Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Any major road work between SF, Yosemite, Hearst Castle & SF and drive times?

Jul 19th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Just over a week before our trip! Yippeeeee

I tried going to the CA DOT website, but my goodness they don't make it easy! Does anyone know if there are any major road closings on this route? The reason I ask is when exploring I saw that last year there was a major rock slide that closed a hwy going to Yosemite.

If anyone can give me appx. time frames for these trips that would be great. I've ran mapquests searches, but real folks experience is always better. Our route from San Simeon to SF is to take Hwy 1 to Monterey, then take 101 in to SF.

Thanks for your help!!!
Jul 19th, 2007, 08:01 AM

The only possible road closure that I know of is Hwy 140 between Mariposa and El Portal. There was a big slide last year and I don't know the status - I think the road is open, but I don't know if there are traffic controls. Coming from SF though, it would probably be better to take Hwy 120 anyway, so you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Through the Big Sur coast, I don't know of any major closures, but there is pretty much always work being done over the summers on that road - it hugs a cliff and gets the full brunt of winter storms coming off the ocean, so there is always something to be done. So be prepared for sections where one one lane is availible and the north and south bound traffic take turns using that lane.

SF to Yosemite Valley, I would plan 4-4.5 hours unless you are travelling during a high traffic time.

Yosemite to Hearst Castle, I would say another 4.5 hours.

Hearst Castle to SF, I would plan 2.5 hours to Monterey and then another 1.5-2 into SF, add another 30-60 minutes if you take the coast route all the way from Monterey to SF.
Jul 19th, 2007, 03:41 PM

Hi,
I'm assuming that you went to http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/ , I plugged in the major routes (101, 1, etc) and it seemed easy to me.

For detailed hourly reports: http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/Hourly
I always end up calling friends to check http://cad.chp.ca.gov/ when I believe there is a traffic snarl, to see if I have options to avoid it. But this is pretty much when you already see the hot spot, but it helps.

Jul 21st, 2007, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. We should be in Yosemite this time next week.
I read that there was a rock slide in Yosemite recently, but I haven't found anything about road closures, so I'm assuming everything is open now.
I can't think of a more beautiful place to be stopped for road work than the coast of California! A few years ago we were stopped on Hwy 1 north of SF for road work and we ran down to the beach. They had to yell at us to come back to our car! You know that made some people happy.
Jul 21st, 2007, 03:18 PM

The rock slide in Yosemite closed some of the cabins as it was in the valley. It didn't close any of the roads. Some people with reservations for those cabins made them a year or more ago and were contacted that the cabin they reserved was not available so they had to make alternate plans. There was not very much done for those visitors either. If they wanted alternate lodging they had to book at the higher rate.
Jul 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

I'm sorry, I was insensitive. I do feel really bad for all those people. This is probably a hard time of year to make alternate plans at the last minute (I've been there). I hope everyone finds a new place to stay. I didn't see any reports of injuries.
Jul 21st, 2007, 10:27 PM

Oh no one was injured nor did the slide hit any buildings. They closed certain cabins close to the slide area as a precaution. It's not the first time that has happened.