Search

need Molokai info

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need Molokai info

My wife and I have been to all of the islands with the exception of Molokai. We are interested in going there but have some reservations. The weekly condo rates are very good BUT is there enough to do for a week? ( we like to snorkel, body surf and sight see ) Also, what is the best way to get there? Should we take aferry from Maui or fly from Honolulu or Maui?We like to cook dinner in the condo for the most part but do enjoy going out to dinner one or two times. Is there a market there that sells fresh fish, meat, wine, etc.?Also, what is the most attractive end of the island to stay on?

Thanks
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 02:26 PM

I've never been there so can't help with any specific info, but here are some sites that may help:

www.visitmolokai.com

www.molokai-hawaii.com Free brochure

www.molokai.com

www.gohawaii.com Free brochure

www.alternative-hawaii.com

www.molokaiferry.com

www.hawaiiweb.com
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Did you find enough to do for a week on Lanai?
Old Nov 10th, 2007, 05:20 PM
kealalani

I really don' understand the previous post regarding Lanai. The two islands simply cannot be compared or be less similar.

I was blessed witht the opportunity to visit Molokai last year. It had been a life dream to spend time at the Leper/Hansons colony and witness firsthand the history of Father Damien and the residents. I cannot recommend this trip more, if you are looking to Molokai to get closer to the hawaiin roots and community.

However, I must admit that the lack of fine grocery marketing would be a consideration in returning for a week. We stayed at a miraculous place over 25 miles out of town. Your condo choices would be closer, but trust me when I tell you it is rural. I was surprised by the lack of fresh fish and produce at the grocer.

Would I stay a week on Molokai? Perhaps. But I would shop on Oahu or Maui and bring some provisions with me. Flying is simple. The ferry and transfers can be more confusing.

Here is my trip report, if i pasted it correctly.....

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=1

the thread is titled Molokai and Lanai - a trip report, if the url doesn't work

formerly known as sistahlou
Malama Pono
kealalani

Old Nov 12th, 2007, 05:10 PM

I would personally find a week on Molokai a little bit long. It is very rural and the dining/grocery options are very slim. Three or four days would be a good amount in my opinion.
Old Nov 13th, 2007, 06:36 AM

Like you, we had been to all of the other islands multiple times, but never to Molokai. We reserved a house there and planned to stay a week. After continued research, however, we decided the island was not for us and cancelled the trip.
There appear to be no beaches with lifeguards and/or fairly safe swimming conditions. There are mudflats along the shore that keep most of the water cloudy; have not read any reports of good snorkeling.
Sightseeing, for us, would be exhausted after a couple of days.
We don't play golf.
There are few restaurants or shops, but that would have been OK. It was really the lack of good beaches and ocean swimming that was the determining factor.
I do regret not being able to line up for cheese bread and other goodies at the bakery, which sounded yummy.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 04:47 PM

We actually did enjoy some fairly good snorkeling (on a gorgeous deserted beach!) one day in Molokai...however, we also got stung by jellyfish, which cut things short.