Old May 9th, 2003, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Advise on Hotels in Santa Barbara

WE will be in Santa Barbara for a wedding
in August. My husband and I have deceided
to make this our summer vacation.
We will be flying into Santa Barbara the
Wednesday before the wedding and staying there till Sunday, then just getting into the
rental car and driving.........maybe up the
coast or inland, see the sights and some wineries. Our return flight home will be
the following Friday. My first question is where would be a good place to stay in Santa
Barbara from Wednesday to Sunday? We
would like a place on the beach, although
I know they can be pricey....would like to
hear any and all price ranges, we don't mind
spending the $$$ if they are worth it.
Also any suggestions on where to drive after
our stay in SAnta Barbara? How far a drive is Yosemtie? We are
from the East Coast and are looking forward
to seeing California.
Old May 9th, 2003, 03:43 PM

Four Seasons is a very pleasant place to stay, although if you are familiar with the chain, Four Seasons elsewhere are better. You won't go wrong here but it's pricey. Check out the website for further details. We stayed there 4 years ago and it was fine for a one or two nights. It might be worth heading north to San Simeon and Hearst Castle and further north to Big Sur.
Old May 9th, 2003, 06:57 PM

I've stayed at the FS Santa Barbara and agree with Craig that it's certainly OK, but not at all up to the standards of the chain as a whole...at least as far as accommodations go. Our dinner there was good, not elegant but decent. It's a casual, mission style place.
Bacara is the new kid on the block. On the beach. Very large (~300 rooms) and somewhat impersonal. I've seen the rooms, which are nicer than FS for my taste, but service is very spotty (bad at times). The place is seeking convention business to support it. I can't see how it will survive bankruptcy personally.
San Ysidro Ranch is the very expensive celebrity hideout up in Montecito if you're so inclined (can't even see the water from most areas in SYR). Individual cabin rooms are very nicely done, country style, not contempo luxe. Outstanding food. Very expensive. JFK and Jackie honeymooned here. It's a very exclusive, romantic, but unstuffy place.
Old May 10th, 2003, 04:17 AM
jd

We stayed at the Harbor View a couple of years ago. It is right across the street from the ocean.The rooms were really nice-the room we had was large, and had a cathedral ceiling.There was a nice sized balcony, and a nice pool. At the time I think we paid about $200 for a AAA rate.
Old May 10th, 2003, 05:13 AM

We stayed at the Cliff House Inn just outside Santa Barbara and loved it because is is directly ON the ocean! Has a great little pool, and it is reasonably priced and has a good restaurant on site. Here is the website:

http://www.cliffhouseinn.com/

Old May 10th, 2003, 07:47 AM

We used priceline to get a room at the Ress Parker Doubletree Resort. It was nice and, through Priceline, was a good value. I suggest going north. If you like wine, visit the wiineries in the Santa Barbara area and around Paso Robles. Spend a couple of days in Cambria, my favorite California beach town. See the Hearst Castle.

You might consider flying intoSanta Barbara and out of San Francisco area. That way you could continue through Carmel, Monterrey and san Francisco.

Enjoy your trip.

Be sure to rent a convertible.
Old May 12th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the reponses. I have gotten a list of some hotels from the
wedding travel planner. Does anyone know
anything about the SAnta Babara Inn or
the Hotel Oceana or the West Beach Inn.
I have checked out their websites and
the pricing is between 200-300 per night. Has anyone stayed at these hotels
or know anything about them? I do know that they are all located on the beach.
Thanks.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:16 PM

I am just beginning to plan a SB trip. The places we are looking at are not on the beach but look quite nice. See if The Simpson House is the Santa Ynez Inn are within your price range. Also do check out Lotus Land Gardens. This is a 37 acre estate for reserved tours Wednesday through Saturdays. It is supposed to be fantastic. We hope to see the gardens and tour/taste some wines. The suggestion for Cambria is a good one. Check this board for a search on Cambria places to stay. It comes up from time to time and folks have made recommendations for lodging.
Old May 22nd, 2003, 02:43 PM

Three words: Santa Barbara Inn!!!
Old May 22nd, 2003, 03:43 PM

The Santa Barbara Inn is a good choice. Right near the beach and not too expensive. It will not win the charm or luxury sweepstakes, and in some ways resembles an upscale motor inn, but has a clean fresh airy appeal. It has a fabulous top of the line restaurant too.

I don't like the Fess Parker much at all and stay there only when I have to. The rooms are very ordinary and rather dark.

The Four Seasons has wonderful facilities but the standard rooms are very overpriced for what they are. And the upgraded rooms are so expensive as to be out of most people's price range. If money is no object, this would be my top choice. A nice small beach is right near the hotel and you can use both the hotel pool and a huge Olympic-type pool at a club across the street. The hotel grounds are lovely, there is tennis on-site, and good food as well.

At a lower price point, the Franciscan Inn is an easy walk to the beach and is popular. Not fancy at all, but a good value. Probably too basic for your particular trip.