for a combination of good food and "memorable factor", I'd go with La Mer. You can probably reserve the area in La Mer that has the view of Diamond Head. dreamy . . .