6 Days in Oregon, how does this sound?

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6 Days in Oregon, how does this sound?

Wife and I mid 50's from East Coast flying in and out of Portland, Or. 1st time visit.
Day 1 Columbia River Gorge and Mt. Hood loop.
Day 2 Trip to Astoria via Rt.30 and return via Rt.101 to Seaside, then Rt.26 back to Portland.
Day 3 Spend entire day(Saturday), in Portland. Sat. Market, maybe a trolley ride, walk the Pearl District, check out NW 23rd.and SE Hawthorne & 35th areas, Japaneese Gardens, Powells Book Store.
Day 4 Drive to Crater Lake, taking in some of the scenic byways marked by the maps I received from State Welcome Center. Silver Falls Tour Route (little loop off of I-5) Then I-5 to Rt.20 To Rt 126 (McKenzie Pass-Satiam Pass Scenic Byway to Sisters and Bend, then Rt. 97 and Rt. 138 to Crater Lake Overnight at Mazama Villge Motor Inn.
Day 5 Finish touring the Lake, and leave for the shoreline, via Rt.62, Rt. 227, I-5, and Rt.42 (including partial scenic byways) - Rogue-Umpqua Scenic Byway and Myrtle Creek / Canyonville Tour Route, to Brandon, Charleston, and Coos Bay. Overnight at Coos Bay.
Day 6 Drive from Coos Bay up the coast to Lincoln City to Rt.18 and Rt. 99 through the wine country back to Portland.
Overnight in Portland, and fly home in the morning.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 07:41 PM

I can see that you want to hit the highlights of our state, but I think it might be a bit too ambitious. You can do it, but it will mean that the days will be chuck full and long.

The Gorge/Mt. Hood loop is a perfect day trip.

On the trip over to the coast, do not forget Cannon Beach. It is much nicer than either Astoria or Seaside.

Portland is worthy of more than just one day, but you can hit the highlights in a day if you pare it down just a bit. Personally, I would skip the Hawthorne District and add Pittock Mansion. Great views from up there too.

I truly love Silver Falls and have been there numerous times, but you are also doing the gorge, so I would skip Silver Falls on this trip. Plus, it is not right off the freeway and is worthy of most of a day.

The drive from Portland south then over to Bend is about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Both routes (via Salem or Eugene) are very pretty, but I prefer the Salem route (Santiam Pass). You can also visit the little town of Sisters on the way.

Your last day is just too much. Driving up the coast is pretty slow going, as is crossing over into the valley. By the time you hit the wine country most places would be closed.

Where on the East Coast are you coming from and when? All those details help us give better suggestions.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 08:45 PM

I agree with mms; this is quite an ambitious itinerary. Consider the following.

Day 2: Spend your time in Astoria and Cannon Beach. Seaside is more like an east coast beach town (Jersey shore?). Don't miss Ecola State Park, accessible from Cannon Beach.
Day 4: Portland to Crater Lake straight down I-5 is close to five hours. The route you've planned is quite a bit longer, especially with stops along the way.
Day 5: From I-5, take 138 and 38, which puts you on the coast at Reedsport. The drive along the lower Umpqua River is simply beautiful. Maybe spend the night around Florence, or futher north in Yachats, because your Day 6 drive is a long one.

Happy planning! It's apparently you've already done a lot of research.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 10:51 PM

I just returned from my first and only trip to Oregon and I had to post. On day 2, I hope you don't leave the coast area without making time for Cannon Beach. It is a lovely, quaint town with gorgeous beaches, Haystack Rock and more. As mentioned, Ecola State Park was spectacular.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:51 AM

