Need Help Planning A Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am from Pittsburgh and am trying to plan a surprise trip for my husband's birthday next year (in December). Here is what I would like to include:

- Sonoma/Napa winery tours (St.Francis must be included)
- A couple days near or at Pebble Beach (my husband is dying to golf there!)
- A day or so in San Francisco. For some reason I've always been fascinated by Alcatraz!
We would probably be looking at maybe a 5-day trip, if possible, and we definitely do not have an endless budget. I am trying to get an idea of a rough estimate of what I can expect to spend in addition to airfare, although I know that all anyone can do is give a rough guess as a lot depends on where we stay along the way. Also, would the best idea be to fly into one airport and out of another (renting a car for the duration), since I believe Pebble Beach isn't very close to Sonoma/Napa? Any tips, suggestions and help of any kind is GREATLY appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Pebble beach is in Carmel. The best thing to do would,in my opinion,be to fly to S.Francisco,stay two days and visit Alcatraz the rent a car and drive to Monterrey/Carmel,do the 17 mile drive(you'll see Pebble beach golf course there).Drive the big sur stay a day in S.Barbara and then drive to L.A. for rental return(without cost)and the flight back home. Greetings from Belgium.Paul
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Reposting with "Northern California" in your title will get you many more replies.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:39 AM

We did the 17 mile drive; stopped at Pebble Beach and took pic of hubby on 18th green; bought some souvenoirs in gift shop! BTW, keep your eye out for deer as you make the 17 mile drive.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5-days will be tight to cover all 3 places. If you land in the late afternoon, you could spend one night in San Francisco and see Alcatraz that night or the next morning, then go up to Sonoma for 2 nights. We just stayed at one of the 4 sisters inns in Sonoma (name escaping me right now) and it was under $200/night. St. Francis is within 5 or 6 miles of the town. But then that only leaves 1 night to drive down to Carmel, stay overnight and head back up to SF for your plane.

I think you have to choose which of the destinations to combine with SF if you only have 5 days (and I'm assuming that it is a 5 day, 4 night trip.)
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 11:40 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Five days is too short to do all of that -- unless you just want to say "been there, done that". And especially if the 5 days includes the travel day to/from CA.

Napa to Carmel is NOT a quick drive - and especially if it is stormy in Dec.

So if your 5 days includes travel time - then pick either SF and Monterey/Carmel - OR - SF Napa/Sonoma. (and even if you have 5 full days in CA not counting flying to/from - I'd still choose only two locations)
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:24 PM

I'd suggest 3 nights in San Francisco, and use one of the days to do the wine tour.

Then head to Pebble, where, if your husband wants to play, you'll need another two nights.

Cost of lodging runs the gamut, but greens fees at Pebble are fixed; plan on $425.

Old Sep 7th, 2006, 12:34 PM

Holy moley!!!!!! No wonder I don't play golf. I don't golf and just had no idea!!!!!!! My word. And to Tierney09, if you have any way to squeak a couple more travel days it would really be helpful to you to be able to do the things you would like to do. Like seven days? That way you actually would have 5 days on the ground. Even then, it's pushing it, but I also realize that one does what one can, time and budget allowing.
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 02:43 PM

LOL! Yes, crefloors, that's the reason for just the picture on the 18th green!
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:44 PM

A good place to stay is Asilomar in Pacific Grove. It's a conference center operated by the state park system and when it's not full, you can find an inexpensive room. Paths run to the beach and dunes. And the beginning of the 17 mile drive is only a short drive away.
Old Sep 16th, 2006, 04:52 PM

Ha crefloors, what we gals would do when the fellows played at Pebble Beach was shop, shop, shop! They didn't dare complain about the CC bill, lol!
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You need more than 5 days to do what you describe, imo.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 10:16 AM

You have to stay at a Pebble Beach property to reserve a tee time at Pebble, umless your husband wants to not finish 18 holes by starting after lunch. If you stay at the Lodge, the green fees are less but as I'm sure you know, expensive.

Someone said that Pebble Beach is in Carmel...untrue.

I suggest you fly to San Francisco, stay there for a three nights, taking a day trip to the wine country. Then, drive down here, to Pebble Beach, spend two nights and then back up to SFO to fly home.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM
trippinkpj

I would pick San Fracisco and either the wine country or Pebble Beach/ Monterey area. And rain in possible in December as Janis mentioned, so keep that in mind. And you could also fly into SJC which is closer to Monterey area, yet still only an hour or less (in non rush hour times) to San Fran.

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:10 AM
trippinkpj

Also, the Del Monte course is less expensive I think and easier to get onto. My husband played there when we stayed at the Hyatt Monterey in 99.
http://www.pebblebeach.com/page.asp?id=711

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Trippin - all good advice but if you're a golfer, PB is a destination, Del Monte isn't. If you can't golf PB, then Spanish Bay or Spy Glass would be your second choices.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 01:10 PM

Without flaming anyone, I think there may be some misinformation posted here about playing Pebble Beach. Check their website and call.

http://pebblebeach.com/page.asp?id=1194

Bayonet and Black Horse are two great courses at the north end of Monterey (old Fort Ord courses). I like them much better than Del Monte.
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 01:52 AM

winery tours are great ... one great way to do it is go through an 'adventure travel' company. They have different personalized trips that can mix golfing, winery tours which can include biking and cooking and staying at the most beautiful places and alcatraz is an easy one you can do as an add on yourself. I would stay away from LA ... too far a drive and just as a rule ... I would stay away from LA
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 02:00 AM

http://www.buysanfranciscotours.com/...burg_tour.html

try this website and you can bypass biking ... you can by ALL your tickets and talk with someone online to set things up as well when they get in.