Expensive Vacations: What's the Big Deal?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:48 AM
Pam

Expensive Vacations: What's the Big Deal?

Often when people say they're planning an expensive vacation, or say they're staying at a Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton hotel, other people write scathing criticisms about the poor judgment and lack of financial sense of the trip planner.

What's up with that?

Would those people ever walk up to any Mercedes owner in a parking lot and say, "Hey bud, that car is costing you three times its value in overall lost retirement money since it was spent and couldn't be invested"

Or yell at people who live in expensive homes and tell them how foolish they are for squandering so much money on a silly building?

Why are people criticized for spending money on vacations, but not for spending on cars, homes and other items which cost much more and don't always appreciate in value (cars, jewelry)?

Is it just because this is an anonymous board where people can say things they wouldn't normally say?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:53 AM
Ali

Bravo! Point well made!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 07:57 AM
bad

I'm sure no one would question anyone living in an expensive home as we all know that real estate is an excellent investment, and in all but the most unusual circumstances, the owners will likely receive a big return.

Would I say anything to a Mercedes owner? Absolutely, I would and have. I told my sister she was nuts to waste money on one. I am right now shopping for a new car. Could I afford a luxury car? Absolutely.

The 3 contenders were a Range Rover, Audi wagon or Volvo wagon. My first preference was the Rover, but after really thinking about whether I wanted to spend an extra $ 300 every month, I decided to go with the volvo. I don't need to drive a status car to prove anything to anybody.

The Volvo is a perfectly nice car and will suit me just fine. If I did buy the Range Rover I would fully expect my friends and family to question me!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:00 AM
huh?

HELLO! Volvo is a total "status" car! Your choices of vehicles prove to be safe and will probably hold their value (if a vehicle can) better than other cars, but to not think that Volvo is a status car is midn blowing!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Mind

Sorry - I meant mind. My fingers were doing the walking

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:03 AM
xxx

A Volvo Wagon or Audi Wagon are not status cars. You can also buy a Land Rover for under $30,000.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:06 AM
huh?

But "bad" you just contradicted yourself!
You can't buy any Volvo for less than $30,000.
A truly prudent spender would have bought something like a 3 year old Honda Accord, which has a maximal ratio of cost-per-year to own over cost to buy.

What would someone from rural Mexico think about you spending more money than they make in 25 years to buy a car which will lose 50% of its value in 3 years?

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:07 AM
bad

bad, sorry but I live in the land of luxury vehicles. I'm not kidding. In any parking lot around town all you see is Mercedes, BMW, Range Rover, Porsche, Lincoln Navigators and even a fair amount of Hummers and Ferrari's. Around here a Volvo is most definitely NOT a status car. It's usually what the housekeeper or nanny is driving (no, I don't have one of them either).

I know we are not living in reality around here, but it's our reality.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:09 AM
Jerry

So isn't the real point that we all live in our own relative financial universes?

If your net worth is $100,000, spending $30,000 on a car is irresponsible.
If you're worth $100,000,000 buying a new Ferrari won't even register on your financial (net worth) radar screen!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:09 AM
bad

Yes, you can buy the new mini Land Rover Freelander for less than 30K. It's a little too small for a family car though.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Huh?

I think that "status" is defined by the crowd you hang out with. Even though a wagon is not status to you, think of the "soccer" moms and what they drive. Where I live a wagon may not be status, but a Suburban or SUV is. Cost is relevant - I know a person that is a patrol officer for a living and is purchasing a sporty two-door Mercedes for around $30,000 - she feels that not only is it one of the safer vehicles on the road, but a good deal for her money.

I believe that it is all in where your priorities are - some people prefer expensive vacations but drive less expensive vehicles, some people want luxurious cars but will sacrifice a Ritz hotel stay, etc. It is all in what you think is important.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:11 AM
Pam

Therefore, the REAL point is that what people choose to spend on a vacation can only be judged as reasonable or foolish IF YOU KNOW THE FINANCIAL STATUS of the person posting the question!

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:13 AM
XXX

Look at it this way, many of these people who say (or claim to have) "money" (incidentally, people with class do not advertise their wealth) will probably all be dirt poor eventually due to stock market disasters and/or losing their jobs in the dot.com world. A person with real wealth does not brag about affording things (nor do I think they participate on Fodor's).

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:16 AM
bad

You're right Pam. That being the case, with all these people going to the Four Seasons and the Ritz and paying $ 700/night for a room, I would imagine they must all have net worths of several million dollars. Fodors posters are a well heeled bunch!

I personally would never pay $ 700/night for a hotel room, even though I could afford it, just like the car. I like living below my means. It's very comfortable that way.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Thank

My parents raised to me to NEVER ask a person how much they make, what their car costs, what their vacation costs, etc. I believe that it is none of my business what a person makes or spends, if they feel it necessary to share I always wonder if they are bragging or showing off.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:25 AM
ann

personally,
i'd much rather drive around in an older honda and stay in nice hotels when I vacation. A car is just a car as long as it functions well & is comfortable, but a vacation is LIFE and lifelong memories... I just don't get the car/status thing, and I live in the land of status cars too. If people think we have no money, well, that's just fine by me.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:27 AM
bad

Uh, Thank, we're all anonymous here, remember? You don't actually think anyone here would divulge financial information in person do you?

I believe the cost of cars is common knowledge.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Fodorite

One thing about Fodorites is that they're very narrow minded and not able to look outside the box.

Don't believe any advertising. It's just a tool to get you to part with your money. A Mercedes is a glorified Chevy Impala with more bells and whistles, and more bells and whistles means more things to break. You cannot buy status or respect. Both must be earned. You can drive a Chevy Nova and have more status and be worthy of more respect than 100 people driving Volvos and Land Rovers. It's what you ARE that makes you, not what you HAVE.

As for trips, some are better suited for expensive hotels and some for cheap hotels. Look outside the box. 'A' does not always lead to 'B'.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:30 AM
ann

personally,
i'd much rather drive around in an older honda and stay in nice hotels when I vacation. A car is just a car as long as it functions well & is comfortable, but a vacation is LIFE and lifelong memories... I just don't get the car/status thing, and I live in the land of status cars too. If people think we have no money, well, that's just fine by me.

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 08:31 AM
Open

Fodorite - you say "they're" as if you are not part of the narrow minded bunch, but yet you go on to lecture us on advertising and getting all the bells and whistles. Don't be narrowed minded, maybe our "boxes" are filled with bells and whistles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -