Reload this Page >

Nashville - no love for Loveless Cafe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 1999, 01:03 PM
Big Ed

This place is highly recommended by Fodors and is the reason we went there. Had made reservations 4 days in advance, but were treated like any other walk-in - just waited our turn.
Unfortunately, this was the evening meal. The "Southern Fried Chicken" is better done in a deep fryer at home. The quantity of biscuits and gravy was unusual, but the gravy had no flavor.
This place is a small roadside motel restaurant (cafe?). Perhaps Fodors is recommending it for the breakfast, but we didn't dare go back to try that. We will leave the breakfasts to the many celebrities whose photgraphs adorn the walls.

Old Mar 30th, 1999, 07:31 AM
Hal

Even as a Nashville native, I'd have to concur. I've had the fried chicken as well as the breakfast foods and all were not good at all. Lukewarm food temperatures and too much salt even by Southern standards! I suppose people like Martha Stewart and certain restaurant critics have never had really good Southern cooking and have deemed it a place to go because of its "quaintness". It's also VERY out-of-the-way. If anyone is in town looking for home-cooked style food, try the Sylvan Park restaurants or even Cracker Barrel. You won't be disappointed! (And no, I don't know anyone at either of these places; this is a spam-free (no pun intended) testimonial).

Old May 23rd, 1999, 08:57 AM
Kris

I too agree. The restrooms were terible and after going in their and returning to my table, I couldn't help notice the county ham smelled like urine.

Old Oct 7th, 1999, 05:13 AM
Tamsen

Both the food and service at the Loveless Cafe are abominable. In addition to the alternatives already listed, I would suggest a place called Monell's for Southern style food. The menu changes daily--i.e. on Thursday they might offer fried chicken and catfish, and something different on other days. All food is served family style--you pay a flat price, sit down at a table and they start sending around large bowls of food. There are many other alternatives as well--particularly out in Franklin. The Loveless Cafe is nothing but a tourist trap.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 04:32 AM
wombat

Big Ed -- Haven't been at the Loveless, but have found that a Fodor's restaurant doesn't always mean too much (although many have been good).

There's a place in San Diego that they keep recommending, and frankly, I would rate McDonald's as better. I e-mailed Fodor's and described my experience; they said they would forward my message on to the regional editor. I don't know what good it will ever do, but I think you should inform Fodor's.

Old Oct 8th, 1999, 07:01 AM
Paul Revere

I had to inform Fodor's once that a restaurant they recommended in Boston had been closed for over a year.

Old Oct 19th, 2006, 04:29 PM
bwg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would the consensus still be negative for Loveless? Any recommendations for local food in Franklin area? Thanks!
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Loveless has been purchased and renovated since the early posts. The bathrooms are now clean (!) and the food is better, although pricey. Some say the biscuits are not as good but I think they're great. All in all, I would recommend it.