Need advice on hotel near Orlando airport.

Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Need advice on hotel near Orlando airport.

Need some advice. My daughter and I will be arriving in Orlando at 11o pm. The following morning we are renting a car and driving to The Villages. Need help on hotel and rental car agency as close to airport as possible to make it as convenient as we can. Any ideas?
Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:14 AM

There is are many chain hotels near the Orlando airport. I've stayed at a Hampton Inn and an Amerisuites. Both had shuttle buses to the airport. Several years ago we flew in late, stayed at the Amerisuites, then took the shuttle back to the airport and picked up our rental car. We intentionally selected a rental agency that had the cars on the airport.

The Hampton Inn I mentioned wasn't far from the Hertz off site location. You could check to see if their shuttle would take you there if you end up renting from Hertz.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

If I stayed at Amerisuites and took the shuttle back in the morning do you know which car agencys are located at the airport? I assume that would be the easiest to do. Thanks for your help Benny.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:22 AM

If you Google Orlando Airport and follow the links, there is a list of rental car agencies located both on and off the airport.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 06:58 AM

noridog08-

You have lots of choices, particularly if convenience is more important than cost. In addition to the Hampton Inn and Amerisuites bennie mentions, there is a Embassy Suites, Marriott, Holiday Inn Select, La Quinta and several others.

"If I stayed at Amerisuites and took the shuttle back in the morning do you know which car agencys are located at the airport? I assume that would be the easiest to do."

Actually Hertz and Thrifty are located closer to these hotels and it would probably be more efficient to get your car when you first arrive and then go to your hotel/motel. Hertz & Thrifty are no more than 5-10 minutes away as I explain here <http://tinyurl.com/cppzfp>. There is no need to go back to the airport to get your rental car in the A.M., although we're only talking about 2 miles.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 07:05 AM

we actually stay in the Hyatt in the airport. It is more expensive than dealing with a different hotel, but you don't have to deal with shuttle or rental car. We've appreciated the convenience of walking straight to our room.

Also, be aware that some rental cars require a pretty long shuttle (ie. Hertz). I think National is on-site, but I would check.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. The Hyatt is the most convenient but also most expensive. Just can't see spending that amount for 1 night. LaQuinta rates are great and close to Thrifty. I'm opting for LaQuinta..my daughter the Hyatt..ugh..she thinks we'll be too tired to find the shuttle, get the car and find hotel..
Jan 23rd, 2009, 10:09 AM

I find that the car rental process at Orlando to be pretty efficient. I guess whether you are tired or not depends on how long a flight you have and if there are any time changes involved. A long shuttle ride to a hotel plus a return trip back to the airport the next morning could be more tiring than just getting the car and driving to your hotel. We did it because we had small kids at the time and it seemed like a good idea plus we saved a day on the rental (not a big factor)
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:06 AM

"she thinks we'll be too tired to find the shuttle, get the car and find hotel."

Nonsense!

From another post of mine <http://tinyurl.com/cppzfp>:

Thrifty has frequent shuttles picking up from both the "A" and "B" sides of the airport. They are blue and white and are always circulating. At that hour of the night you could just wait for one (on the street level outside baggage claim), call them on a courtesy phone or call them yourself at 407-380-1002. If you want a direct line to the shuttle driver, call the gate attendant at 407-857-2604. You will have no problems getting them out quickly if you use one of these last two numbers. Oh, by the way, the gate attendant's number (407-857-2604) is unlisted, but very effective.

You could then, pick up your rental car at Thrifty and go from there to your hotel or motel in 5-10 minutes tops!
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:31 AM

Here's the link to the airport's list of car rental agencies, on property and off:

http://www.orlandoairports.net/ops/rac.htm

But really, as noted above, the car rental process is very quick in Orlando - after all, we have lots of people coming here and renting cars.

The LaQuintas are fine, both the Daetwyler location (which is older) and the one off Semoran. Orlando Vic will laugh when I note that they are our hurricane evacuation hotel of choice. ;-)
Jan 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM

"Orlando Vic will laugh when I note that they are our hurricane evacuation hotel of choice."

No finer Florida seal of approval!
Jan 23rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

You guys are too funny. I agree with the "nonsense". Shuttle to Thrifty and off to LaQuinta it is. You guys are the best. Now I hope it warms up for our visit.
Jan 23rd, 2009, 01:06 PM

"You guys are the best."

Please tell Katie to quote us. Both 321go and I could sure use a new Fodors book. Ha-Ha!