Notices

Need Hotel Suggestions for San Diego

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Hotel Suggestions for San Diego

Hi -
We are a family of four (kids 9,10) going to San Diego for a couple of days in mid-April. We plan to go to Sea World and San Diego Zoo.

I'm trying to decide on hotels. Can anyone offer any suggestions? Budget is <$350/night. Would like something conveniently located. Not sure if a beach or a city hotel would be best. Is the weather warm enough for the beach in mid-april? We will only be there 2 nights.

Thanks.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Paradise Point! Yes, should be warm enough for lots of pool time and even the beach!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 12:51 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Del Coronado for 3 nights the first week of December and loved this place! It would be very nice for a family, it is right on the beach with a very nice pool area and jacuzzi. There are 2 restaurants there that we enjoyed.

We jumped right on the freeway to SeaWorld, it is just about a 15 minute drive from the Del. Coronado was so quaint, we loved staying here. ***kim***
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:21 PM

There's really no way to tell how warm it will be in April. Our weather is pretty weird this year, a few very cold days, then a couple of very hot days. Who knows? One thing's for sure, the ocean water will still be very cold!
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I appreciate the tips.

Just to clarify, we aren't specifically looking for a beach vacation. We're happy with just a pool. I don't think we'll be at the hotel for huge amounts of time anyway, since our time i San Diego is so limited. If we stayed at the Del or at Paradise Point, are there fun/interesting things to do within walking distance? I guess we're looking for a place to stay where there are things to do in the immediate area besides the beach.

Thanks much.
Old Jan 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM
TahitiTams

HI issy..
A budget of $350 night is a nice budget to have for a hotel room in SD..
I would do a beach location but like Barbara says the weather has been really weird and who knows in April but La Jolla/Del Mar or Coronado are great places to stay for a couple of nights and easy access to Sea World and SD Zoo..
The Hotel Del in Coronado would fit your budget..
Del Mar, I would go the L'Auberge Hotel.
La Jolla would be La Valencia or The Grande Colonial Hotel or try the LJ Shores Hotel that is oceanfront..
In Pacific Beach, Paradise Point in a casita on the bayfront would be great for the kids and they have small sailboats and other fun things for the kids..you can bike along the bay/ocean and stop and have lunch along the way and take them to Belmont Park to ride the roller coaster..
Have Fun!

Old Jan 11th, 2007, 04:07 PM

What kind of things do you want in walking distance? If it's the beach, bike riding, kayaking, boating, then I would recommend Loews in Coronado. We've been twice and loved it. It's a quick ride to the Balboa Park, and a 5 minute ride to a ferry across to the downtown waterfront shopping area. If you don't want to rent a car I heard the Embassy Suites is decent. However you will be in the city. On Coronado your children would have more freedom as far as safety is concerned. Have fun. San Diego is great.
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:11 AM

we stayed at the Best Western Island Palms Hotel on Shelter Island for a week last August. It is on an island with a great view of downtown SD and is a quick drive to Sea World. Had a nice pool area. We will go back
Old Jan 15th, 2007, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. We haven't decided where to stay yet, but are looking at all of your suggestions.
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM

We usually stay at the LaJolla Hyatt with the kids (a bit younger than yours) but it is great because you can do the pool and it is just a short drive to the beaches in LaJolla or Del Mar. My kids also love Legoland and it is between there and downtown. Have fun...it will be warmer than when we go this month, that's for sure!
Old Feb 4th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I would stay at Pacific Beach at the Catamaran Hotel. Nice pool, right on the bay, one block from the ocean and boardwalk. Kids could ride bikes, surf and skate. Lots of places to walk to to eat. Five minutes from Sea World and ten from the Zoo. I think its a perfect area for families with kids.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Humphreys Half Moon Inn and Suites in Shelter Island is great and should be wel within your budget. We stayed ther Summer 2005 and had a fabulous time
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 07:22 AM
ltt

i would not stay at the hyatt, la jolla (la jolla zip code but not close at all to the centre). it is a business traveller's hotel and while it get's good reviews, it's right on a freeway and i would not choose to stay there with a family.
hotel del is a great choice if you can afford it. or loews coronado.
i also really like the pacific/mission beach area with kids. the catamaran, bahia (has family cottages), ocean park inn, pacific terrace, best western blue sea lodge...all have pools, can walk to the ocean or the bay, plenty of restaurants around. these are not as classy as the hotel del for a much more fun area for your kids.
paridise point has some great pools but it's on a bay and you i would not recommend swimming in the water there due to pollution. plus, you have to drive everywhere. no restaurants (except for the one on site) or beaches within walking distance.
have fun. san diego is a great city.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:22 PM

we stayed at the san diego Marriott by the Marina.

it was a lovely hotel, great service
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 05:23 AM
ymn

My son and I were there last April. We stayed at the Marriott Gaslamp next to the Padres stadium. We went to a game one night. Our room over looked the stadium. There is no pool at the hotel, but it was too chilly to swim anyway. It is near Sea World. Lots of restaurants and shops are nearby.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM

The Hotel Del Coronado is a fantastic hotel for families and should be within your price range. It's got a great beachfront location, lots for kids to do (families are a mainstay of their business) an enchanting old fashioned ice cream parlor, water sports, etc. The island of Coronado is very close to everything. For more details on it and other San Diego hotels, check out familytravelforum.com
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Loved the Kona Kai when it was the Shelter Pointe Hot/Marina in Apr '04 (lived in San Diego '75-'80).
M