planning a trip to san francisco

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
planning a trip to san francisco

i am planning a trip for a friends 50th birthday and i need help.. we are going to leave birmingham on the 1st of november and return on the 5th of november, i know that won't give us much time but i need help on what is the best place to start and what to see and where to stay...
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:04 AM

What is your budget for accommodation?
What sort of accommodation do you like? (Touristy, Boutique, Big Full Service, Luxury)
Do you like active sightseeing (i.e you get out and do it) or organised trips?
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:35 AM
E

Several people answered this same question for you in your other thread, so you might want to revisit it.

Assuming you're flying into SFO, you could spend Nov 1-3(3 nights)in SF when you arrive; then drive to Monterey on the morning of Nov 4 and spend 1.5 days (1 night)in Monterey, driving directly back to SFO to catch your flight home on the 5th. Or you could reverse this order. Timing will obviously depend on your flights...

I'm leaving out wine country because you really don't have time for it, and I think the coastline is more worth seeing, but you could substitute Napa/Sonoma for Monterey if you're a wine fan.

As for what to see, there are so many threads about that on SF, and really, you can't go wrong with the usual suspects: Alcatraz, Chinatown, Fisherman's Wharf, the Golden Gate Bridge, North Beach, maybe shopping around Union Square. In the Monterey area: Point Lobos, Carmel (for shopping and the beach), a drive or walk along the coast as much as time permits.

I can't help you with accomodation ideas, but if you reply with your budget, I'm sure others will be able to. Good luck!
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 09:45 AM

Type in "san francisco" in "search this forum" window.

2 closest airports with easy access are SFO and OAK (Oakland, CA)
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 11:00 AM

Here's a place to start. It's a great trip report by the board's most beloved, degas. Happy reading!!!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=34518598