Need help with Oahu hotel feedback!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, my 4 year old daughter & I are spending a week in Oahu during Thanksgiving week. We are staying at Tapa Tower/Hilton. After reading several Fodorites' recent reviews, I am concerned about the noise during the hotel renovation. My first choices were JW Marriott & Marriott K'Olina but heard that Hilton has a better kids program. Please advise.
Old Oct 29th, 2007, 11:31 PM

Not sure about the renovations, but the Grand Waikikian timeshare is going up right next door.

I don't think it should pose a problem unless you plan on spending a lot of time in your room during the day.

This is usually a slow period in Waikiki, so you may be able to request an upgrade or at least a quiet room.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you CoconutWilly.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 07:44 AM

sabra12345: We stayed at the Kalia Tower at HHV in April and the noise level wasn't bad, but the construction was only up to the third floor of the new tower. Depending on which side of Tapa your room is located, the noise might not be too bad. Lagoon Tower is between Tapa and the construction and it might act as a noise buffer.
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Elkhound.
Any recommendations for restaurant nearby?

Many thanks!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 03:36 PM

There are lots of restaurants in and near the HHV; most of the ones in the HHV are pretty pricey. I love the Wailana Coffee Shop which is just across the street from the hotel. They are open 24/7 and have a great menu with low prices.

While you're there, if you get a chance on Friday or Saturday night - stop by the Paradise Lounge (in the Rainbow Tower, I believe) and listen to Olomana. They are a great local recording group and it is an awesome experience to sit back and listen to their music. Even with your daughter, the lounge is open air, just over the ocean and it's laid back atmosphere with couchs and stuffed chairs to sit in makes it a totally relaxing experience. Many times other entertainers and hula dancers will show up and join in - it's always fun and you'll get to hear REAL Hawaiian music at its best.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

BashfulLV,
Thanks for the advice on Paradise restaurant. That sounds wonderful!!
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 07:51 AM

sabra12345: The HHV is right next door to the military hotel (Hale Koa). Up until a year ago, you had to have a military ID card to use the restaturants at the Hale Koa. Last year the City of Honolulu declared that the Hale Koa had to serve anyone who entered from the beach. The dining rooms are great and are half the price of the HHV restaurants. Another favorite of ours is the Shorebird at the Outrigger Reef Hotel which is about a 10 minute along the beach walk from HHV.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you sure about the Hale Koa restaurants being open to the public now?

I know the Barefoot Bar is, but I thought the other restaurants were for hotel guests only.
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:15 PM

Glad to know that the Wialana Coffee Shhop is still in bsiness. WE ate our Christmas dinner there in 1975 and it was delicious. We are going to OAHU in March for 2 weeks, choose it as we've recently spent similar time on BI and Kauai, and will be sure to hit the Wialana. They probably offer a pretty tasty Thanksgiving dinner, too. Ciao. mhm
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 07:12 AM

The Wailana is wonderful -- open 24/7, wide variety of reasonably-priced menu offerings, and friendly staff.

Don't be discouraged if you find a line out-the-door when you arrive -- the place is popular with locals and visitors, but your wait shouldn't be too long.

On the rare occasions when our O`ahu visits include seeing some late-night Waikiki entertainment, Wailana is where we head for saimin, pancakes, or whatever...