Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Naples, Florida-worth the high lodging prices?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2006, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending 4 nights mid February in this area just to check it out for future visits. I find the loding in Naples quite expensive for 2-249.00 for even a REsidence inn. Should we just stay there or is there a community close by that merits a hotel check.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 06:38 PM

If you're planning "future visits" to Naples then get used to it. This is a pricey area. Is it worth it? That's your call.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Is Fort Myers "just as nice", or Bonita Springs, or Sanibel? We just need a base for a three day snoop around.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 01:58 AM

School vacation week in much of the northeast starts 2/18 - availability is lower and costs higher because of that in many areas. It especially effects places like "even residence inn) because these offer better options for many families.

Checking on Travelocity 2 minutes ago, there were a number of hotels for far less than that price - have no idea of their quality, location or your needs - just looked at price.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:35 AM
GoTravel

February is peak season for Naples. President's Week in Feb is one of the busiest weeks of the year.

If you want cheaper accommodations, visit in August.

I don't think you'll find a surrounding community with cheaper rates.

Old Feb 8th, 2006, 06:40 AM

The farther you get from the beach, the cheaper the rates... for a quick snoop around the area, consider a motel near US75 or near the airport in Ft. Myers... its about an hour drive to Naples and also gives you access to Sanibel/Captiva, Ft Myers beach, Bonita, and Shopping...
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all...I made an executive decision and booked the Green Links Golf REsort 9 miles from downtown Naples...never realized it was a holiday weekend and a lot of things are booked..I think this place will be a good spring off place to visit the area..and it is supposed to be quite nice.
Old Mar 3rd, 2006, 11:30 AM
Neopolitan

Are you going to come back and tell us how this place was? It would be nice for other to know.
I've lived in Naples for years and didn't have a clue where Green Links was until I looked it up and saw it was in the Lely area in East Naples -- which should be a good location and much less traffic to "downtown" than the northern "burbs".
But how were the accomadations?

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the request to come back and let you know! The property we stayed in was really quite nice. We had booked a one bedroom for 243.00 and were going to put my mother-in-law on the pullout...I asked about the two bedroom and they gave it to us at no extra cost! Really quite lovely furniture and accomodations. Pool area was quite nice as well. Quite quiet and in the Lely Resort area about 10 minutes from "downtown" Naples. The clubhouse nextdoor had reasonable and quite good dining, so rather than drive into Naples we just ate there. Easy access to Marco Island. A couple fast food places and a grocery store were about 1 mile away. Now, if I wanted to spend more, I would have sprung for the Bellasera which gives you walking access to all the action in Naples. Visually checked out the Hilton and Staybridge Suites which are right on 41 and right in the congestion..they looked nice but you would of had to still drive into the core area..and parking was not that easy the weekend we went. If you have more questions, feel free to ask!