Search

Need DC Apartment Experts!!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:03 AM
peg
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need DC Apartment Experts!!

I am going to be relocating to Washington D.C. within the next two weeks, and I could use some advice on apartments. I am looking for something under $1000 near a metro in DC, and that would except pets (I have a bird and dog (the dog might not be going)). Is there such a place? I found online Mass. Courts and Burke Park, any thoughts on these? Thank you for any advice that you can give me on where to live, I do not want to get in the wrong neighborhoods.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:15 AM

I don't know anything about pet acceptance, but there are numerous apartments along Connecticut Avenue that are right by the Metro. You might be able to get a studio for that price.

One large management company is Charles E. Smith, which runs several properties. You can check out their website at www.smithapartments.com/comm.asp. (No, I don't work for them!) If you click on Washington D.C.-Metro area, you'll get list of their properties. If you then click on a property, you'll get a map showing how close it is to the nearest Metro, as well as a price range for apartments. Most of the studios start a little over $1000, but they may offer some incentives.

Best tip is to stay in the NW area. (Although I don't believe the Metro services Georgetown.) Good luck with your search.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:26 AM

$1000 on the Metro means you are going to have a very small apartment, probably an efficieny. The bird and pooch are going to make it even more complicated.

The two places you mention are both in transitional neighborhoods. If you are comfortable with urban living and can deal with a little "grittiness" they are probably both fine.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:45 AM
peg
Original Poster

Thank you, I was guessing studio, that is why the pooch may be left behind.

Judy, I will check out that web site also.

MikeT, I don't suppose you could define "grittiness" could you? I am coming from a town of about 2500 and I don't know a sole in DC.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Burke Ct. is near 12th and Mass. It's an "up and coming" neighborhood that was once known more for prostitues and drugs then anything else. It's "hot" now, though with a lot of construction and stuff going on. "Gritty" means that if you wander a couple of blocks away, the neighborhood gets a little more dangerous.

The Mass Courts is in an even "hotter" neighborhood, but there isn't much around it. It's between Union Station and Chinatown and there probably isn't alot of retail or restaurants around. Another area once known for drugs and prostitutes.

If you are looking for idyllic neighborhoods with people strolling on the sidewalk, lots of trees and scenery, little restaurants and coffee shops, these aren't the neighborhoods. If, on the other hand, you feel more daring, like big cities, have a good sense of humor, and exhude a sense of confidence and security when walking around, you will be fine.

I'd live in these neighborhoods, but I love the city and am 6'2, 240.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:27 PM

1600 Sixteenth apartments were featured in the Post six weeks ago or so. Small efficiences. About $ 850-1100 a month. Two blocks from Dupont Circle. Very safe neighborhood. With the explosion of the neighboring Logan Circle neighborhood, it will become safer due to all the lights and new businesses. Several bars. Good eating. Funky Adams-Morgan is just to the north. The phone number for Sixteen Hundred Sixteenth is 202 667-6600. It might be for you.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:50 PM

Check out craigs list...
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/

Many rentals and sub-leases are listed here rather than in newspapers.

Be prepared to react quickly. Lower price apartments in good neighborhoods go VERY fast. Some older apartments in smaller buildings are leased directly by the owners . My son listed an apt for a sub lease in Dupont Circle and got 25 replies within a few hours.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 11:44 AM
peg
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Mike T, I am only 5'6, 145 lbs. so I am thinking of looking at other options. You have been most helpful, I have read your other posts about Washington DC and they are very informative.

Shane, thank you for the reference, I will be checking into those apartments.

Dick, I will also be going to that website. Don't worry, I need to find a place within two weeks, so I will react quickly!

It is very difficult to find out if a place is nice or not from the internet. The only other tool I have is the apartment showcase book I picked up along the street a week ago.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 03:36 PM

FWIW, I think any listings in the Apartment Showcase book for $1000 or less will not be in a nice area. Agree w/ Craiglist and 1600 16th st. options however.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:23 PM

Craigslist also has listings for roommates. Perhaps this would be a great way for someone like yourself to go, someone who knows no one in DC.
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:30 PM

Pentagon City and Crystal City in Arlington are both very close to the metro, still very close to DC, quite safe, but may be a bit out of your price range. Try the River House in Pengaton City, when we lived there about 8 years ago, we found that their rooms were nicer than those of "Charles Smith" company and less expensive. That may have changed of course. In general the Smith apartments will be very nice, but a bit on the pricey side. Good luck!
Old Aug 31st, 2004, 04:53 PM

Have you been looking at this site
http://www.apartments.com/search/oas...=59&cont.y=13?

Often you'll see small apts. under $1000 advertised in nice areas that may be near Metro that will be basement rentals of a house -- found in many neighborhoods such as American University Park or Tenleytown or Chevy Chase, or, though not near Metro -- but on an easy bus line -- in Glover Park or Burleith. Good luck!
Old Sep 1st, 2004, 05:57 AM
peg
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I am waiting for someone to get back to me from 1600 Sixteenth Apartments. I am checking apartments.com, and craigslist.com.

A roomate wouldn't be bad, but the listings I am checking say no pets, and I want to bring my macaw with me. MikeT the pooch is going to stay with my parents. More room for her anyway.
Old Oct 4th, 2004, 11:46 AM

Local secret: City Paper, check it on Tuesdays when new listings go up.

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/c..._for_rent.html

Other helpful sites:
http://www.washblade.com/
http://www.johncformant.com
http://www.rentnet.com
http://www.washingtonpost.com/
http://www.yarmouthm.com/

Places to look in the district: DuPont, Woodley Park, Cleveland Park, Glover Park (no metro), Georgetown (no metro), Kalorama, Adams Morgan, 14th St. area, Capitol Hill. If you go to VA, prices will be better.

Speaking of price: Expect to pay $800-1200 for a studio in the district; $1000-1500 for a one bedroom.

Also, if you live downtown, beware that parking sucks.

good luck!