Need help with a restaurant choices in Charleston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Savannah for 2 nights and Charleston for 4 nights. I am looking for a non touristy restaurant in Charleston or surrounding area that serves good southern fried chicken. and/ or good barbeque. We have a car and can drive..

We've made a reservation for The Old Pink House in Savannah for an upscale dinner, but have not reserved anything else. I've ;looked at many of the menus on Trip Advisor for Charleston and non seem to serve southern fried chicken in a casual atmosphere. Any recommendations for restaurants in Charleston or Savannah would be appreciated.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 02:57 PM

I am going to Charleston in a week and we have reservations at Fig, S.N.O.B., and Husk. All came highly recommended.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 04:41 PM

On the West Ashley side of Charleston, the Glass Onion is known for its fried chicken, which is served only on Tuesday nights from 5 to 9pm. You need to make reservations at least 24 hours ahead. And, the atmosphere is most definitely casual.

You'll love the Olde Pink House in Savannah.
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

The Glass Onion sounds exactly like what I have in mind. Unfortunately we are going to be in Charleston Friday through Monday nights.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 02:19 AM

Look at Seewee and Page's Okra Grill both in Mount Pleasant.

kathleen, did Jestine's open back up? They have great fried chicken. For really not touristy, drive up East Bay to Martha Lou's. It's small and gets crowded, so go early if you don't want to wait.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 04:40 AM

Yes Jestine's is open. I haven't tried their fried chicken, but I will do so, hopefully soon.

Shelley I'd like to recommend the Blind Tiger, a great downtown Charleston pub which we've been to for burgers and fried green tomatoes -- some of the best ever. I've noticed on the menu that they do have a BBQ sandwich, though I've never tried it. However the pub has a great casual atmosphere and a very good beer selection. You may want to try it.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 06:30 AM
DRJ

On your way between Savannah and Charleston get off 95 and visit Beaufort for lunch. Griffin Market is the best Italian restaurant in SC. Traditional food and a million dollar wine collection. You won't be disappointed.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Savannah:

Crystal Beer Parlor

http://crystalbeerparlor.com/

Soho South Cafe

http://www.sohosouthcafe.com/
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

I've decided to reserve at Magnolia's and Pouch's Porch in Charleston because I like many of the items on their menus. I've discounted some of the other more popular and higher rated restaurants because their entrees seem to be fish oriented and coming from New England, fresh fish is somthing I cook at home several times a week, and is readily available at most of the restaurants we frequent New England. The other nights in Charleston we will go more casual to the likes of some of the restaurants suggested above, where hopefully we will find "southern food" or barbeque. Many thanks for all of your suggestions.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 05:28 AM

I'll be interested to see what you think of Poogan's It was certainly ahead of it's time when it opened, but I think there are MUCH better options now. Places like FIG, SNOB, High Cotton, McCrady's and Husk change their menu items often, since they rely on what fresh locally. SInce Charleston is coastal, there will be fish dishes on most menus.

I'm not sure what "southern food" means to you. Collards? Grits? Sweet potatoes? If you could elaborate a little I can help you find what you want. Charleston is not a big barbeque town, although Husk has pork on the menu all the time. For an authentic Q experience you'll need to get out of town where people can cook with wood.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 05:44 AM

We had good southern food at Hominy Grill.

Get the pimento cheese appetizer at Magnolia's!
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

suewoo- I am not wedded to eating at Poogan's Porch and can cancel that reservation if we can come up with something better. A friend of mine ate there a few months ago and thought the food was good..not great, but I picked it because they had pecan encrusted chicken breast on the menu which sounded good to me. In thinking about what I am looking for, for one evening meal, it is the type of "unfussy- (meant in a good way)" southern food I have read they serve at Mr. Wilkes Boarding House Restaurant in Savannah. Is there anything like that in Charleston? Although we will be in Savannah for a day and a half, I do not want to waste morning or afternoon sightseeing time waiting on line to be seated. I've read that some people wait an hour to an hour and a half and I really don't want to do that.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 09:22 AM

I would go to the Crystal Beer Parlor in Savannah.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 11:21 AM

Mrs. Wilkes Boarding house is hugely popular and you will encounter long lines to get in. For that reason, I would call it touristy.

If you want good (i.e. great BBQ, then go to Wiley's Championship BBQ. It was the best BBQ I have ever tasted, bar none. Unlike Mrs. Wilkes', it is small and a little out of the way. But don't just take my word for it. Look at their Tripadvisor reviews http://tinyurl.com/259e4eb

Old Feb 13th, 2014, 12:01 PM

Bookmarking for good info.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

We are going to Crystal Beer Parlor for a late breakfast early lunch. It is a 10 minute walk from our hotel. The crab stew sounds great. I did see Wiley's Championship BBQ reviews on TA and it does sound appealing. Is it on the way to Beafort, by any chance?

Sometimes it's hard to know what to make of the TA reviews. The TA ranking of Savannah restaurants is a bit curious in that the #1 restaurant, though probably very good, does not seem as if it should be #1 in a city such as Savannah. Obviously, not being from Savannah I could be wrong. Again, many thanks for everyone's suggestions. I know your recommendations will make our trip much better than it would be if we either wing it or chose restaurants solely based on TA reviews.
Old Feb 13th, 2014, 06:52 PM

The single best thing I remember eating was at Magnolia: pan seared scallop appetizer. We sopped up every last bit of sauce from the pan.

We didn't have the fried chicken at Jestine's, but saw it served and it looked yummy
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 03:44 AM

I love these types of threads especially when I have plans to go to these towns soon. Continue! ;-)
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 04:00 AM

Mrs. Wilkes is family style, I don't think there are any places like that in Charleston. Jestine's and Hominy would be the closest. Take a look at Page's Okra Grill in Mt. Pleasant. It's popular with locals. Ashleigh grew up down the street from me and has done a great job with that place.
http://www.pagesokragrill.com/

She posts special on her FB page. The desserts are all homemade and delicious.

Magnolia's is always a great choice.
Old Feb 14th, 2014, 08:46 AM

Wiley's BBQ is on the way to Tybee Island - opposite direction. That said, it would probably only add 40 minutes or so to your day if you went there (20 mins there and back, give or take).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -