Search

National park pass

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM
njs
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National park pass

I purchased a national park pass $80 during a recent trip.
A friend of mine wants to use it.
There are 2 places to sign on the pass.
Can my friend and I share the pass by having both of our signatures on it?
Thanks
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Unfortunately, no. The pass (and the two signature lines) are for pass holder and spouse.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Just to let you know, that many of the National Park will ask to see your drivers license with the pass to prevent others from using it.

Utahtea
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:43 PM

Not spouse but passengers-- From NPS: "The pass admits the pass holder/s and passengers in a non-commercial vehicle at per vehicle fee areas and pass holder + 3 adults, not to exceed 4 adults, at per person fee areas. (children under 16 are admitted free)"

I wanted to buy a pass for a gift last week and was told I could not as the user has to sign it and produce a driver's license. I don't know if they check the DL at the parks as I have the Golden Eagle pass but I suspect they do spot checks.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 06:54 PM

At the risk of sounding like a scolder, there are many stories of how badly the National Parks need money. I think what they provide for such a minimal amount of money is amazing. Somehow trying to find a way to get out of paying the measly amount it costs to visit one, seems more than a little "cheap".
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Funny, but last time we purchased a pass at one of the parks, the ranger told us not to sign in both spots so we could pass it on to someone else to use after we were through. And we did. Not trying to rob the park service - if they hadn't told us we could do that, we certainly would have never tried to pass it on.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM

njs,

We've had a pass for several years and have almost always been asked for a DL.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:24 AM

My husband and I have a pass and we've ALWAYS been asked for a DL every time we've used it!
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:44 AM

We've had a senior pass for years. We went to the Teddy Roosevelt home on Long Island in June and when we went to pay, the guy at the gate said "you guys should get a senior pass." (after deciding not to hit him) I said, "we have one -- at home. We never thought about going to a National Park in New York, so we didn't bring it." He refused to take money and didn't care that we didn't have the pass but waved us in. We put the cost of admission in the barrel in the visitor's center.

In a way, I'm not surprised the parks have money problems when they try to give it away so freely. When I think of all the entertainment and recreational benefits we've gotten out of that pass over the years. . .wow, what a deal.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
As Partick mentioned, there's something called a Seniors Pass.

Age 62 and older, US resident. Good for lifetime and only $10.

Make sure to ask for a hang tag when you buy it. Not required when entering a park but should be used on NPS forest hiking parking such as Red Rock Pass in Sedona area.

It also got me a 50% discount at the Crescent Moon Picnic area (Cathedral Rock).

A great deal!!!
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM

Our national parks are a bargain whether you pay by the day or buy a pass. We recently went to a national park in Canada for a few hours and it cost us almost $17 US. They also have no senior discounts.
Old Aug 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM

http://www.nps.gov/fees_passes.htm

The first National Park Pass I purchased cost $8.00.

Have the Golden Age Passport now which I was told the last time it was used it was good forever and would not be replaced by the newer named pass - The America the Beautiful – National Parks and Federal Recreational Lands Pass – Senior Pass. -Which still Cost $10.

......and yes you may be ask to show ID when you show the pass. I have many times. The pass that has a place for two to sign the back is for the spouse according to the Park Ranger I purchased the pass from the last time I had to purchase that type. He also ask for her ID. If the pass is ordered on line/phone or by mail I have no idea how this would be enforced.