Reload this Page >

Need long weekend vacation ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 01:48 AM
BKL

I work for an airline in the Dallas/Fort Worth area and have a long weekend to travel 9/18-20. Transportation is no problem. Love great resorts/hotels. Anyone stayed at The Phoenician in Scottsdale or have a fabulous resort/inn/hotel in northern California to recommend? I'm actually open to any continental US destination that is top notch and worth my time to visit. If the hotel/inn/resort does not have activities to keep my husband occupied, then the area must have sightseeing or other options so he can have an enjoyable trip. We like excellent restaurants as well

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 05:25 AM
Meg

How about New Orleans? The weather is great this time of year. Our restaurants are hard to beat. We have some great hotels, inns, etc. - but if you are looking for a "resort" type place, this probably isn't the place for you. Keeping busy here is never a problem.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 05:57 AM
bkl

Thank you for the NO suggestion. We were just there in Feb. and had a great time. Loved every restaurant we tried and will be back for another culinary visit in the future.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 09:22 AM
kristi

OK I'm a bit biased since I live here but how about Chicago? There are many excellent hotels, lots of sightseeing opportunities, shopping, theater and great restaurants. And there isn't even a remote chance that we will be hit by hurricane Floyd this weekend! The weather forecast for Friday and Saturday is sunny in the mid 70's.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 10:03 AM
Sharon

Chicago is an excellent choice. I don't live there but love to visit. If you are looking for an upscale hotel and don't mind the price, try the Drake. It is right on Michigan Ave and overlooks the lake. The beach is right out the door and so is the shopping. Nick's is a wonderful restaurant. Be sure to visit the Art Institue and the Museum of Natural History. The Pier is also a fun place to go. There is shopping, restaurants and a gigantice ferris wheel. A boat trip on the Chicago River would also be nice.
Have a great weekend.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 10:04 AM
Sharon

Chicago is an excellent choice. I don't live there but love to visit. If you are looking for an upscale hotel and don't mind the price, try the Drake. It is right on Michigan Ave and overlooks the lake. The beach is right out the door and so is the shopping. Nick's is a wonderful restaurant. Be sure to visit the Art Institue and the Museum of Natural History. The Pier is also a fun place to go. There is shopping, restaurants and a gigantice ferris wheel. A boat trip on the Chicago River would also be nice.
Have a great weekend.

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 10:07 AM
Troy

BKL,

I'm going to assume you work for AA since DFW is one of their major hubs. But I could be wrong. If I'm right, I'd suggest going to another hub to make traveling easy. Of their hubs I'd suggest...SFO, ORD, or JFK. They're all great cities and have excellent food of multi-ethnicities (sp?).

However, I'm also very fond of Denver and/or Summit County, Colorado. Or hey, what about flying into SAN? Then you would have the best of Southern Cal. and northern Baja peninsula (Tijuana, Rosarito Beach, etc)

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 01:05 PM
bkl

Thank you for the replies. Sounds like Chicago is it. I've actually thought alot about going there over the years but always went somewhere else. Must be time. Which would be a better choice for a hotel, The Drake or the Four Season's?

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 01:10 PM
bkl

Thank you for the ideas. Sounds like Chicago is it. I've actually thought alot about going there over the years but always went somewhere else. Must be time. Which would be a better choice for a hotel, The Drake or the Four Season's?

Old Sep 16th, 1999, 01:13 PM
lisa

If you're set on northern California, then the Post Ranch Inn in Big Sur gets very high marks. I couldn't quite afford it but did stay at the adjacent Ventana in July, which was lovely too (still pricey but they gave us a discount -- only managed to stay one night though, which wasn't enough!). These are both small resort/spas on the Big Sur Coast with great views, luxurious rooms, hiking, etc. Both of them also have world-class restaurants. Check out their websites: http://www.postranchinn.com/
http://www.ventanainn.com/
http://www.leconcierge.com/ventana/
If you're not dead set on northern California (which is a great choice), then I would think about Key West FL, Charleston SC, or Miami.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 05:39 AM
Sharon

Stay at the Drake in Chicago. You will love the view and location. Have a great time.