National Parks lifetime Senior Pass only $10

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2007, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Friday afternoon, my husband and I toured the Wayside National Historic Site in Concord MA (home of the Alcott family and the Hawthornes--very interesting). A couple from California were the only other visitors on the tour. As the husband was pulling out money for the entrance fee ($5 per person), the ranger pointed out that he could purchase a lifetime senior pass for the same price. We were all amazed at this incredible deal.

Here is information from the park service website:

America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass
This is a lifetime pass for U.S. citizens or permanent residents age 62 or over. The pass provides access to, and use of, Federal recreation sites that charge an Entrance or Standard Amenity. The pass admits the pass holder and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas (children under 16 are admitted free). The pass can only be obtained in person at the park. The Senior Pass provides a 50 percent discount on some Expanded Amenity Fees charged for facilities and services such as camping, swimming, boat launch, and specialized interpretive services. In some cases where Expanded Amenity Fees are charged, only the pass holder will be given the 50 percent price reduction. The pass is non-transferable and generally does NOT cover or reduce special recreation permit fees or fees charged by concessionaires.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
maj

I was amazed at how many places are actually considered National Parks (you can go to the nps web site, click on a state and find one near you)
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 08:27 AM
maj

Sorry, didn't mean to post that yet. Just wanted to add that since the pass is in my husband's name, he has been asked to show his driver's license when we have entered the parks with it.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 08:41 AM

The Senior Pass is great--it can be used in National Forests, National Monuments, National Historic Sites, and, as far as I know, any similar "National" facility that requires an admission fee.

I was told by a ranger that a picture ID is now required when using the pass, which seems a good idea to me.

Yes, I have known about this for a while, though it's good to share for those of us who don't know. My DH turns 62 in 3 years and 5 months.

It also applies to National Forest fee areas.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 09:43 AM

America the Beautiful - the National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass or "Interagency" Pass Program..

http://store.usgs.gov/pass/general.html
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 10:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
In June I went to Zion, Bryce, CG and Sedona.

On my first entrance into an NP I purchased the Senior lifetime pass and used it for all NP entrances.

They ask you to show you driver's license to make sure it's yours.

Also, I asked for a rear-view miror hang tag to hold my pass.

When I hiked around Sedona I didn't need to buy a RedRock parking pass as the Lifetime NP pass is accepted.

Also, I got 50% discounts at the Oak Creek Picnic area and Westfork just north of Sedona.

Yes, a great deal for Seniors!!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM
cd

Yes, this is a great deal for senior's. My husband got his about 5yrs ago and we have used it many times! Anyplace that is a National site. Just used it last month for the Perry Monument at Put-in-Bay. What's nice is I get in free also since I'm with him!
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:22 AM

My partner purchased one many years ago and I can't begin to tell you how many parks it's been used for -- probably 30 or more! But a week ago we were in Arizona and stopped at Casa Grande National Park. We hadn't even thought of taking his old paper worn out card with us on this trip, so instead of the $10 admission for the two of us, he bought a new card -- a much nicer plastic version this time. The very next day it came in handy as we were with a group of 4 driving the Saquarro National Park -- and his card got the whole car of us in for free.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM

Good news. Actually even for the non-retired it is possible to get a yearly pass for $50 which is a good bargain for those making trips during a year. Used it on an extended vacation during 2004 and found it to be an excellent value. Visited many great parks in the Western States and recorded many with video clips on personal web site at www.two-friends-travels.com for friends, family and whoever to view.
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 01:14 PM

John- The card now cost more.

Annual Pass ($80.00 - anyone 16 years and older can purchase)
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 04:19 PM

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm