Reload this Page >

Need help for Juneau

Search

Need help for Juneau

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:04 AM
Tracey

Need help for Juneau

We'll be in Juneau for 2 1/2 days the end of this month and need some ideas of what to do. We'll be joining a cruise, so we don't need to go on a whale watching excursion. We like to hike and are very athletic. Can anybody give us some ideas of things to do? Also, some good restaurant tips would be appreciated.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Mitch

I would recommend Coastal Helicopters www.coastalhelicopters.com for a Helicopter/Glacier walk. An unbelievable experience. I took a flight with them earlier this summer, our pilot was great, very informative, and was able to answer any questions we had.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 04:55 PM
gail

HI...IF YOU HAVE ACCESS TO A CAR WE WOULD SUGGEST DRIVING NORTH OF JUNEAU TO AUKE BAY. THERE IS A BEAUTIFUL PLACE CALLED THE SHRINE OF ST. THERESE. IT'S SOMETHING SMALL AND NOT VERY TIME CONSUMING BUT VERY PEACEFUL AND SERENE.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:40 PM
cece

There is a free walking tour brochure which you should be able to pick up at the tourism office (or maybe get off the web.) Make sure you see Mendenhall Glacier.

Have a fantastic time. Alaska is a beautiful place!

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Tracey

Thanks for all the help! I'll be sure to check out the Glacier and helicopter tour! We won't have a car, so I don't know about the shrine.

I still need resturant suggestions.
Thanks!

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 06:47 AM
Alan Cleveland

There are many hiking trails in Juneau and most offer something different in the way of scenery. There are trails on both sides of the Mendenhall Glacier, up Mt. Juneau, and Mt. Roberts. Several trails, such as those on Juneau, Roberts, and the Treadwell Ditch can get you up close and personal with the mining history of the community.

If you make it out to the Shrine, and you should, you might as well continue on to the end of the road. Great drive, with a few nice beaches along the way.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 10:27 AM
sueoz

We did the helicopter trip/glacier trek (2 hours on the glacier). Was the highlight of our trip! If you are in decent physical condition (we are 50, but active), like a little adventure and trying new things - this is it. They outfit you with crampons, harness, ice axe, etc and you literally hike the glacier. This is not just a walk across the ice, but up and down. Lots of fun and incredible scenery. Pricey, but we felt it was worth every cent.

Old Aug 10th, 2002, 12:08 PM
April

You don't have to go far. Take the Mt. Roberts tramway (about $20 ea.) right in Juneau. At the top are nice views and walking trails. I'm not sure how far they go, but it might be good for half a day. Don't prebook the tram though - wait to see what the weather is like.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Sue

Twisted Fish--great restaurant recommended by locals. Their tempura halibut was melt-in-your mouth and they have a pretty varied menu from dinnerish to lunchish and snackish. Do make a reservation: we ate lunch there and went back for dinner (yes, we liked it) and had to wait an hour and a half. We also loved the brownie and cream served in a huge champagne goblet for dessert--the four of us pitched in a cleaned it out in no time. It's on Franklin near the Visitors' Bureau and attached to the Taku cannery store building.

http://juneaualaska.com/dining/twistedfish.shtml

There are other restaurants on the site, as well.

I loved the glacier helicopter ride, too, but the ride/trek sounds ideal for athletic souls (which I'm not--fell down twice on the glacier without moving much)! An experience you can't duplicate. Have fun! I'm jealous...

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Sue

Tracey, I forgot to ask: where will you be staying in Juneau? I would like to return next summer (without car), but can't seem to find much info on hotels. I'd appreciate feedback when you return, too, if you get a chance.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Tracey

Thanks, for all the advise. I'm staying at the Barronoff Hotel. We get one free night there with the cruise. I post a trip report when I return.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:07 PM
John

One 'R' in Baranof...

Try the Fiddlehead or its sister place Di Sopra on Willoughby down by the waterfront. Fish pie, mmm. Also one of Alaska's best bakeries.

PS the bar at the Baranof is where much of the cuckoo legislation adopted by the Alaska Legislature has been hatched in years gone by. Ought to be a monument or something.