San Diego: Hotel Del and ??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 3 nites at the Hotel Del, we are considering staying at the Renaissance Esmaralda in Indian Wells for 4 nites. We have two kids, boy 12 and girl 15.
Is this a good idea?? I want to split up our week long trip into two mini-trips, and thought the desert and beach would offer different experiences.
Any different suggestions, maybe for places that are better for teens, would be VERY appreciated.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 09:10 AM
TahitiTams

When are you coming to SD?

Old Aug 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM

depending on teh season and weather, you could go to yosemite.
Old Aug 7th, 2007, 10:37 PM

I prefer the Lodge at Torrey PInes to the Hotel Del. The Lodge is the only 5 diamond in San Diego last time I checked. The service is amazing. They shuttle you down to the Torrey Pines beach, have beach attendants to take care of you with lawn chairs and umbrellas, sometimes cabanas. Classical music is piped underwater in their swimming pool.... It is top notch service all the way around. Very close to La Jolla and Del Mar. It is right on the Torrey PInes Golf Course- site of the 2008 US Open. Just an idea...
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 03:52 AM

Esmerelda is a fine hotel. The desert is pretty laid back time. The pool is your primary destination. Four nights sounds like a lot. SD offers almost too much to do. Kicking back for a few days is probably a good idea. I would change the mix to 4 at the Del and 3 in the desert.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 06:40 AM

I agree with stumpworks, depending on when you go, and if it's hot in the desert, 3 days is plenty.
Old Aug 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM

If your coming in summer skip the desert, very hot for hormonal and potentially bored teens. It would be cheap, but as said above not much to do unless you go to the water park, outlet shopping and ride the tram up to the top of the mountain. If you want to divide up your trip, try dividing it within the San Diego area, each area is unique and a jumping off point for different activites. Hotel Del is on Coronado so maybe 2/3 nights, the Lodge at Torrey Pines or L'auberge in Del Mar for 2/3 nights, Downtown like the W hotel or perhaps a couple of days in La Jolla. We just did a Home Swap with a family from the UK and after they left San Diego they went on to Newport Beach/Laguna Beach because their teens were into the American "OC" and Laguna Beach TV shows. Good Luck.