Search

Need Hotel Help in NO 7/21-24

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Hotel Help in NO 7/21-24

Hi guys,
My hubby and I are thinking of taking a last-minute decision trip to NO for our 15th wedding anniversary. I've been holding out on where to go, because I've been trying to find something through RCI timeshare, but nothing's working. We've been wanting to go back to NO, but I'm not real excited about going from one hot, muggy place (SC) to another! Anywhoo, I've been reading posts here & going to Tripadvisor for hotel ideas. I've decided that if I do go to hot, at least I can have an above-our-normal-chain-cheaper hotel experience.

My curiousity is tweaked by the Hotel Monaco, but I don't know if it's just too far to walk to the FQ - we'll have our car, though, so that's an option. Any other similar-type hotels I'm missing for a like price-range? On the comparison-shop through Tripadvisor, Expedia has it for an average of $152/nt. I looked at Windsor Court, but it's too expensive...
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

OOPS! Dread double-post - sorry!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Hi C

Take a look at the Renaissance Pere Marquette or the Renaissance Arts (part of the Marriott chain, but upscale partners -- www.marriott.com). I have stayed in both -- they are very nice with good restaurants (I've eaten at the Pere Marquette, but not the Arts). On the Marriott website, it appears for your dates you can get rooms for about $109-119, a very good rate for the quality of these properties, though parking would cost some more. Good luck.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:22 AM

If you are really interested primarily in the French Quarter area, then why not choose from among the many unique hotels there? You would have to do some searching, but I have to believe that among all of the places in the FQ, you could certainly find one that is a bit unique, not a chain hotel, and reasonable in price at that time of year. I'd suggest you try the Dauphine Orleans, the Inn on Bourbon, the Monteleone, and the Bourbon Orleans to see if they have some good offers. Good luck.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks screenwriter, will check those out.
Wayne, I don't really want to stay IN the FQ because of nighttime noise, but close enough to possibly walk back at night (but not late). We are not big late-nighters, but do enjoy the food, & music. So staying in the middle of the FQ would not be what we want. I did check rates for The Monteleone anyway, though, since we'd heard it was pretty nice - I think they were around $300 - way out of our range.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Case, do this. Call the Windsor Court directly. They were running a summer-time special package in the Baton Rouge paper last Sunday but I cannot put my finger on it now. I'll look on Sunday and let you know. We have stayed at the Windsor Court for two very special events and it is outstanding!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 03:44 PM

My advice is to stay in the French Quarter. Unless you stay on Bourbon Street, the noise is not a factor. Although the Hotel Monaco is not that far out of the Quarter, those blocks are pretty long and very dark at night. I don't think that I would want to walk it at night. Also, when it's hot and muggy outside, it's nice to have the hotel close by, so that you can duck in and rest for a while. I was considering New Orleans for our anniversary in June, and when I was researching, I found really low rates ($89 per night) at the Omni Royal Orleans, which is in a great location. Since you are coming at such a low point in the normal tourist season, I would search all the online travel sites (expedia, orbitz, travelocity, turbotrip, quikbook) and then call the hotel directly and see if they can match or beat the online rate. I would see if I could find a good rate at the Hotel Monteleone, the Omni Royal Orleans, the Chateau Sonesta, or the Ritz. All of those are fairly upscale and in locations where noise is not a factor.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 04:22 PM

We stay at the Royal Sonesta (actually going July 13th!) which is on Bourbon and get an interior courtyard room - we've never had trouble w/noise. I got a great rate avg $165/night and it is a really wonderful hotel - nice rooftop pool as well. I love staying in FQ - it is nice to be able to walk so many places and pop in and out of the hotel if you need a little break.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 05:35 PM

I highly recommend the Hotel Provincial. In the FQ but not near the action and it has 2 or 3 pools. Request to not be put in Building 5 which can be musty. Very charming lovely courtyards, parking, etc. Have a great time.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:38 PM

I just stayed at the Place D'Armes. The location is outstanding. Rates are very reasonable. No noise. More charming, then chains. Very clean. I was afraid the hotel would not be as nice as the website... it looked exactly like you see it on the website.

Did i mention the location is OUTSTANDING!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:47 AM

I just saw a special where the Monteleone is $89/night! Hotel Monaco is $149/night. Will try to find it agai and post it here.
Do you have to stay in Fr Quarter?? Why not consider something in the Garden District-maybe a really speical B and B? Personally, I think that area has lots more charm anyway.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:50 AM

Hre's the offer for Hotel Monteleone for $89/night!! Note that the dates you need ARE included in the applicable timeframe. But you have to book by June 17th. Good luck!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 12:51 AM

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/lodging-hotels/192034

Sorry, forgot to put in the web site. DUH!!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 01:01 AM

Here's a B and B we passed (walking, and on the streetcar) that looked beautiful. tt is not expensive, is highly rated by tripadvisor readers, and would not be hard to get to and from the FQ via St Charles Streetcar.

http://www.avenueinnbb.com/

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 03:03 AM

I like the Dauphine Orleans because it's steps away from the FQ but you would never know it as far as noise goes. Check to see what their rates are.

The courtyard rooms are VERY, VERY romantic but can be pricey. The hotel rooms across the street are fine but more like a traditional room.

I love the Monaco in SF. I can't wait to stay in the one in NO.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone!