Need advice on LA - SF trip???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I?m heading to California to visit friends in LA and SF in early ? mid November. After leaving LA, I have 5 or 6 days to sightsee before arriving in SF. I?d appreciate your opinion of what to see and what roads to take. I?m interested in Hearst Castle (do I need reservations?), Sequoia National Park, Yosemite (my 2nd time) and scenic coastal drives. (I?ve done the Monterey to SF route before.) Do you recommend heading inland to the mountains first, or heading up the coast and heading inland from the Monterey area?
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Excuse the question marks in place of apostrophes and dashes. I don't know what happened between the time I wrote the message and it was posted. Sorry.
Old Oct 20th, 2004, 10:59 AM

You should have time to see both Hearst Castle and the Sierras (where Sequoia is), but it involves a bit of zigzagging back & forth across the not-very scenic central valley and some hours in the car. See Hearst first, then head east toward the Sierras on hwy 46. You'll pass the intersection where James Dean died! 46 is pretty dreary, mostly 2 lane, especially in November. Hearst Castle to Sequoia is prob. 6 hours. Pay attention to the Sierra weather; it could be fine, it's a bit early for much snow, except that this past week we have had drenching rain, earlier in the season than usual. Then, depending upon where you go in the Sierras (the gold miner's route, hwy. 49, passes through some lovely areas), cut back west over to Monterey. All our mountains are rather brown in November, but you may get pockets of nice fall colors on certain kinds of trees. The pines in the Sierras are always green!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Am I better off just doing the coast, taking my time and going all the way up to SF. Should I save Sequoia and Yosemite for another time?
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 08:46 AM

It all depends:

1) The weather. If it is raining, very foggy, or stormy, it'll be best to skip the coast altogether. We've been getting a lot of early rain this October, more than usual. Could herald a wet November.

2) Were you going to tour LA and/or SF? If so, then stick with either the coast or inland. You do not have enough time to do everything.

Otherwise, alloting two/three days on the way up and two/three days on the way down is certainly very doable.

Have a nice trip!
Old Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:42 AM

You know, unless you REALLY want to see certain sights on the drive, I'd consider just flying to your destination.

I just did the California coast drive and yes, much of it is beautiful. But after the first couple hundred miles, you're just looking at the road signs wondering how soon you'll be at your next stop!

Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

I'm visitng friends for 3 days in LA and other friends in Sf for 2 days. I'm wondering if I should spend leisurely time in the LA area and along the coast or drive inland to see some Yosemite and Giant Sequoias. I'm leaving soon!
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:37 PM

There is just too much to see on Highway One traveling from Los Angeles to San Francisco. You will need the 6 days to really enjoy it. Santa Barbara for a couple of days is a must. The place is beautiful, that is why it is called the Riviera of the West Coast. There are many isolated beaches and view points on your drive up. Stay in one of the little hotels along the coast while you drive up to relax and enjoy the beauty of the California coast.