need advice with holiday destination

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need advice with holiday destination

My husband and I are keen to rent a home for a three week holiday on one of the barrier islands near Savvanah. There are so many lovely condos but being from Scotland we have no first hand experience of the area. We would welcome feedback from residents or visitors. Our first instinct is to choose St Simon Island but will be grateful for any advice.
Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Ike

Sea Island is an outstanding place to visit. They just reopened The Cloister after a $500 million renovation. I think you would enjoy Sea Island due to the nice restaurants at The Cloister and their Lodge nearby. There are cottage rentals at TC. Savannah is about 80 miles away. You could drive in to visit for the day during your 3 week trip. Good luck.

http://www.seaisland.com/

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Ike

You might want to check out Inn at Palmetto Bluff. This is a planned community of 20,000 acres with homesites, cottages, spa, restaurant, etc. You can rent a home there. It's not directly on the ocean but on the back bay waters.

http://www.palmettobluffresort.com/

Old Jul 14th, 2007, 12:11 PM

Hilton Head is a very popular destination less than one hour from Savannah airport. Beautiful beaches, great golf courses, extensive bike paths. If you enter Hilton Head rentals or Sea Pines Real Estate on a web search you will find abundant offers.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your prompt replies. I have looked at seaisalnd.com and it is indeed very beaqutiful but rather pricey for three week! But will certainly keep it in mind.
I spent a holiday on Hilton Head about seven years ago and whilst I had enjoyed it very much I would like somewhere smaller and quieter.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:28 AM
cd

libiz
I don't know if you have ever used VRBO.com but I recommend it. Just click on Georiga and it will bring up all that is offered there. We have used vrbo many times over the past few years and have only been dissappointed once.
http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/georgia
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you cd. I have looked on vrbo and am amazed at the number of beautiful properties that are available. Choosing one is very difficult. At the moment we are trying to decide between St Simons Island and Tybee Beach. Can anyone give us advice on the nicer of the two areas.
Old Jul 17th, 2007, 04:21 AM
cd

libiz
Up at the top you'll see a little box "search this forum". Type in Tybee beach and hit 'search'. This will bring up information from other posters that you will find helpful.