Coincidentally, we are plannng a similar trip July 21-29.
Our plans are not as ambitious. Early in our planning, we realized that we couldn't possibly cover all that we wanted to see in an 8- or 9-day trip. Making Portland our base for the first five days, we planned on a couple days in Portland, two or three days (day trips) to Columbia River Gorge/Mount Hood, Mount Saint Helens and/or some of the other byways south of the Gorge.
The final two or three days will be along the coast, going as far south as Yachats or perhaps a little further down, staying in different towns each night.
As much as we'd like to see Crater Lake NP, we felt the 10-hour roundtrip was too much for this trip.
In plannng our trip, we've found the literature from various tourist bureaus to be quite helpful.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:11 AM

Howard--I was just at Mt. St. Helens again last week. Every time I go there I am truly amazed! Please post when you return and let us know how your trip went.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments,(especially mms and beachbum). We are from Connecticut, and we leave for the Oregon trip on July 20. You info is very valuable, and it will give us just enough of time to tweek or plans, so we can take advantage of your experiences and knowledge.
Thanks again, for all of your comments. LJS
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:44 AM

We went to Oregon last summer and really enjoyed our route (Portland, to Astoria, down the coast to Newport, through the Willamette Valley (good for wine tasting and more), to Mount Hood, and back to Portland via the Gorge route). We thought this was a great itinerary without too much driving (we had 10 days). We also really liked Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park. The Newport aquarium was great too. As far as food, highlights included Josephson's (for smoked seafood) in Astoria, the Portland farmer's market, and Wildwood in Portland. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:05 AM

Having read others' comments, Larry, I guess the message I most wanted to convey is that, though you can probably do the itinerary you've planned, you're not giving yourself enough time to enjoy the sights along the way, particularly on days 4, 5, & 6. You can do a lot of sightseeing from the car, but you won't experience much.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:19 PM

As others have said, you have planned too much for six days.

It takes more time than you might think to get to Crater Lake and driving on the Oregon Coast is slow going.

My questions start with Day 2: Why do you bypass Cannon Beach and Ecola State Park, and why are you in a rush to get back to Portland when you could be enjoying the beach?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Larry--We were stationed in SE CT for two years and loved it. Hope you enjoy our state as much as we enjoyed yours.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:09 PM

As an Oregon citizen who has lived both inland and on the coast i will say you have too much planned as well. I would try to drop off some of the driving to really get out and explore. I really like The Farmers Market as well and consider one of the best things to do in Portland.
I really like the interiors of Oregon but with such a short trip I would really be tempted to drop the Sisters and Crater Lake portion of your trip and concentrate on the coast and Portland.
To me the coast is the real highlight of our state and is best experienced at a slow pace.

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 05:22 PM

I believe you will have a more enjoyable trip if you follow Panhandle's advice.

To Panhandle's list of highlights, I would add the Columbia River Gorge. In addition to the waterfalls, I especially like to a drive east from Hood River and cross the river at Biggs. On the other side is the Maryhill Museum and the Maryhill Winery. On a clear day, the drive back to the Portland area on Washington 14 offers unspoiled views of the river and Mt. Hood.

You can cross back to the Oregon side at Stevenson, or you can continue on to Vancouver, where you might want to take a look at Fort Vancouver.

Also, take the so-called "Fruit Loop," outside of Hood River, for great views of Mt. Hood and Mt. Adams.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 06:26 PM

Here is another voice that says you have too much going on. Do the Gorge and Portland stuff. I too would skip Crater Lake, while it is beautiful and interesting it is too far of a drive. Go down Hwy 99W or 99E is beautiful too but the wineries are mostly on 99W (99E gives great views of the valley through the farmland) to Eugene then over to Florence and back up the coast.

Skipping Silver Falls is ok too especially since you are doing the Gorge and will see lots of falls there. Be sure to take the scenic route through the Gorge (not 84).

This is a no brainer but something I have noticed about distances and maps - a small state like yours and a large state like mine take up the same amount of paper on a map but the scale is different. It takes much much longer to drive across our state than the little states back east. (I always forget when I get back there and am surprised when I get to the town I was headed to so quickly - duh!)

You have done great research, you'll have a great time. Enjoy!!

Sara