Oahu/Maui FamilyTrip report Part 1

Oct 21st, 2008, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Oahu/Maui FamilyTrip report Part 1

Day 1 : Arrived from Oz after the 10 hour overnight flight with not alot of sleep. We managed to find our car hire and exit on the "wrong side" of the road. (That took some getting use to - I can recall other fodorites saying keep yourself in the centre of the road. A good tip).We were headed to Turtle Bay and managed to get lost several times before finding ourselves on the right rd to the north shore.We stopped for lunch in Haleiwa at the great shrimp and bread vans along the road. Dropped off at the Market Place to see Hurricane Bob ( a real character) at the surfing museum who told my excited husband and daughter that the swell would be through on Wednesday.We finally arrived at our villa at Turtle Bay and after a few hicups settled in. The kids were straight in the pool. A quiet night in with takeaway.
Day2 : After a bit of a sleep in we drove down to Foodland to get some supplies for our 5 days here.Did some great snorkelling at the resort. Late afternoon we drove down to a small beach near Pipeline to watch the turtles come in to feed on the kelp whilst the sun set. Ah, we really felt like we were in Hawaii now !!
Day 3 : some more morning swimming at the resort. After lunch we headed to the Polynesian Cultural centre for the afternoon and evening. A very entertaining and informative day/night. All enjoyed the dinner and show.We pre-purchased the Ambassador Luau tickets which were well worth the extra.
Day4 :My son's 12th birthday
After opening his gift we left the day open for him to choose. The Hawaiian Water Adventure Park was the choice. We finally arrived after getting lost (again) to discover that the days of opening are subject to change and today it was closed.(We were not the only one's caught out !!) So nearest and best offer was shopping at the Waikele outlets. Upon our arrival back at the villa we discovered that there was a power outage ( only in our villa). The food in the fridge had spoiled. By the time we were able to get assistance the birthday dinner at Haleiwa Joe's had long gone so we were relocated to another villa and had dinner at the resort. Oh well what a day !!
Day5 :We decided today would be the surfing safari. So checked out Sunset, Pipeline, Waimea Bay etc but ended up surfing at Haleiwa for the morning and jumping off the rock at Waimea Bay for the afternoon.A big day of fun in the sun.Had the compulsory but highly recommended shave ice .Evening packup before heading to Maui in the morning.
Day 6 : Short but windy flight to Maui. Easy transition to pick up hire car ( I am still surprised at the high cost in Hawaii particularly if you take any of the insurance ! )Arrived at Maui Kanapaali Villas - relatively cheap , quite adequate and well located.Kids straight into the pool followed by a walk around to check out the beach etc.
Oct 21st, 2008, 09:05 PM

Nice trip report.

Did they tell you why Hawaiian Adventures Water Park was closed? Raining?
Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Apparently with the change of seasons/months they alter days of opening. We were there on the 1st October.
Oct 22nd, 2008, 08:31 PM

You're right, they are closed some days during the winter season. It appears that they are closed on Tuesdays & Wednesdays except for holidays & school vacations.

http://hawaiianwaters.com/
Oct 23rd, 2008, 02:09 PM

How did the villa at Turtle Bay work out? As I recall, you were concerned because you hadn't had very responsive contact from the vrbo owner. Is it a place you would stay again? If so, I'd like a link or the # of the vrbo listing. I love the area, but would rather stay in a condo than a hotel.
Oct 23rd, 2008, 03:48 PM

Barbara

Try this site. they have many condos at Turtle Bay. Much less than the hotel rooms at Turtle Bay Resort.

http://www.turtlebaycondos.com/
Oct 23rd, 2008, 09:58 PM
Original Poster

The villa that we stayed in was the Ocean Villas booked through Olsen Villas. You can go to their web-site or they are also listed on vrbo. They are absolute beachfront whereas the kulimia estate condos are situated behind more towards the golf course. I guess it depends on personal preference and budget.
Oct 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM

<hope nobody minds i took the liberty to cut & paste the rest of wallos' trip report below>

Day7 : Took a leisurely walk along the path to the Whaling Shopping village followed by some retail therapy and a nice lunch.Grabbed some snorkelling gear and walked up to the front of the Westin villas where there is a small reef close to shore. Plenty of fish and great fun for the kids.Decided to grab some supplies so drove up north to Kapalua / Honolua Bay -what a pristine area to snorkel in. Hopefully the developers won't get their hands on this part of the coastline !Booked into the Kapalua Adventure Centre for a zip line on Tuesday. Looks fantastic.Dinner in after hitting the supermarket close by.

Day 8 : drove up to the Iao Valley /Needle and did the short walk up to the scenic lookout. A lovely stream with chilly water looked quite tempting.
Stopped off in Lahaina to check out the surf shops with the 15 year old.Came across a fantastic music memorabilia shop which kept us enthralled for quite some time.Booked our bike ride down from Haleakala ( I am remembering all the warnings from Fodorites not to do this but I am outvoted by the family ). Back to the villas for a pm swim and read at the beach.

Day 9 - Decided that the sunrise wasn't for us so we head to Pa'ia around 8am.Our guide drives us up to the 3055m summit with my anxiety growing with every hairpin bend.She'll be right, they're aussies........ hmm.After a very chilly look around the top we are driven back to the drop off point and off we go on our bikes !! Mum at the rear to pick up the pieces !! As it turned out it was a great way to travel, the kids and husband thoroughly enjoyed it. My hand was sore from clenching on the brakes as it is a long way down but nevertheless a good time had by all.Headed back to the villa after a big day.

Day 10 : Short drive to Kapalua Adventures for our zip line trip. After a short journey up through the pineapples in our 4wd mercedes army truck we came to the first zip line. All ready with our harnesses and safety instructions we were very excited. This turned out to be the best thing we did on our Hawaiian trip. We all enjoyed it and have nothing like this at home to compare with. Beautiful scenery, great guides, and an adventure packed morning.Hired some snorkel gear on the way back to the villas . Kids voted to walk around to Black Rock (in front of the Sheraton) for some snorkelling. What an afternoon - hundreds of fish and several turtles within a few metres of the beach. A terrific spot with everything you need within easy access. Kids choice for dinner - they chose "Cheeseburgers in Paradise ( even though we adults had shrimp). A reasonably priced place which catered for all tastes !

Day 11 - Flight back to Honolulu - did a compulsory stop at the Krispy Kreme donut shop on the way. They are so much cheaper in the US compared to Oz.Jumped a cab to Waikiki and headed to the beach for a pm surf and swim. Wow ! the crowds. Headed to the International Marketplace for a cheap eat and some souvenir purchases. Across the road we found a dress for my daughter's formal ( similar to you prom) so she was very happy.

Day 12 : Walked along the beach to see the "Duke" statue before having a ride on the Outrigger Canoe - what a hoot! We were humming Hawaii 5-0 and saying Book em Danno all morning. Late finish on the beach headed back to pack, lie by the pool and finish off any shopping we had forgotten.

Day 13 : Caught a stretch limo to the airport - my kids idea of a perfect finish to their holiday. I was pleasantly surprised to find it cost the same as the cab in from the airport !Another great holiday with lots of information and support from Fodorites prior to our departure (especially Dusty) THANKS HEAPS !!