Oahu/Maui Family Trip report Part2

Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Oahu/Maui Family Trip report Part2

Day7 : Took a leisurely walk along the path to the Whaling Shopping village followed by some retail therapy and a nice lunch.Grabbed some snorkelling gear and walked up to the front of the Westin villas where there is a small reef close to shore. Plenty of fish and great fun for the kids.Decided to grab some supplies so drove up north to Kapalua / Honolua Bay -what a pristine area to snorkel in. Hopefully the developers won't get their hands on this part of the coastline !Booked into the Kapalua Adventure Centre for a zip line on Tuesday. Looks fantastic.Dinner in after hitting the supermarket close by.
Day 8 : drove up to the Iao Valley /Needle and did the short walk up to the scenic lookout. A lovely stream with chilly water looked quite tempting.
Stopped off in Lahaina to check out the surf shops with the 15 year old.Came across a fantastic music memorabilia shop which kept us enthralled for quite some time.Booked our bike ride down from Haleakala ( I am remembering all the warnings from Fodorites not to do this but I am outvoted by the family ). Back to the villas for a pm swim and read at the beach.
Day 9 - Decided that the sunrise wasn't for us so we head to Pa'ia around 8am.Our guide drives us up to the 3055m summit with my anxiety growing with every hairpin bend.She'll be right, they're aussies........ hmm.After a very chilly look around the top we are driven back to the drop off point and off we go on our bikes !! Mum at the rear to pick up the pieces !! As it turned out it was a great way to travel, the kids and husband thoroughly enjoyed it. My hand was sore from clenching on the brakes as it is a long way down but nevertheless a good time had by all.Headed back to the villa after a big day.
Day 10 : Short drive to Kapalua Adventures for our zip line trip. After a short journey up through the pineapples in our 4wd mercedes army truck we came to the first zip line. All ready with our harnesses and safety instructions we were very excited. This turned out to be the best thing we did on our Hawaiian trip. We all enjoyed it and have nothing like this at home to compare with. Beautiful scenery, great guides, and an adventure packed morning.Hired some snorkel gear on the way back to the villas . Kids voted to walk around to Black Rock (in front of the Sheraton) for some snorkelling. What an afternoon - hundreds of fish and several turtles within a few metres of the beach. A terrific spot with everything you need within easy access. Kids choice for dinner - they chose "Cheeseburgers in Paradise ( even though we adults had shrimp). A reasonably priced place which catered for all tastes !
Day 11 - Flight back to Honolulu - did a compulsory stop at the Krispy Kreme donut shop on the way. They are so much cheaper in the US compared to Oz.Jumped a cab to Waikiki and headed to the beach for a pm surf and swim. Wow ! the crowds. Headed to the International Marketplace for a cheap eat and some souvenir purchases. Across the road we found a dress for my daughter's formal ( similar to you prom) so she was very happy.
Day 12 : Walked along the beach to see the "Duke" statue before having a ride on the Outrigger Canoe - what a hoot! We were humming Hawaii 5-0 and saying Book em Danno all morning. Late finish on the beach headed back to pack, lie by the pool and finish off any shopping we had forgotten.
Day 13 : Caught a stretch limo to the airport - my kids idea of a perfect finish to their holiday. I was pleasantly surprised to find it cost the same as the cab in from the airport !Another great holiday with lots of information and support from Fodorites prior to our departure (especially Dusty) THANKS HEAPS !!
Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:38 PM

Nice trip report.

For any future trip reports (or anything else lengthy), can you put spaces between paragraphs?

Much easier to read.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 04:20 PM

wallos, You should put this as a reply post under the days 1-6 post... so when people in the future come to read it, your entire trip report is in one place.

Thanks for taking the time to write it all up for us!
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:02 PM
Original Poster

I am obviously new to this so I will take advice for any future reports. With the aussie dollar diving I don't think we will be reurning to the US any time soon !!
Oct 23rd, 2008, 10:03 PM
Original Poster

I mean returning......