Need help selecting a Charleston hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to Charleston for the first time for three days next month. I currently have two hotels booked-Indigo Inn and Francis Marion. I don't plan on having a car (perhaps just one day). Also, at this point, I'm not sure exactly we will do while there (but I don't think we'll do the beach). I've never researched Charleston for things to do-this trip is a surprise for my wife since she's always wanted to go. Both hotels appear to be in locations that are easy to walk to sights/restaurants/shopping. Does anyone have any advice that can help me decide between the two? Thanks!
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 06:37 PM

I was at the planters inn and have heard great things about the French quarter inn from friends who've stayed there. I dont know those two but id stay near east bay or meeting street for best central walking around.

Check out my recent trip report, although I'd def recommend a car so you can get to the Ashley river historic district, I loved drayton hall and the gardens at magnolia are exquisite.

Btw for carriage rides, you don't get to choose where you go, it's a crapshoot which of the five routes you get. But the battery and rainbow row area is not to be missed. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 07:10 PM

I haven't stayed at either of these, but I have stayed at the sister property of the Indigo Inn several times and love its quaint charm. In my opinion, the Indigo Inn has a better location for walking, because it's a little more in the middle of things, just two blocks or so above the Market. I think it would be a more convenient location if you plan on returning to the room more than once during the day. The Francis Marion does not seem that far away, but in July, every block gets longer and hotter!
Old Jun 10th, 2013, 07:14 PM

We are staying at Indigo Inn in September. Don't know if you qualify, but they have senior rates, you just have to call them about it; doesn't show on website. Not a big saving, but every little bit helps.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 02:34 AM

Betsy is right. In the heat you'll want to start early and pop back into your room for breaks. Indigo is better located for that. Take your carriage ride first thing to orient yourselves.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:26 AM

Is it true for ALL carriage rides(who,ever is the driver) that you don't get a choice of where you go?
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:39 AM

I haven't stayed at the Indigo Inn but have at the Francis Marion. The lobby is simply gorgeous and the rooms were furnished with nice period style pieces. It was lovely with lots of charm. It definitely is historic and that has great appeal. But the room itself was too small and the bathroom was very tiny. Staying a day or two would be okay IMO, but for longer stays,a bigger room would be better. It is located just across the street from Marion Square where on Saturdays there is a farmers market, which is very nice and the Visitors Center is only a couple of blocks away.

Be sure to take advantage of the free trolleys which run throughout the historic district (and slightly beyond). They move you around without you having to do all the work, especially on hot summer days.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:40 AM

I agree - choose the Indigo for the better location.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 04:43 AM

Yes DebitNM the carriage ride routes are on a lottery, so the drivers go where their route is designated. All are good.
You'll enjoy them immensely.
Old Jun 11th, 2013, 10:19 AM

Kathleen is right. That lottery started when all the carriages went to all the same places at the same time. The good citizens could't go anywhere, so the lottery was instituted. They really are all good, a great way to acclimate and learn about what you are seeing.