need LA help

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need LA help

I apologize in advance for the long post.

I am travelling to LA in late December (12/29 to 1/2). We are set on going to the tourament of roses parade and seeing santa monica/beverly hills. I need help on the rest. I am travelling with a big party (myself, my wife, three young children (under 4), and nanny and her husband (extra hands). Also brother and sister in law and their one year old...

1) I would like a hotel suggestion. I have narrowed it down to Ritz Pasadena, Peninsula, or Beverly Wilshire. We would have suites in BW or P. I like these two hotels because they are closer to Santa Monica. However, traffic may be difficult in getting to Pasadena for the parade (early in the AM). Ritz only offers smaller rooms but is closer to the Parade with a shuttle. Also which of these hotels (or other locations) has a good New Years Party.

2) I also need help with the rest of the itinerary. Santa Monica, Parade, and Beverly Hills/Rodeo are definites. What about Malibu, Laguna, Hollywood or Universal Studios for our other day?

Thank you in advance for the responses.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 08:58 PM

I really cant help you as far as hotels, buut personally i wouldnt go down to laguna if i were you. its a cute little beach town, but if youre going to be in LA already its over an hours drive for something that wont be that great in my opinion. plus it will be way too cold for a beach day. If youre with kids i would say universal or hollywood. although, you could explore a little of hollywood and universal on the same day if you REALLY wanted, but it would be craming. good luck!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 07:27 PM

I live next door to Pasadena and have attended almost every parade in the past 40 years...
Ritz Carlton is nice, but its located in a residential area several miles from the parade. Some people find that disappointing. It will be very crowded with tourists and tournament officials, so keep that in mind.
Do you have seats already for the parade? You'll have to be in your seat somewhere around 7-8 a.m. so keep that in mind when you book a hotel. BW is at least an hour a way with traffic, you'll have to allow more time because the city is jammed with cars just before the parade.
I vote for somewhere nice in Pasadena - the Doubletree is down the street from the main drag - COlorado Blvd. and you could walk there. Colorado Blvd. is also fun to walk around before and after the parade.
Let me know if you have any questions..if I don't know the answer I many resources in the Pasadena area.

By the way, the Rose Parade is a great parade for old and young...Every year I tell myself I'm not going to go and I find myself heading for the parade every year. Its a great way to start your year and the flowers on the floats are incredible!

Laguna is nice, but keep in mind, its December/January. Weather could be iffy. What are your interest? If its to see "Hollywood" head to Universal Studios. Rodeo Drive is fun too...if you like to shop in expensive stores.

Let me know if I can help...
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM

Try to stay in Pasadena.. I'd try the WEstin... great location. You DON"T want to be way over at the Ritz!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:04 PM

I'd also stay in Pasadena but I like the Ritz. It is true it is in a residential area but it is not that far from the parade route - certainly lots closer than the Beverly Wilshire or Peninsula (both which I love - especially the Peninsula). The Ritz is a wonderful hotel and you can't go wrong. We live in So. CAlif. and go to the Ritz off and on for some R&R and a nice time in Pasadena. You'll love the parade. Have fun!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 10:14 PM

In your case, staying in Pasadena probably makes the most sense, only due to the parade. Just keep in mind that it will take you at least an hour at normal hours to get to Hollywood/Beverly Hills area, and at least 1.5 hrs to get to Santa Monica.

I would leave Laguna out as well as others suggested. It's in Orange County, which is at least another 45 mins past Santa Monica and it will be cold at the beach at that time of the year.

I concur with the Hollywood suggestion. You would probably also want to visit Universal City Walk. In Santa Monica, check out the pier. Malibu is also not really recommended at that time of the year since you can't go to the beach. Melrose Ave in West Hollywood between Crescent Heights and La Cienega as well as Robertson between Beverly and 3rd Street, all in West Hollywood, have a bunch of designer boutiques and some cafes you may want to explore. If you're interested in parks, you can consider Griffith Park and the Observatory and Greystone Park. Your kids might like the California Science Center in downtown too.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all of the responses. It seems like the general consensus from the experts is to stay in Pasadena and skip Laguna. Thank you very much. I do have a reservation at the Peninsula that I find is very hard to give up (my hand sweats everytime I try to pick up the phone to cancel). Thanks again