Oahu/Maui Trip Report

Old May 22nd, 2005, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oahu/Maui Trip Report

Aloha. Just returned from a trip to Oahu and Maui.
Flights on Delta. Wednesday afternoon outbound ATL to Oahu was not crowded and there was sufficient room for each in my party of three to get an empty seat next to them. Return was a nightmare. We flew from Maui at 1000 pm to LAX. There was not an empty seat on the plane and our travel agent placed us in the row which doesn't recline and with the added attraction of having lavatories beside the two aisle seats. We had to deplane at LAX while a new crew came on. For unknown reasons the maintenance folks removed all the pillows and blankets and did not replace them. The flight from LAX to ATL was also full. All in all not a happy experience.
Hotels: We were in Oahu for my godson's wedding so we were booked with the wedding party at the Hyatt Regency. The room was lovely, nicely appointed with a great view of the ocean and Diamond Head. The breakfast buffet was included in the room rate. It was unimpressive, but adequate...plenty of fresh pineapple and Kona coffee! The outdoor seating is great since it is in the shade but has terrific ocean views.
On Maui we stayed at Punamana condos. This relatively old development is not a high rise and has a marvelous layout. The condos are nicely decorated and each has a patio with barbeque. The development is anchored by a charming clubhouse. There are three pools, including one for adults only. Gorgeous grounds and plenty of room for walking about without traffic. There is ocean access but the beach is rocky. It is within a short walk to Lahaina and Puamana State Park (which has a lovely beach). If you are looking for a quiet complex with a "neighborhood" feel, this is a good choice.
Dining: We had several of our meals on Oahu at wedding activities. However, we did get to the Royal Hawaiian for lunch, excellent, and the Moana for a bridal tea. The tea was beautiful and very nicely presented. The bride got a chance to relax with her friends and family on the afternoon of her wedding. The reception was at the New Otani and was very nice. Food was excellent and the small dining room reserved for the wedding party was charming with a gorgeous ocean view. On Maui we had the tasting menu at David Paul's, which was fantastic and worth every penny! We also had a meal at Mama's and I loved it. My mahi mahi was fabulous and the service was excellent. We ate at Seawatch and the food was good and the view was wonderful. We also went to Sea House in Napilli and it was very good as well. All in all, the restaurants we tried in Maui did not disappoint us.
If anyone wants any other information about the trip, please let me know. Aloha.
Old May 22nd, 2005, 07:59 PM

Sure post some more I will be going for my first time in July.
Old May 23rd, 2005, 04:14 AM
Original Poster

What information would you like, Geraldineb?
Old May 23rd, 2005, 08:54 AM

Sounds like a great trip! Sorry about the return flights....had those once too Ah, Hawaii
Old May 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

It was a great trip, except for the flights. We tried to buy an upgrade and Delta told us, first, our fare wasn't upgradeable, second, there were no upgrades available, third (after posting a sign saying upgrades available for $250) that only Hawaiian residents could buy the upgrade. Strange business practices......