Roadtrip to Portland, OR. Good idea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2016, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm just planning ahead. We want to visit Portland, OR one day but not sure how to get there, whether by plane or by car. We have two small kids (6 and 3) by the time we are ready to travel so we're just nervous that taking a roadtrip long hours with two small kids will be a nightmare as they get really antsy. But I love the idea of roadtrips.

Would you suggest doing a roadtrip from Los Angeles to Portland, then fly back home? or the other way around where we fly to Portland spend time there then rent a car one way back and do a roadtrip that way? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 08:59 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The direction of travel makes little difference . . . what makes a HUGE difference is how long you have for the drive. With children those ages you can't really drive hours and hours a day. So you would want at least 10 days for the one way drive - and two weeks would be better.

You could visit places like the Oregon Coast, the Redwoods, San Francisco, Santa Cruz, Monterey and its amazing aquarium . . . and on down the coast.

But ONLY if you have enough time.
Old Nov 7th, 2016, 11:35 PM

It would make the most sense to fly to Portland and drive to LA if you wanted to see the coast (pull outs/scenic views would be on the right side). But as Janisj said- it depends if you have the time. I don't know if I would bother with kids that age. The coast is a fantastic road trip but I think they may be a little young to appreciate it. Assuming home is LA- I'd save California coast for another time, and then just do Portland and Oregon coast for this trip.
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>It would make the most sense to fly to Portland and drive to LA if you wanted to see the coast (pull outs/scenic views would be on the right side)
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 05:14 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Not trying to question the OP's motives, but I'll ask the question that popped into my mind right away. Why Portland?

Sure, maybe there are family members to visit, could be any number of reasons. But if the motivation is scenery-based, then I'd suggest that with kids that age there are plenty of experiences right in California that might appeal, and which wouldn't require as much road time.

The Oregon coast is spectacular, but so is the California coast, pretty much all the way from San Luis Obispo to Crescent City. The northern coast redwoods are wonderful, but it's not that different an experience than the Henry Cowell or Big Basin redwoods north of Monterey Bay, or, different trees but equally amazing, the various groves of giant sequoias in the Sierra foothills up and down the east edge of the central valley. The waterfalls in Yosemite are every bit as wonderful as those in the Columbia Gorge.

Mind you, I love road tripping throughout the west, and I think taking the kids is a fabulous idea. My folks took me on trips, even long ones like California to Oregon, at those ages and I still remember (snippets) of them.

But an all-California itinerary can be scaled so you can see plenty in a relatively few number of days, none involving hours and hours of drives. I'd give that some consideration.
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Your kids are way too young... Save this long ride for 8 to ten years from now... Instead, just fly to Portland and drive up to Seattle...
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 07:36 AM

Or fly to seattle and drive to Portland. I love Portland it is a really great city. I'd go in the spring when all the trees and flowers are in bloom. It is beautiful.

There is so much to do with kids. Check out OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science), Washington Park has a nice zoo, Japanese gardens. Sauvie Island is fun for young kids. They have lots of farms that allow you to pick berries off the vines, the kids can pet farm animals (or see them up close).

For adults there are lots of great cafes with great coffee. Lots of great restaurants, art galleries, great parks. So much fun.
Old Nov 8th, 2016, 09:35 PM
Original Poster

thank you all for your input! Definitely all is helpful.
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 04:38 AM

A few years ago, we did a trip from Portland to San Francisco. We had our 11,9 and 7 year olds with us. We stayed in Portland for 4 nights and took a day trip to Mt. St. Helens in Washington, stopping at a bunch of scenic over looks along the way. There were nature trails and some playgrounds. In Portland we took the kids to the science museum and outdoor markets. We left Portland and took a drive along the Columbia River Gorge--tons of waterfalls and other beautiful sites. The Women's Forum was particularly breathtaking. We stopped and watched kite boarders in the Columbia River. Near Mt. Hood, we stayed at a ski village and took the kids to a mountain that had an adventure center with go karts, euro tramps, small rides, toboggan runs and rock climbing. We also went to Trillium Lake, hiked and visited the Timberline Lodge. We stayed in that area for 3 nights.

We then went to the coast and stopped in the town with the Aquarium and then stayed near the Florence Sand Dunes-- amazing. The kids sand boarded and we went on a crazy ride through the dunes. We stayed there 2-3 nights.

Next we completely deviated and went to Crater Lake-- but it was a must do for me and well worth it! We stayed overnight about an hour or two away, spent the day at Crater Lake and came back down on the other side. We stopped in Medford (I think) in a lodge and did a jet boat ride along the river. Incredible experience. We stayed there two nights.

We then drove south and east through the giant redwoods and south into Northern California. I don't remember the name of the town we stayed in but I remember it was clearly still stuck happily in the 1960s. I think we stayed a night or two. We then went on to San Francisco where we stayed for several nights before flying out.

All total, the trip took 14 days. Because we had the children, we always stopped where there was a pool and never drove more then 4 hours. We also tried to stay at least two nights in each location to have at least one full day without checking in and checking out. Unless we skipped Crater Lake, I would not have done it any shorter time with the children in tow. It would have turned a fun adventure into a one long trip filled with complaints and whines.

Overall, it was a completely amazing and utterly breathtaking trip. My oldest remembers a lot, my middle some things and my youngest remembers losing her tooth on the way up to Mt. St. Helens!

If you go, now or later, we did something called letter boxing with our kids that allowed them to have something to look forward to doing at many stops and got us out of the car and exploring. Its awesome for kids because it is all clue based.

Based on our experience, you should do the trip-- although I cannot comment about the road to LA! But, I would wait a few years and make sure you have plenty of time to stop and enjoy all that Oregon has to offer.
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 02:04 AM

Following for future
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 09:49 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
An alternative for jlee is the daily Coast Starlight train which travels between Los Angeles and Portland (and Seattle).
The train leaves Los Angeles Union Station in the morning and is in Sacramento at midnight and arrives in Portland in the late afternoon.
An alternate route involves a 3 hour bus ride to Bakersfield starting about 3PM and then riding the San Joaquin train to Sacramento and transferring to the Coast Starlight at midnight.
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 05:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
It depends on the kids' personalities and how well they travel. Years ago (in the 70's) we drove from SF to Portland in 2 days, then back again with a 2 year old ... no problem ... he travelled well ... we took along toys and little things to keep him busy and entertained. The biggest problem was he was still being toilet trained and we carted along, and emptied,a plastic training toilet.

The 6 yr old may be more of a problem, again depending on his personality ... kids that age get rambunctious ... stop a lot for play and again, have toys and games for them.

In the '50s my parents took my sister and I along on many road trips when we were that age and I can remember enjoying them, although we did tend to fuss and fight a bit in the backseat when we got tired or bored ... but I can remember liking the trips and still have a few memories of them from when I was six.
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 05:37 PM

It depends on the kids' personalities and how well they travel. Years ago (in the 70's) we drove from SF to Portland in 2 days, then back again with a 2 year old ... no problem ... he travelled well ... we took along toys and little things to keep him busy and entertained. The biggest problem was he was still being toilet trained and we carted along, and emptied,a plastic training toilet.

The 6 yr old may be more of a problem, again depending on his personality ... kids that age get rambunctious ... stop a lot for play and again, have toys and games for them.

In the '50s my parents took my sister and I along on many road trips when we were that age and I can remember enjoying them, although we did tend to fuss and fight a bit in the backseat when we got tired or bored ... but I can remember liking the trips and still have a few memories of them from when I was six.
Old Nov 10th, 2016, 05:39 PM

oops, don't know how the double post happened ... sorry