Need help!! Fall Foliage

Search

Need help!! Fall Foliage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help!! Fall Foliage

I'm wanting to plan a trip for my husband & myself to the Vermont, New Hampshire area to see the fall colors. We have never been to that area before - don't know what's the prettiest area. Any suggestions? Could use help finding housing. Any help would be appreciated....this is the first time I've ever posted a message - so I'm just learning...
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:51 AM

I think that Stowe Vermont is such a pretty area and the town is charming. There are tons of hotels and B&Bs to choose from.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Should I just stay in one place or stay a couple of places. Can you comfortably drive to see other areas of color?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:05 AM
bm

You should really make lodging reservations ASAP, especially weekends. I'm biased, but I think Vermont is the prettiest. The Stowe area is a great place to base yourself. Check out www.gostowe.com
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info...I would like to ask more questions, but I have to take my son to get his wisdom teeth out...so hopefully - I can get more good info later.
Thanks for the help - I'll definately check out Stowe.
Should I try for late Sept, early Oct to have the best chance at seeing the best colors?
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I love Vermont myself! The drive between Brattleboro and Bennington is pretty (but it's not up in the mountains like further north, maybe you'd prefer that?).

The trick about fall colors is figuring out the "peak" of the season. Which is different every year depending on weather conditions (some years are more vibrant than others, and height of color can vary by as much as a few weeks).
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:35 AM

Both Vt and NH offer beautiful scenery, but have a different feel. Vt is more agricultural, and has a relaxed, laid back feel - lots of pretty villages, not commercialized. NH has the more rugged mountains and crystal clear lakes. The soil is flintier, so there is less agriculture, but more moose. Nearly all of Vermont, and 80% of NH are very scenic. Some popular towns in Vt are Woodstock, Stowe, Waitsfield, Chester, Grafton. For NH there are Jackson, Sunapee, Wolfeboro, Peterborough, Sugar Hill. Of course there are dozens of other nice towns in both states. I believe there are websites for each state that give foliage dates. In general, the folaige starts at the Canadian border around the 3rd week of Sept, and winds up in the Southern end of the states in mid October. Look at the Yankee Magazine website for lots of info.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I wouldn't take much driving to see both states. Not suggesting these for your trip necessarily, but I lived in both Keene New Hampshire and Brattleboro Vermont which are in the southern parts of each state and only 20 mins. from each other.

One thing that makes Vermont even more picturesque than it already naturally is, is there are no billboards allowed on the roadsides.
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 12:19 PM

Bouncingbetty, I recommend choosing two places to stay if you are coming for a week. That would give you 3 days in one area and then move someplace that's at least 2 or three hours away. Staying in northern VT, I agree the Stowe area would be nice and then choose something in NH close enough to take a drive thru the White Mountains on a weekday. Or, simply make the drive thru the mountains when you head further south. If you are flying, Manchester NH is usually best, not only for convenience but also competitive fares. If you arrive in time for a few hours of daylight driving you would have a marvelous drive up Rt 93 and then Rt 89 to VT. The whole idea is to drive around because there will be beautiful color everywhere. I would aim for the first week in October when color might be still decent in Stowe and then good later in the week further south. A good cold night can make colors turn faster. I've heard people claim color really came out on a specific day after some low temperatures. But I think color is great for a long period of time and it's still beautiful when some trees are bare while the leaves still linger on others. I live on a maple shaded dirt road with lots of beech and oak around my house. There is so much here, don't worry about missing anything. Some of the magic is discovering a new place. Even for us who live here, each Fall is another dramatic happening. Pick up a detailed map and try to avoid the interstates during the busiest times like Friday nights and late Sunday afternoons.