Need help re family's first Oregon trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband, myself and our two daughters (ages 3 and 7) are planning our first visit to Oregon the first week of April. We live in Los Angeles and plan on driving from LA leaving on April 1 and we need to return to LA on April 9. I've been reading all of the postings on this cite re Oregon travel to try to build our itinerary, but I'm still having trouble. I don't know if I'm trying to cover too much territory in too short of time, particularly with two young kids. My husband wants to break up the drive on the way there by staying over somewhere, perhaps in northern California, our first night. I was hoping we could make it to somewhere like Ashland, Grant's Pass or Gold's Beach (perhaps staying the first night at the Weasku Inn or TuTuTin Lodge which many of you seem to highly recommend, but he thinks the 9-12 hour drive is too long the first day.) Any thoughts? After our first night, I thought we could make the drive to Bend. I've made a reservation at the Sunriver Resort for a couple of nights. I got a great rate on-line for a Lodge Village Suite ($139). I could get the River Lodge Presidential Suite for $275. Anyone have any input re this decision? From Bend, I figured we'd head to Portland (can't decide between Riverplace Hotel and Kennedy School). My husband likes luxury accomodations, I like trying someplace different. Thought of either staying a few nights in Portland with day tripping to Columbia River Gorge area, or, staying overnight at Columbia Gorge Hotel. Was hoping to then visit the Astoria/Seaside/Cannon Beach areas, but having difficulty with time alotment and where to stay. Don't really want to move around each night with the kids. Although Seaside sounds really fun (sort of like our Venice and Santa Monica area) and I want to take the kids to the boardwalk, etc., it appears that my husband and I may prefer Cannon Beach and should stay overnight there. I know each of the three are only a few miles apart and we could easily see each of them, but I so prefer to get a little better feel for a town, sacrificing the ability to see more for the opportunity to stay longer in one area. Considering lodging at Surfsand Resort ($239 for a 1 bdrm oceanfront suite or $289 for 2bdrm) or Hotel Elliot in Astoria). Stephanie Inn doesn't allow children so that's not an option, and I wasn't that taken by Ocean Lodge from their website. Even if we were able to cover this territory and drive back along the coast catching what sound like absolutely unrivaled coastline, and glimpses of Newport, Bandon, and other highly recommended coastal towns. Based on the average temperatures that time of year, maybe the coast isn't the place to spend so much time, and perhaps we should stay longer in central or southern oregon? Please help! I'm kinda lost, can you tell? Much thanks for your time and input.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 09:58 AM

This is a very ambitious trip with two small children. I'd go back to the drawing board. You need to think about what you want out of this vacation. If you're determined to go to Oregon, you may want to figure out if you can steal more time.

The distances are vast. LA is 965 miles from Portland. At 60 mph, with no stops for gas or food, you're talking 16 hours. Bend is maybe a couple of hours closer, as you have to get off of the interstate hwy to get there. I'd say that, with minimal stops, you'll be on the road for 18 hours between LA and Bend, and that may be optimistic.

In other words, definitely stay the night somewhere in northern California. You will have two full days of driving each way.

Yes, the weather on the Oregon coast will probably be cloudy, misty, sprinkling and cold, with occasional sunbreaks. Dramatic coastline, yes, but your kids will not be impressed.

I figure you have 5 days in Oregon to actually vacation. If you stay in Sun River 2 days, and drive to the coast (another 6 hours to Cannon Beach, or thereabouts), that leaves you 2 1/2 days for the coast before you head back. If you spend two days at Canon Beach, you can drive down the coast for a 1/2 a day, getting south to Bandon (another very long day of driving), and then spend your next 2 days driving to LA....

I get tired just thinking about this.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:14 AM

Ok. I'm back on this.
Day 1. LA to Mt. Shasta area
Day 2. Mt. Shasta area to Sun River
Day 3. Sunriver
Day 4. Sunriver
Day 5. Portland (Go through the Gorge on your way)
Day 6. Cannon Beach (1 1/2 hrs from Portland)
Day 7. Drive the coast to Newport (3 hours with stops)
Day 8. Straight east to I-5. Mt. Shasta
Day 9 LA.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:26 AM

I agree with Orcas...scale the trip back a bit.

We go to Sunriver several times each year and thoroughly enjoy it. I will say though, that April is not the most exciting time there. The pools are still closed, and those are usually huge draws for the kids. We either stay in homes there or in the River Lodge. The RL rooms are very nice and we have never been disappointed. We were there just a week or so ago, and there was not much snow at all.

As far as hotels in Portland...well, let's just say that it tends to bring out some very strong opinions on these boards. If you do a search you will see. Anyway, I do like the Kennedy school, but with small children you may want a place more in the center of downtown in case the kids get tired or you need to go back to the room for something. You know your children best though, so that may not be an issue. The Kennedy School IS a lot of fun though, and very different than what you will find elsewhere. The Riverplace, IMO, is too far to be central enough for that as well. There are many nice hotels in the downtown area. I live hee, so have not stayed in them in a while.

Over on the coast, our preference is for Cannon Beach. We always stay at the Surfsand and have a great time there. They have a lot of stuff for the kids, and are just very family friendly. They provide free Tillamook ice cream out on the deck on either Saturday or Sunday (can't remember which day) afternoons, and they have a bunch of toys for the kids to play in the sand with. They will also put up small barriers if the wind is blowing, so the kids can play in a more protected area. Haystack Rock is very close by, and the rooms we always get have a nice view of it. Our kids love checking out all the tidepools around it.

I hope some of this helps you narrow down what you really want to see.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 10:36 AM

I agree with Orcas..you're trying to cram in way too much. You could do 2 of the 3 destinations, but not all, and I certainly wouldn't try to drive such long hauls with the kids.

I'd suggest you either make this a cruising trip-stopping often to sightsee or play and spending the nights in reasonably spaced towns- or drive the marathon, but choose the coast & Portland OR Bend & Portland.

Old Feb 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I too don't want to be a poop, but as a frequent commuter between LA and the Pacific NW I think it's time for a wee reality check here.

First, not only is it at least 12 hours (speed limit on I-5) drive time from LA to Medford/Ashland, in April it can be considerably slower, owing to fog in the central valley, rain (or even snow) in the Siskyous, dug up roads, etc. It is definitely not yet the tourist season in those parts, and in fact it will likely be quite cold at nights and during the days.

On the coast route, the minimum drive time from LA to Gold Beach etc. is around 5-6 hours longer than on I-5. Cold weather won't be a factor as much as inland, but wet weather certainly will be, which usually adds to the fatigue factor for most people.

Now, how would I suggest you work around this? Here goes:

Day 1 - LA to somewhere north of SF on Hwy 101. I usually make for Willits or thereabouts, depending on traffic leaving LA and/or around the Bay area. I have not found a very convenient "cut-over" point from I-5 to 101 that avoids SF traffic without adding its own delays and fatigue - SR20 is about the best, and I hate that road - seems endless.

Day 2 - Willits/Ukiah to Crescent City or Brookings/Gold Beach. This takes you through the Redwoods - important for your kids to see. Highlight of the trip IMO.

Days 3-6 - Coast or cut inland on US199 to go to Grants Pass or over the mountains to Bend. (Note - early April can still be snowy over the mountain passes.) If you stay on the coast, I would recommend limiting yourselves to Newport and south, rather than going all the way up to Seaside/Cannon Beach. There's plenty to see on the south/central coast with lots less driving burden on you and the kids.

Days 7-9 - return by the coast or valley; my vote would again be for the coast because it's easier to find a nice place to overnight. If you still want coast, and can handle the time (extra day, really), take Calif. Hwy 1 from Ft Bragg down to the GG bridge - gorgeous in the spring, easily equal IMO to some of the better parts of the Oregon coast.

In fact, I'd seriously consider if I were you to limit myself just as far north as the Redwoods, and get your coast time in California rather than Oregon. Lots, lots less driving and stress, with very little lost in the scenery department. Save Oregon for when you have more time and warmer weather.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 12:31 PM

Okay, I'm going to pile on too and agree with previous posters. First, I'm wondering why you chose April. Unless you're a skier, there's much less to do at all points along your itinerary compared to when it's warm, and you have a reasonable expectation of sunshine. Second, I agree that you're trying to cram too much into nine days, especially for your kids, even though they may be the sweetest, best behaved on the planet. Choose either central Oregon or the coast, but not both. Personally, I'd opt for the coast.

But whichever, you might want to make Portland your first real stop, though you'll still need the overnight enroute; the drive is 16 hours or more. I'm suggesting this because you'll at least be fresh, just beginning your adventure. Spend 2-3 nights in Portland, then the next 4-5 on a hopefully much more relaxing drive home. If you chose the coast, maybe spend a night in Cannon Beach, another in Newport, Tu Tu Tun for a night, see the Redwoods, and high-tail it home.
Old Feb 7th, 2005, 01:05 PM

I've been thinking about this trip, and here are my thoughts. We have two children also, both teens. We are still shaping our vacations around what interests the kids. We would never have attempted a road trip like the one you are contemplating when our kids were little. It would have been way too stressful. I know all kids are different, just telling you we mostly visited relatives or stayed in one place for our vacations when they were so young.

Have you driven the California coast with your kids? It's so beautiful and the weather will be better. The Oregon Coast is like the Big Sur, only with lots of trees and rain forest.

Oregon will still be here, and will be just as beautiful when you have more time or can fly up and rent a car, and when you can come in August or September (and almost as rainy! It's a year round thing, hence the rain forests.)
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 11:19 AM

Wow, Weasku Inn, TuTuTon Lodge, Riverplace, Columbia River Gorge Hotel, Hotel Elliott!! You have made some excellent lodging choices.

In Ashland, check out the Plaza Inns & Suites, very family-friendly. We have done 14 hr. trips many, many times with 3 kids under 5 and always had a great time! You are young with lots of stamina, so I don't see any problem with 9-12 hrs. in the car at one shot!

I would go for a stay in Seaside or Cannon Beach with the little ones, the Hotel Elliott may be a bit boring for them, tho it is a gorgeous property. Try to stay on the beach with the kids. The Shilo Oceanfront was always very nice when our kids were young. You are directly on the beach there and walking distance to the Carousel Mall, shops, restaurants, etc.

If your hubby loves luxurious lodging (who doesn't!) try to stay at the Riverplace Hotel, Columbia Gorge Hotel and when you visit Astoria (take the kids for a ride on the trolley there, also they will love Fort Clatsop and the Maritime Museum, and a climb up the Astor Column) take a peek in the Hotel Elliott, have lunch as Schooner's 12th Street Bistro.

***kim***
Old Feb 8th, 2005, 09:16 PM
jgg

I'm guessing you are planning on coming to Oregon in April because it is spring break for your kids (your 7 yr. old is in school). I can appreciate the need to schedule around this as we have been doing it for years.

I would also recommend doing Portland and then either the coast or central Oregon not both. Personally, we prefer Central Oregon/Bend area, but this is a personal choice. Do you prefer beaches/coast, or mountains and trees?

Regarding the Kennedy School, fun to visit and have dinner but I would definitely not stay there. Especially if your husband likes luxury. We stayed there for one night with our two kids(my husband thought it would be fun and different.) It is unique - our room had a chalkboard in it, but all the furniture in the rooms (atleast ours) was used - i.e. bought at a vintage or second hand store - I was not impressed and definitely NOT luxurious. We moved the next day to the Fifth Avenue Suites!! The whole family was very happy.
Old Feb 26th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I agree with what everyone has said about the drive from L.A. to Oregon is a LONG one without stopping inbetween (we moved to Grants Pass from L.A. and drove it many time non-stop). Now I would like to strongly second the opinion about seeing the Redwoods in Northern Calif/Southern Oregon they are outstanding! I live in Southern Oregon and I still enjoy driving through them. I also agree about the coast, the Oregon coast can not compare to the Northern California coast drive. If I had a limit on time I would skip the Oregon Coast! Just another note, if you decide to wait another year when the three year old is a bit older you should include the Oregon Caves! Also, are you looking for big city things? Just a warning, Bend has gotten to be a VERY big city! Also, if you are looking for skiing? call ahead as we are close to drought up here so bring some of that rain with you!!
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 08:55 AM

I am also planning a trip to this area mARCH 21-26 for Spring Break (5&7) and thought this area would be something different and fun. Is the weather really going to be that cold along the coast? What about whale watching-is it too early in the season? Other suggestions along the California/Oregon coast that would be warmer?
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 10:53 AM

No way to predict the weather, but this has been an amazing year in the Pacific Northwest with lots of sunshine and clear skies. I've heard the coast has been incredibly beautiful week for the past two months. So, if ever there was a time to go to the Oregon coast, it is this season. It is rarely really warm on the Oregon coast. Just bring your sweats and maybe a jacket. There is plenty to do, just not laying out in the sun. There are tidepools filled with sea anenomes and starfish, great lighthouses, beautiful scenery, sand dunes, drift wood, birds, and more. Definitely, bring your binoculars for whale watching. The end of March is the perfect time for whale watching, as it turns out. Check out this website:

http://www.whalespoken.org/#WatchWeeks
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:41 PM

I grew up around Portland and we always headed to Seaside or Cannon Beach. But, I now must admit that I prefer Newport/Taft. We stay at a great condo called "Dock of the Bay" and it is on the Bay - not the ocean. The water is much calmer. We do walk down to the ocean. We love to eat at Mo's, which is right down the road. It's an easy drive to an incredible aquarium and we always stop by the lighthouse and tide pools.
Old Mar 6th, 2005, 09:43 PM

Why did I say Newport? It's on Siletz Bay in Lincoln City. Here's a link: www.dockofthebay-or.com