Notices

Moving to DC area

Old Sep 20th, 2008, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to DC area

Hi! I'm thinking of moving to the DC area from Norfolk, VA. Does anyone have some good advice for me? I will need to get a new job and find an affordable place to live.

Thank you!
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:05 AM

1. Find the job first.

2. Plan your apartment hunting around the available bus and/or Metro routes. The Metro web site has a handy link called "Find service near location", under Maps and Stations.

3. If you can arrange short-term housing before signing a lease, your co-workers might be able to advise you about neighborhoods that are accessible and affordable. Like most cities, the farther you're willing to travel, the more you can get for your money.
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:08 AM

4. I know a lovely little place in Adams Morgan that will be available in March.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 12:29 PM

Out of curiosity, what does a little place in Adams Morgan run? I have been half-heartedly looking at a job on 17th St NW and, if I am correct, that is right there near Adams Morgan, right?
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:56 PM

17th is a long street, but it does run along the eastern edge of Adams Morgan. The DC bus and Metro service gets denser of course as it gets closer to the center of the city. My daughter catches a bus in front of the building that takes her to the front of the building she works in at 19th and K streets. Can't get more convenient than that, especially since many employers in DC subsidize their employees' Metro passes.

This 1BR condo is at the corner of 18th and Calvert, with an L-shaped livingroom/dining room and all the mod cons like dishwasher and in-unit laundry, is $1800 plus electricity (which averages $50-100 per month). On a residential block, equidistant to the Zoo or to the shopping and excitement of the Adams Morgan area. (I have no vested interest in this rental; my daughter is moving out at the end of the lease.)

Time is money. If you're willing to live farther out, you can spend less and/or get more space.
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 03:17 PM

Well, I am fairly content here on Maui, but a position recently came up that caused two different headhunters to contact me. It fits my skill set perfectly. But it would take a lot to get me to give up my sunset view a block from the beach. DH won't even discuss it with me.

My daughter moved to the DC area earlier this year and I'm afraid that if I take a job there she'll think I did it because of her! lol