Need help with car karma

Search

Need help with car karma

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with car karma

I'm leaving next week driving to the coast. My car and I are at odds right now and I could use everyones good thoughts. Just recently the car has decided to act like the petulant child it is. I could understand if my car was a teenager instead of a kindergartner the mood swings and the cries for attention. Anyone out there with advice to improve the car karma?

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM

Is this for real? I don't know about "karma", but for performance & a long "life", frequent maintenance, especially maintaining fluid levels and tire pressure. I'm beginning to think that people start new threads here just to see "their name in lights" --
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:36 AM
Original Poster

Well, shine a spotlight on me then.

I have the oil changed and the tire rotated according to the owner's manual.

I'm heading out for vacation next week and the car is acting up and thought I would ask the folks here for their good thoughts for a safe trip.

Sorry to annoy you.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:42 AM

Not sure what "acting up" is. If something is broken, repair it. If they can;t repair it - and it's fairly new as you intimate - have it declared a lemon and get another.

Honestly, I don;t understand this - mine have always run perfectly - you just buy a reliable car to beign with, maintain it and it will last forever (my sister in law is finally trading in her Accord after 180,000+ miles - still with not a single repair).
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:44 AM

ncgrrrl, I have said a prayer to the autogods for your car.

Years ago my husband and I had a Pinto (we were very poor then) and it started acting up before a road trip but we had no other options. To our delight and amazement, the second we hit the highway, everything fixed itself and stayed running well until we got home again.

I think someone is in a bad mood today, maybe him and your car should get together and duke it out!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:45 AM

ncgrrl

Perhaps you can rent something with Fahrfenugen
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Follow these rules:

Always drive with the front of the car towards the ocean and the back towards the mountains.

Never open your umbrella in the car.

Never drive under a ladder.

Never fill-up after midnight.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:01 AM

And to add to vacationdreamer's excellent list, research the best mechanic/dealer for your car at your final destination. Seriously. I drove my car to Fla. this past winter and had major work done there. It was better (and cheaper) than what I got at home. To be safem, get it thoroughly checked out before leaving.
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I hope my little Civic lasts as long as 180,000, but with a 1/3 of the mileage it already has spent time in the shop. I can't afford a car payment so I need all your good wishes.

The car will point towards the ocean on the way there. Maybe I should drive in reverse on the way home?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 10:58 AM

Our good thoughts + $1 won't even buy coffee at a McD's on the Thruway.

But if you're having THAT much problems with your car, you'd be well off to have a membership with AAA or some other "motor club". The last thing you'll need as a breakdown in "East Podunk" miles from a repair facility. McLaurie's suggestion on locating a good repair place now (not later) is sound advice.

Strange you're having so much problems with a typically reliable Civic. Our 81 model last us 14 yr (210k mi) and was still running when we gave it to Catholic Charities.